Google maps w 10+ stops

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
Ok gurus, I need a little help here. 2 weeks ago I did an Ss2000gold. I've been playing hell trying to populate a map w all my stops. I tried MapQuest, but it would not let me copy the link, another member sent a link on how to force Google maps to accept more than 10 stops. I tried it and was able to do so but it won't let me open it back up in the browser only in maps the app. I don't know if this is because I only have a tablet to do this on. Can anyone turn the following link into the kind I need to put on my cert application pretty please?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RBbmJ9y2ywBK3p6DA

WhereIsBobL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Try google.com/mymaps. Not great for route planning, but great for showing and trip planning. Can EXPORT kml files, which can be converted to gpx files to be used as tracks. All easier to do on a computer, but phone works too. I think it still limits you to 10 stops on individual route, but can creat multiple routes, and export them, then bring them back in as a kml/gpx, and the route will be a line. The stops can be modified to be stars or anything you like.

Of course, there are lots of other programs available, on line and off.

Ed.

Premier Member
There is a way to do it by creating two separate routes of the two halves and then cutting and pasting part of the url address from one into the other (to extend the original url). I can't remember exactly which part you need to copy from but pretty sure I have previously found a good, easy to follow description out there in Google-land

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
There is a way to do it by creating two separate routes of the two halves and then cutting and pasting part of the url address from one into the other (to extend the original url). I can't remember exactly which part you need to copy from but pretty sure I have previously found a good, easy to follow description out there in Google-land

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
I also figured out, once you have a route that has say 20 stops in it save that to your home screen and you can open it back up and edit the stops. That way you only have to do the cut and paste route One Time

WhereIsBobL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The above link was according to the written instructions. The following is doing it the way the video shows it. Not sure why they would want it this way, I would follow the written instructions, but the last cert ride I submitted was in 2000, so I am learning a lot here.

EDIT - Well, THIS doesn't help. It just shows a shortened URL, and you are back to the same problem. So I guess just use the original link you had in your first post.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/997...a997036b39!2m2!1d-83.6259927!2d32.8504329!3e0

CB650F

Premier Member
If you need to, you can split it up into 2 maps for the verification team. One is certainly preferred, but they can work with two. I mean, they almost have to with some of the longer rides. A 48/10, for example, with have at least 48 DBRs, so 48+ stops. I've never tried it, but I doubt Google maps will be able to handle 48 stops. I bet there is a hard coded limit that can't be fudged with just copy/paste. An intrinsic limit to the number of characters in an URL maybe?

Anyway, your original link seems to work fine and I'm on a desktop. It should work for your application, if you haven't sent it in yet. (You probably have by now, right?)

EDIT: After a bit of playing around with Google Maps, it looks like 25 stops is a hard limit. Every time I try to add a 26th stop, I get weird errors like Google not being able to find Houston, TX. So, in theory, you can put all the stops of a 48/10 on two maps. I doubt you can reasonably do a 48/10 with less than 50 total stops though.

Last edited:

WhereIsBobL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
EDIT: After a bit of playing around with Google Maps, it looks like 25 stops is a hard limit. Every time I try to add a 26th stop, I get weird errors like Google not being able to find Houston, TX. So, in theory, you can put all the stops of a 48/10 on two maps. I doubt you can reasonably do a 48/10 with less than 50 total stops though.
I came to the same conclusion, it was not URL character length, just 25 stops. The problem with stitching URL's together is that it can get confused as to locations. For example, when I stitched two together, Jamaica vt became the Country of Jamaica. I suppose if you have full addresses rather than just clicking on a town it might not have that issue. Also, if you have any shaping points (shouldn't on an IBA submission) they will not properly carry over.

CB650F

Premier Member
I noticed a few cities change states when stitching maps together. I saw that in the URL, I only had a city name listed. If I listed city and state, like /Houston,+Texas/ or /Rapid+City,+South+Dakota/ it always got the right one. Clicking on the city name would sometimes just put a city in the URL instead of both city and state. Try being more specific with the place names.