GTR's (Get Together Rides)

MIXR

Eden is always a good place for me. Lots of great rides inland. Coachman's Motel on the north side is fine with good pricing. Nice quiet side of town. Eden Sport and Rec Club is just a short walk over the road (the Princess Highway) with excellent tucker. Been there a couple of times.

Other option is Corryong. We do this a couple of times a year. Top pub is a few houses south of the Mountain View Motel. Pub also has accommodation that works. Popular spot.

Kimmie

Eden is always a good place for me. Lots of great rides inland. Coachman's Motel on the north side is fine with good pricing. Nice quiet side of town. Eden Sport and Rec Club is just a short walk over the road (the Princess Highway) with excellent tucker. Been there a couple of times.

Other option is Corryong. We do this a couple of times a year. Top pub is a few houses south of the Mountain View Motel. Pub also has accommodation that works. Popular spot.
Either spot works for me.
Haven't eaten at the Bottom Pub in years, so can't attest to whether it's still as good as you remember Mixr

MIXR

The bottom pub (the one in town at the south end) started an expensive reno a few years ago. It went broke doing that and closed its doors. The manager from there ended up as a bar manager (I think that was his position) at the top pub (the one at the north end near the Mountainview Motel).

The Courthouse (as it was known) may have re-opened by now. Seems to show up, but the accommodation may now be expensive after the reno. No idea as we stopped staying there many years ago as it went downhill too often. We usually stay at the Mountainview and drink/eat at the Corryong Hotel/Motel.

Both pubs seemed to swap recommendations a lot in years past, but we have been staying northside for many years due to the ample close-by accommodation choices. Meals were/are at the pub, or a shortish walk to the Bowling Club for a good Chinese feed in their restaurant.

Anyway, just a suggestion for Gatey who wanted some ideas.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi MIXR and Kimmie
I can look into those places or maybe either of you two might like to work out a date and start a New Topic for the next GTR.
Might I suggest a date after the Christmas stuff is over with.
Both places sound like they would be top spots to spend a weekend.
Hells bells I better start working out a route.

MIXR

Cheers Gatey.
I'm currently trying to plan a GTR with some local mates. That will probably be based out of Corryong for February or March as they want to do the Alpine roads over a few days, so I'll have to see how that pans out as I'm not the bloke choosing the dates for that but provided them with the route details we used early this year.. I don't really keep tabs on what else is going on with other groups or events, but just wanted to throw in my two cents on possible locations. I'll see what my local colleagues come up with and then look harder at an IBA GTR if nothing eventuates with this here. Good idea though. Depends on whether you want the Gathering or the Ride to prevail.

HACKLE

Just my observations Biggles. I think that the reason Far Road is fairly quiet is because Kwaka hasn't got the time to run it how he initially planned. He wanted it to be similar to FarRiders. Great, but as the holder of the wheel you have to drive it accordingly, not expect your followers to do the planning for you. Don't get me wrong, I think Bazz's idea is a great one. But maybe now's the time for someone else to take charge and drive it into the future.
You may remember when FarRiders was folding, myself and others tried to take it over. Ghosty wasn't interested. Maybe that's what needs to be done regards with Bazz's baby.
Just my personal observations that's all. Cheers.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
OK Guys lets get this back on track Hmmm.

You can attend a GTR by what ever route you choose.
You can attend a destination by what ever route you choose.
You can attend if you like or you can do something else.
You can make it as hard or as soft as you like.
You can start days in advance of the GTR meet date, enjoy some nice sunrises and sunsets too.
You can boast about that great breakfast you had at such and such ...or you might share info about some place with good service.
You might see an opportunity to click some pics of Silo Art on your travels.
You might spot RB in his glider or Jeff in his kitchen
You might get some head time. Might be the only time you've relaxed in months.
You might be in need of company. A smiling face and a safe place.
You can bring a mate along.
You can help connect a face to a name. See the person who wrote that RR and have a chat.
You can maybe get a hand with some IT trick you need.
You can drink beer with other guys and gals out on the veranda of some place you've never been too.
You can remind yourself that not everything needs to be planned. Not every bike thing has to be hard. Not every bike ride has to be documented. Remind yourself of the times when you did the ks and new YOU did.

GTRs.
Get Together Rides. Most or much or some of the things above might just happen cos they do. GTRs came to be on the Sunday morning of the Dalby Muster. 5 long time members thought it a good idea to fill a gap between musters . This is not the thing out of QLD. Do your history.
GTRs are for head space. A chance to touch base. An opportunity to do a mental health check, notice or be told your maybe need help. Maybe offer some help.
A chance to ask for that help. Or not. But its there.
An opportunity to help another. A chance to give a hand. For some this might be a touch stone. A no big deal mental check-up. A handshake.
GTRs was never intended as a substitute for any other forum type.
Add Edit. A chance to contribute to the growth of the group.
Thank you.

Its just Getting Together.

Last edited:

Kimmie

FYI for the Corryong Pubs.

Courthouse Hotel = Top Pub is in the middle of town, has accommodation & the restaurants feed is pretty good. They have a garden out the back and parking if you stay (they were closed for a long time but the new owners & Chef are pretty good and accommodation to large groups).

Corryong Hotel/Motel = Bottom Pub, has accommodation but not sure about the meals or the acco at the pub. It's just down the road from the Mountainview Motel - good accommodation has a pool and BBQ area, parking out front of your room.

If you're thinking of my home town, Feb is the time.
After that it gets a bit busy with Easter and the Man from Snowy River Festival with both book out all the accommodation in town and surrounds.
April it starts to get too cold with the threat of ice on the roads.

Just food for thought.

@Gatey - Just Getting Together works for me!!!
I just want to see you crazy lot or whoever turns up. Doesn't matter to me if it's only 300mt from my house (I can always throw in a Granya run :))