GPS Recomendations - PLEASE!!

BMWguy

IBA Member
Ok... I have 2 Garmin 2610 Street pilots that I presently use and do all my routes on a 2008 version of MapSource. They have served me well but the whole combination is terribly outdated and I need to upgrade. (MapSource is now defunct and new mapping software is not compatible with the older Street Pilot units.)
I'd still prefer using a PC to plan routes / waypoints using BaseCamp. Just much easier with a 17" monitor.

In place of wading through all the units available, I thought I'd contact the professionals for advice. What are you all using that will accept transfers from BaseCamp? And something that I won't have to take a second mortgage to purchase?
Don't really need bluetooth / MP3 player or traffic updates, but I would like to plug in my helmet speakers so I can hear the nice lady tell me that I'm "off route - recalculating"... o_O

Thanks guys & gals
Mike

BMWguy

IBA Member
Amnon,
Thank you for the suggestion. I have not graduated to a smart phone - using my old flip phone as it does what I need. (My daughter calls it a "dumb phone" - LOL! But, it works fine for me!)
I'm looking more at the Zumo line from Garmin - I like that they have an audio out connection for my helmet speakers, among other nice features.

Thanks again for the suggestion and I know of another rider who may well benefit from your response.

Mike

Slasher

Premier Member
Something to remember if you are interested in getting a Zumo, Garmin will give you 20% off their new GPS's if you trade in your old one. I recently had one of my Zumo 550's lock up while doing a map update. I called Garmin and they told me they no longer supported the 550 for service but I was eligible for an upgrade. The way the upgrade works is like this... I had to pay full retail on my new Zumo 590lm, then I had to mail my dead Zumo 550 back to Garmin, about two days after they confirmed receiving my old GPS, Garmin credited 20% back to my credit card. It's still a stupid amount of money for a GPS but, it's the cheapest you can get the 590lm for anywhere right now.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
A VERY cheap way would be to get an older iphone and a waterproof case and install Garmin Maps on the iphone. You will NOT need data or cell service for this to work.

I use my Nav V and my iPhone both at the same time to predict different routes and destinations when "on the clock"

PS if you got data / cell on the iPhone I also use the weather APPS to route around weather and you could use Waze to also route around traffic.

BMWguy

IBA Member
Thanks Paul,
Is it possible to plan routes and save waypoints with the older iPhone / Garmin Map setup?
Or... is this more of an electronic map thing?

See Greg Rices's website and his GPS recommendation.

Greg Rice's site

GPS Recommendation
This posting just sucked many hours out of my life. I knew I needed another GPS and now is the time so this post was very timely for me.

I have a goldwing, and I am wired right now with only the stock GPS, which is painful to use with long rally routes. I had to break up my last into four parts just to get it to load.

However, now I had come to a crossroad. The choice to switch to bluetooth, the best method and the costs. However, I can do some wiring and have phone, GPS and GW audio system through the wire, bluetooth the phone through the GPS at a lower cost finally won. The main drawback is I have to do some motorcycle wiring, which I am not too skilled at and I will not be able to connect to my riding buddy as he has bluetooth and I was hoping to use bike to bike comms.

Bluetooth for a Wing is an expensive option. If Sena could have made a good solution with their AUX port by porting the microphone output to it, but nooooo. I have to buy multiple Sena devices to work the CB. There is a Sena bluetooth solution, but it is in the $600 range and one has to switch back and forth from CB to Bluetooth mode and back.

There is also a Nolan helmet with bluetooth and tied to the goldwing cable. However, the new B5 cable for wings and Harleys is not out yet. This would have been in the $700 range.

Then if I was to bluetooth everything I would go to the Zumo 595LM at $899.

So I was almost ready to sink almost $1500 into a bluetooth GPS setup. It is almost makes one sick for that price and makes one mad that mother Honda has not included GPS in Goldwings. I am sure that would cause many people to trade-in their old Wings for new Wings.

I am taking Greg up on the 2797 model after many painstaking hours of research and deciding I could use the extra money for lights! I got a referb 2797, ram mount ball and case for $218 out the door. A couple hundred more in cables (http://www.cellset.com/65531R0.pdf and http://goldwingdocs.com/Store/Goldwing-GPS-Audio-Input.asp) I will have a nice setup thought still wired. I will be able to make and place calls through the wired Wing connections, the whole audio system will still work including CB and if need be I can call my friend while we are riding. Finally the screen is 7" and not 5".

