GPS Recomendations - PLEASE!!

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Have you considered getting a tom tom rider? I have one and like it a lot, it's waterproof, glove friendly, no glare, this is my third season with it, you can get a tom tom 400 and a sena smh10 for less than $600.

Last edited:
Cant edit my post right now.....I meant to say the model Greg now uses requires NO modification to work with the wings wiring like the 2797 does.
Dan look at post #2 above by javguzzi and click on the red link to "gps recommendation". It brings up Greg Rice's write up about his newest "truck" GPS which he went to after the 2797.

He says, in part: All that being said I must tell you that Garmin recently came out with a new truck GPS ( Dezl 770LMTHD ) that one upped the 2797 by adding the ability to connect to a Bluetooth headset like the Zumo models do and a cell phone at the same time.

gramps

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Garmin recently discontinued the Zumo 660/665 and they can be had for reasonable prices. I've seen the 660 for $320 at GPS City and 665 for $449 on Amazon

Dan look at post #2 above by javguzzi and click on the red link to "gps recommendation". It brings up Greg Rice's write up about his newest "truck" GPS which he went to after the 2797.

He says, in part: All that being said I must tell you that Garmin recently came out with a new truck GPS ( Dezl 770LMTHD ) that one upped the 2797 by adding the ability to connect to a Bluetooth headset like the Zumo models do and a cell phone at the same time.

gramps
Even with the 770, the GW audio still has to have some modifications that cost ~$500 to send the audio to the bluetooth headset from the GW. If you have a CB and want that to work too one needs two headsets from what I have read.

Michael, I have this very setup and like it quite well. I was lucky enough to have Jon Jambor (owner of Kennedy Electronics) do the modification to my 2797 himself back when he offered this service. I will try to post a pic of mine.

Dan
I have everything from Kennedy Electronics come in yesterday. Going to install this weekend, and I have been using the GPS while I drive to work each day in my car to learn it features. The voice commands are AWESOME!! I also tied in traffic and weather using my phone to the Nuvi.

I have to say Kennedy responded to my emails over Easter weekend and I was even sent a quote and paid on Easter Day. He sent it out Monday and it is in my hands now! Great customer service, which I would rarely say about any company lately. Thumbs up to them! :)

I would be interested in any cable routing tips your might have.

I have everything from Kennedy Electronics come in yesterday. Going to install this weekend, and I have been using the GPS while I drive to work each day in my car to learn it features. The voice commands are AWESOME!! I also tied in traffic and weather using my phone to the Nuvi.

I have to say Kennedy responded to my emails over Easter weekend and I was even sent a quote and paid on Easter Day. He sent it out Monday and it is in my hands now! Great customer service, which I would rarely say about any company lately. Thumbs up to them! :)

I would be interested in any cable routing tips your might have.
You seem to be a "do it yourself" kinda a guy....I am not. Once I received my modified 2797 from Kennedy I took my bike & modified 2797 to Sierra Electronics in Ohio and had them wire it up. It comes on with the switch and the wire runs along the left handle bar seamlessly. The power connection is under the left glove box I believe. Sorry can't be of more help in that regard. Been using it for a year now and love it and all the extra features like "up ahead" gas stations & such & the weather radar when bluetoothed to Garmin SmartLink on my smart phone.

I still have to play with my Kennedy "cell set" settings a little to get the voice recognition to work a little better in my full face helmet. It doesn't always hear or pickup my "voice command" and from what Jon Jambor advised me I can play with the settings in the cell set to help this issue. I also have trouble at times getting the 2797 to be bluetoothed to my phone (make/receive calls) and the Garmin SmartLink app (weather radar) at the same time. It seems to want to do one or the other just fine but not both so I need to look into that further.

In all I am very happy with it and saved about $700 or more. I just carry a zip lock baggie in the glove box.

Dan

gramps
Right you are Gramps. Totally missed that, thanks.

You seem to be a "do it yourself" kinda a guy
Dan
Nope I am just cheap... :rolleyes: Plus, it helps to understand the MC a little better each time I do something to it.

