GPS Suggestions

This past summer, I was doing some IBA rides and had trouble with Spotwalla (think operator error). My IBA mentor, Doug, recommended a second stand alone GPS unit in addition to Spotwalla. I currently use the Spotwalla app on my phone. I'm curious which GPS units you guys use and have had success with.
TIA

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I use Spot X (non-Bluetooth version), primarily for the keypad. In the event of an emergency, I can send and receive text messages without needing a cellular connection or a Bluetooth connection to my phone. I like that it allows me to not only send an emergency signal, but have dialog with a person so that I know my needs are being heard and confirmed. It's not a feature I use often (maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 3 years, mostly out in the western desert to let my wife know I was okay), but in the event of an emergency it is very valuable.

The down side is that it's a little larger than other trackers, but that's not a huge concern for me. I consider it a worthwhile tradeoff.

SpotX was all that was readily available, got the RamX mount and haven't had any issues. Very pleased with how long it keeps a charge and once charged and setup, all is good. BMW Nav5 for GPX routes from Basecamp, IPhone 12 for Google Map of same route and BMW Connect will supply a track after the fact

Last edited:

Jeff Hallquist

Jeff Hallquist
Premier Member
I use a Gen 4 Spot Tracker and SW (Spotwalla) Tracker on my iPhone for documenting my track. I download GPX files into Basecamp for identification, location, renaming waypoints, and routing. I then upload the modified GPX file into my Garmin XT GPS, my Harley-Davidson GTS Nav GPS, and my iPhone InRoute GPS for route directions. One GPS is for a long-distance view of the route. One is for a closer view. And the third GPS is for running "what if" scenarios. I need to pick one GPS as the master because they will show differing routes based on preloaded avoidances and particular GPS nuances.

Russ Black

Premier Member
I believe I know the Doug for which you speak. He is full of wisdom. All who have responded so far are all Premier members and do more than Certificate rides. Rallies and themed rides are a bit harder and we use any and all things we can to get that edge including redundancy. Heck, that's half the challenge but I digress.

Everything is based on what you want and how much you want to spend. Garmin's Zumo XT is their current state of the art GPS for motorcycles at between $350 - $400. It is daylight readable and glove friendly. I have borrowed a friends for a ride and it is nice but it didn't like my Mac. I am retired and on a fixed budget so I went to E-Bay and got used Nuvi series GPS's for around $15-20. I mount them so their in my face and I can see the screen without having to look down. They don't bluetooth to my helmet but that is what the app on the phone is for. This setup has serve me well. I have a sun visor for the day and cover them with a ziplock bag in the rain. They have been saturated several because I misplaced the ziplock or forgot to cover them and it rained overnight and they still work.

I have had issues using Spotwalla on Certificate rides this past year. One being a Spotwalla Glitch and one self inflicted. That is when I started using two iPhones with Spotwalla for tracking. I upgraded to a newer model and I use the older one connected to the bikes power in the trunk running SWConnect connected to Spotwalla via the other iPhones hotspot. I assume you could do the same using bubbler. I'll have to try that on my next Certificate ride. I use my new iPhone for turn by turn navigation in concert with my Garmin GPS for which I have a backup in the trunk as well. All of the navigation devices and apps are loaded with the same route and waypoints.

The phone based tracking works well if your doing certificate rides up and down interstates. Back road are usually not a problem either as the data usually gets buffered and sent once a signal is once again received. I've been doing it this way for over five years but I have always had a Satellite based GPS because I traveled out west and prefer not to be on the beaten path. If your usually riding solo in areas with spotty cell-signals, then you might consider getting a Satellite based tracker, I'd go to the findmespot.com website and learn whats available. There are a plethra of used Spot devices offered on E-Bay

Hey everybody! Thanks so much for your replies and advice. I think in my original post that I misspoke in regards to needing a GPS. My bike (2017 Ultra Limited) has GPS and I use that for directions. I am seeking information about tracking devices. I think I'm looking for a secondary tracking device. I use my iPhone for Spotwalla - and that's where the glitch occurred as I forgot to start it.

Additionally, I've tried using the record option in the Harley GPS system and that didn't work as it stopped recording partway through the certificate ride.

So, the question is...what is a good secondary/additional tracking device in addition to my phone? Or would I be better off going with an additional GPS unit instead of a tracking device? What are your thoughts?

My plan is this summer to do the Coast to Coast certificate ride and I want to have this figured out!

Thanks for clarification - SpotX and SWTracker(IPhone) or Bubbler (Android) - Spotwalla will combine the tracks. This solution works for me but there are other options. Have a great putt!

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
So, the question is...what is a good secondary/additional tracking device in addition to my phone? Or would I be better off going with an additional GPS unit instead of a tracking device? What are your thoughts?
Maybe this will help to answer your question...

* GPS Unit (i.e. navigation unit) - It's sole purpose is to triangulate your location from a constellation of satellites. It cannot send back information, so it that sense it's "listen only". Certain units might be able to keep track of the route you took, but it'll be up to you to export that data and do with it what you will. Compatibility with other mapping applications is not guaranteed.

* Tracking device (i.e. Spot trackers, Garmin InReach, SWTracker/Bubbler apps, etc.) - Two-way communication devices. Not only do they triangulate your position on a map, but they can send back information via cellular signal (apps) or direct satellite communication (dedicated trackers). In that sense, they both "listen" and "talk". Certain tracking devices will work directly with Spotwalla, which makes it very easy to place your location history on a map. Additionally, the Spot and Garmin InReach devices function as emergency locators. In the event of something catastrophic clear out in the hinterlands, you could find yourself without cell service. In that case, a tracking device could become very useful to you. Only you can decide whether that's worth the price, and at that point you'll need to determine what level of communication ability you'll want to have (a Spot X allows you to send and receive text messages like a phone, but other units can't do that).

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
For GPS Garmin also sells the 396 LMT-S. This is also a moto-specific unit that's cheaper than the Zumo XT. The XT has a bigger, brighter screen, but otherwise I find the 396 performs better. I have both and run them side by side. I load the same route in both units.

My problem with the XT is it's terrible at dynamic rerouting. If I go off route - say, to get gas or use local knowledge - the XT often gets stuck on the original route, insisting I retrace my steps no matter how inefficient. Meanwhile the 396 just goes with the flow and recalculates the route. During a 38 hour rally last summer I had to stop and restart routing on the XT 3-4 times, but the 396 worked perfectly the whole time.

I've been through all the settings and no joy. I'm actually considering trashing the XT and getting another 396. Except for the screen it's a better GPS IMO.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am a little out of the ordinary when it comes to GPS’s. I only buy Garmin GPS’s which is ordinary but I have used truck and RV GPS’s on my motorcycle’s.

I currently have a Zumo XT and a Garmin RV 890 on my GSA.

I really like the RV890.

2366110C-2604-4233-96E6-0F427D4432DA.jpeg

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Greg: Can you tell us the features / advantages of the RV890 over a DEZL770 ?
The RV 890 has the same features of the Zumo XT but a much bigger screen. It is a step above the Dezl 770 which I really liked and used for about 200,000 miles.

The Zumo XT and RV 890 are built on the Android OS and you can add some apps to them especially on the RV 890.

One of the big features for me is the ability to see your waypoints out to 50 miles on the search screen.