There is only one question I have with the setup: Why are we cutting and soldering? It just makes more sense to find the small connectors to the main board and include those in the kit. Then pop both speaker and microphone, and pop on the new connectors. Seems easier to me. I spent a couple hours trying to find our which kind of connectors those are with no success and maybe that is the answer. lol

Finally, Thank You JACGuzzi for posting Greg Rice's post and Greg Rice for making it. It saved me some $$$ Cheers to you!!

Michael,

Isn't it going to be a problem that the 2797 is not waterproof?
You cover some openings with tape, and the case looks like it encloses the device pretty well. Also it will be mount behind the windshield. Worst case I use a baggy and voice commands. I can also find a replacement for less than $200. Greg Rice has used his for thousands of miles according to his article. It would be interesting to see if he was in last years Iron Butt and was using this device. If it survived that rain, I say, "GOOD!" lol

Hi - does anyone use a Spot tracker as an evidence source?

Looking to do my first SS1000 in July in the US(route aprox - Las Vegas towards Sturgis via Wells, NV - details to be ironed out) while on a trip from Anchorage to San Francisco via some "interesting places"

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Hi - does anyone use a Spot tracker as an evidence source?

Looking to do my first SS1000 in July in the US(route aprox - Las Vegas towards Sturgis via Wells, NV - details to be ironed out) while on a trip from Anchorage to San Francisco via some "interesting places"
SPOT tracks, saved in a Spotwalla account, is very good additional documentation but does not replace the required witness forms, receipts, and ride log.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

This posting just sucked many hours out of my life. I knew I needed another GPS and now is the time so this post was very timely for me.

I have a goldwing, and I am wired right now with only the stock GPS, which is painful to use with long rally routes. I had to break up my last into four parts just to get it to load.

However, now I had come to a crossroad. The choice to switch to bluetooth, the best method and the costs. However, I can do some wiring and have phone, GPS and GW audio system through the wire, bluetooth the phone through the GPS at a lower cost finally won. The main drawback is I have to do some motorcycle wiring, which I am not too skilled at and I will not be able to connect to my riding buddy as he has bluetooth and I was hoping to use bike to bike comms.

Bluetooth for a Wing is an expensive option. If Sena could have made a good solution with their AUX port by porting the microphone output to it, but nooooo. I have to buy multiple Sena devices to work the CB. There is a Sena bluetooth solution, but it is in the $600 range and one has to switch back and forth from CB to Bluetooth mode and back.

There is also a Nolan helmet with bluetooth and tied to the goldwing cable. However, the new B5 cable for wings and Harleys is not out yet. This would have been in the $700 range.

Then if I was to bluetooth everything I would go to the Zumo 595LM at $899.

So I was almost ready to sink almost $1500 into a bluetooth GPS setup. It is almost makes one sick for that price and makes one mad that mother Honda has not included GPS in Goldwings. I am sure that would cause many people to trade-in their old Wings for new Wings.

I am taking Greg up on the 2797 model after many painstaking hours of research and deciding I could use the extra money for lights! I got a referb 2797, ram mount ball and case for $218 out the door. A couple hundred more in cables (http://www.cellset.com/65531R0.pdf and http://goldwingdocs.com/Store/Goldwing-GPS-Audio-Input.asp) I will have a nice setup thought still wired. I will be able to make and place calls through the wired Wing connections, the whole audio system will still work including CB and if need be I can call my friend while we are riding. Finally the screen is 7" and not 5".

There is only one question I have with the setup: Why are we cutting and soldering? It just makes more sense to find the small connectors to the main board and include those in the kit. Then pop both speaker and microphone, and pop on the new connectors. Seems easier to me. I spent a couple hours trying to find our which kind of connectors those are with no success and maybe that is the answer. lol

Finally, Thank You JACGuzzi for posting Greg Rice's post and Greg Rice for making it. It saved me some $$$ Cheers to you!!
Michael, I have this very setup and like it quite well. I was lucky enough to have Jon Jambor (owner of Kennedy Electronics) do the modification to my 2797 himself back when he offered this service. I will try to post a pic of mine.

HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure that Greg Rice has found something even better than the 2797 that requires modification. He now uses a "Dezl" (or something like that) that requires no modification what so ever to work with the Goldwing's headset system. Please contact Greg for further because I can't remember what model he went to but do remember it's still a 7in screen.

Oops pic I mentioned is too big to load and I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

Dan