I also have trouble at times getting the 2797 to be bluetoothed to my phone (make/receive calls) and the Garmin SmartLink app (weather radar) at the same time. It seems to want to do one or the other just fine but not both so I need to look into that further.
Dan
I tried that with my iPhone6+ and it worked fine. Maybe its your phone? Try it a friends phone. :confused:

BMWguy

IBA Member
Have you considered getting a tom tom rider? I have one and like it a lot, it's waterproof, glove friendly, no glare, this is my third season with it, you can get a tom tom 400 and a sena smh10 for less than $600.
Hey Rodney,
Yep - I've looked at the Tom Tom line and they are definitely under consideration.
A friend has one (400) on his ST1300 and it performs well.
Still considering a Zumo, but certainly have not ruled out the Tom Tom 400.

Thanks for the reply,
Mike

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The dezl series of GPS units from Garmin are aimed at the trucking/rv market. They have 3 modes, Trucking, RV and Auto. I use the auto mode exclusively.

I use that dezl 760, which fits the same ram mount as the 2797, (and 2757). Worth noting is that the 760 is one of the few Garmin units that has an audio out plug. (3.5mm)

Greg may chime in, but I know he has played with the 760, but is also using a dezl 770 unit that fully supports blue tooth to moto headsets like Sena. I have to use a transmitter dongle to get audio to my Sena from the dezl 760.

The 770 is thicker and does not fit in the ram mount/cradle that works so well with the 2797 & 760 units. I contacted Ram, and they recently decided to make a mount/cradle for the 770, but have no firm timeline.

I have had great success with reman Garmin GPS units. The price point is hugely attractive compared to the dedicated zumo moto units. I have done taping similar to Greg's excellent write up on the 2797. No water issues so far. I do cover it with a Ziploc bag if heavy rain appears to be ahead. It is fairly well protected behind my screen on the Super Tenere.

Garmin has new units, 395 & 595, I believe, that support music via the smart phone using Pandora and other similar services. (data heavy!)

Hope that helps

You cover some openings with tape, and the case looks like it encloses the device pretty well. ..(snip)... If it survived that rain, I say, "GOOD!" lol
It may be worth noting that many 2797 users have added silicone between the screen and the bezel. The RAM Mount is not sufficient to protect the unit from rain damage. When water gets between the screen and bezel, bad things happen. I thought the RAM Mount would be good enough, but that proved false.

There are some helpful utube videos showing this modification.

YMMV

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Anyone use a Bluetooth dongle to transmit the gps directions to a headset?
Yes, I ddi this with my dezl 760. The 760 still has an audio out plug. I have tried a few and some worked better than others, but any transmitting dongle generally does the job. I always power them from the bike. Most generic dongles are receivers, so search specifically for transmitting dongles. I got a small 12v to 5v power unit and wired that in at the dash, then plugged the dongle into it. Scotch dual-lock attached the dongle to the top of the GPS Ram cradle. Easy enough to unplug and pull the GPS when needed and it stayed in place just fine.

I was using the dongle to send GPS sound to my Sena 20S Evo. If I paired the phone, I just did it direct to the Sena. I could have listened to audio books thru the card in the dezl 760, but never tried to do that or see if I could put music on an SD card and listen from the GPS.

If you want music, your best bet is going thru the phone and an unlimited data package. Pandora or similar. Otherwise you're looking at finding a Zumo 550 and adding XM subscription as a second unit, just so you have music. The wife has had her 550 since '11 and you won't get it from her w/o prying it from her cold, dead hands. And if you go that route, never update! It will brick the thing or if you're "lucky" just eliminate the XM functionality and you'll have to send it off for repair and re-doing the firmware back to a version that can handle XM. And you still won't have current maps. BTDT, got the bills to prove it. She still uses the 550 for other functions, but uses a newer GPS for any routing/mapping work.

@Concourstador - I did the zip lock bag and hair ties over my dezl 760 and 2797 if it was going to rain all day or was a hard rain. The 760 survived a 30 day Alaska trip in June where it rained every other day, most of the day, w/o issues using the baggies as needed. A gallon size worked for me. Not ideal, buy you can buy a lot of zip lock bags for the price difference between a Zumo and a dezl.

@ethanan - I suppose battery life depends on how many hours a day you're using it. Here is a comparison for handheld GPS units. LINK Most seem to be around 16 hours, with a couple more than that with different batteries. My car/bike units are more like an hour or two at most off the bike battery life.