Hand guards and foot extenders

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
I was asked at John and Sonia's ride to eat last weekend if the Nippy Norman BMW GS/GSA hand guards and foot extenders were worth the money. At the time I had only just put them on the bike. As a result I had only ridden 500 miles with them so was unable to comment.

Having now covered 1300 miles this week (about the same distance any magazine reviewer would consider a long review) "I feel confident to comment on them."

Hand guards are excellent providing a still area of air around the gloved hand. In winter gloves with heated grips on 1st position and speeds up to 70mph hands stayed warm and dry down to -2.5 C as indicated on the temp gauge. Not tested below this temp.

Foot extenders also provided an area of still air. My boots also remained dry and clean during rain and resultant spray. The big problem with the extenders was that I noticed my knees getting cold from the air passing between the cylinders and fuel tank :-( New problem to solve.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Nice one Gordon

The FJR1300 Gen2 suffers from the same fate with the air flow...

Fitting the lower optional extenders is excellent (boot area) and moving the sides out to the outer setting pushes the air away from your knees. (Worth the investment)
Hand guards work and if 4" Clearwater lights are fitted to the mirror mounts then the this helps deflect the air flow even more.

Down side...

If you fit Canyon cages you have to remove the lower option ... working on a workaround now to fit them back on as they were removed in Australia.
Hand guards are off at the moment to test new gloves.