Harley Touring suitable for IBR?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The FJR has a two piece seat design. If you go that route, consider a flat bed fuel cell instead of the over the pillion seat design. Unless you need your rear seat during rallies for a passenger, it's a big improvement in handling and weight position. I've run flat bed fuel cells on my FJR and Super Ten and also run pillion seat ones, I wouldn't even consider the over the pillion style at this point unless financial constraints were so tight that I couldn't justify a flat bed fuel cell. Simple to use the cargo space for a variety of things when needed as well.

FLHXHS

Premier Member
First of all - I have not ridden a rally. I wanted to try out the NW Rally - Thanks Covid.
Prior to the border lockdown - I rode my 2017 FLHXSE on the I-5 Gold, and a Looooooong tour from Vancouver, BC, to Carlsbad, Vegas, NOLA, Daytona, Philidelphia. After a car rental to Boston, flew home, returned to the motorcycle stored for 40 days, Rode to Williamburg, Nashville, Cleveland, Ottawa [ONT], Milwaukee, Golden, Back to LVNV, and home to Vancouver.

All this with the M8 Motor.

I think the twin cooled works pretty well. The FLHXSE had Fullsac headers and the modded baffles with 2.0", a K&N filter, and TTS Tuner. Stock cam. With HD Dunlop Tires I usually get 20,000 km rear and 40,000 front.

No issues with heating - [cat converter aside]. But the twin cooling requires lowers. That puts you in the Limiteds. So now you need a fairing.

I've rented a Road Glide, but don't care for the side wind problems. In a headwind it's awesome. Lane splitting is a little interesting.

I've since traded in that 2017 as I never bought the tourpak, and it was 70,000 km [still lots left] and my wife said to try the FLHTKSE. I got a tourpak with electric locks, +1" suspension [which sucks for my short legs], and a reset odometer. It's done one SS1000 on the summer solstice this year.

I still own my 2009 FLHX and it is air and oil-cooled. I messed around with the engine, and it started at 96". The 96" was cammed and TTS tuned. Then I installed a 120R. It blew thrice. It ended its life as a 124R. I bought an S&S 124 LC. It blew at 7500 km. S&S warrantied it, but I sold it new in the box. I've reinstalled the 96" and my wife did the above-mentioned ride [tour..?] with it and an additional sidecar. that 96" can do 75 mph with the sidecar [and little dog] but DRINKS the fuel. My point is, mechanically had I left the damn thing alone - it'd be fine...

I think Harley-Davidson is the right motorcycle for the right person as @BigLew55 and @cacomly mentioned. If going M8 powerplant, I'd think the twin cooled. I might also consider some fans. I have the jugs version, which has been good to me, except for a mount departure in Wyoming.

I've not ridden an FJR, BMW, or GW. My first motorcycle was a Kawasaki VN900. It had plastic engine components and fenders. It was underpowered as a 900, and I rode it a month. I sold it -three- years later and had to pay $2800 to be rid of it. I'm not a fan of that.
Yeah - Harley-Davidson has a motor clothes division. I get that. But it also has a dealer network that you can't swing a dead cat and not hit a Harley-Davidson dealership.

You do what you think, but I know Harley-Davidson is my brand of choice. Also, I have too many t-shirts to change now. [ha ha].

Harry

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
First of all - I have not ridden a rally. I wanted to try out the NW Rally - Thanks Covid.
Prior to the border lockdown - I rode my 2017 FLHXSE on the I-5 Gold, and a Looooooong tour from Vancouver, BC, to Carlsbad, Vegas, NOLA, Daytona, Philidelphia. After a car rental to Boston, flew home, returned to the motorcycle stored for 40 days, Rode to Williamburg, Nashville, Cleveland, Ottawa [ONT], Milwaukee, Golden, Back to LVNV, and home to Vancouver.

I think the twin cooled works pretty well. The FLHXSE had Fullsac headers and the modded baffles with 2.0", a K&N filter, and TTS Tuner. Stock cam. With HD Dunlop Tires I usually get 20,000 km rear and 40,000 front.

No issues with heating - [cat converter aside]. But the twin cooling requires lowers. That puts you in the Limiteds. So now you need a fairing.

I've rented a Road Glide, but don't care for the side wind problems. In a headwind it's awesome. Lane splitting is a little interesting.

I've since traded in that 2017 as I never bought the tourpak, and it was 70,000 km [still lots left] and my wife said to try the FLHTKSE. I got a tourpak with electric locks, +1" suspension [which sucks for my short legs], and a reset odometer. It's done one SS1000 on the summer solstice this year.

I still own my 2009 FLHX and it is air and oil-cooled. I messed around with the engine, and it started at 96". The 96" was cammed and TTS tuned. Then I installed a 120R. It blew thrice. It ended its life as a 124R. I bought an S&S 124 LC. It blew at 7500 km. S&S warrantied it, but I sold it new in the box. I've reinstalled the 96" and my wife did the above-mentioned ride [tour..?] with it and an additional sidecar. that 96" can do 75 mph with the sidecar [and little dog] but DRINKS the fuel. My point is, mechanically had I left the damn thing alone - it'd be fine...

I think Harley-Davidson is the right motorcycle for the right person as @BigLew55 and @cacomly mentioned. If going M8 powerplant, I'd think the twin cooled. I might also consider some fans. I have the jugs version, which has been good to me, except for a mount departure in Wyoming.

I've not ridden an FJR, BMW, or GW. My first motorcycle was a Kawasaki VN900. It had plastic engine components and fenders. It was underpowered as a 900, and I rode it a month. I sold it -three- years later and had to pay $2800 to be rid of it. I'm not a fan of that.
Yeah - Harley-Davidson has a motor clothes division. I get that. But it also has a dealer network that you can't swing a dead cat and not hit a Harley-Davidson dealership.

You do what you think, but I know Harley-Davidson is my brand of choice. Also, I have too many t-shirts to change now. [ha ha].

Harry
Probably not my choice but I see nothing wrong with it

Tep_52

Premier Member
I have both the HD and the GW. For me the HD was miles ahead as far as comfort goes but I started to find that it was not as reliable as I felt I needed for rally work. For reference it is a 14 ultra. So I bought a 19 GW. Omg. Did Satan design the seat.after money well-spent with Russell I can now do extended rides. And can I say farkles were interesting

Thanks for the information. It is a help.
-DL

I just traded in my '21 GW Tour DCT for a '22 Road King. I just could not get comfortable in the Wing after trying two different seats (Wingsoft and RDL), riser, and various other little things. The RK was comfortable right out the gate. I was perfectly comfortable on the 300 miles ride to bring it home whereas I was in pain most of they way on the Wing. Too bad though, that Wing was otherwise a great ride.

Lisa

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I finished the 2001 IBR on a 2000 Road Glide. I trucked it home from Huntsville, put it up for sale and never rode it again. The vibration aggravated my already bad back and the noise was crazy, plus riding an air-cooled fully faired bike thru 117 degree desert about killed me. In contrast, two years later we rode 48++ in just over 7 days and I felt fresh as a daisy arriving in Hyder on my wing.