Have Garmin got their act together yet?

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
I have mine on a ProjektD mount between the bars. The mount is basically a flat bit of stainless folded to the correct angle. It wasn't so bad with the 550 on it, but the weight of the 590 is making it bounce around. I'm getting a bit concerned that this might cause some damage. Anyone know of a better mount for the GTR? Handlebar mount won't work for me because reasons.
There are two other possibilities, a brake/clutch mount
RAM Part Number:
RAM-B-309-1U
, and a mount that attaches via your normal handle bar bracket.
RAM Part Number:
RAM-B-346U

Daisy

Premier Member
Yeah, I've got a box full of Ram mounts and they just don't do it for me. I like things mounted flat or on a fixed plate/bracket. When I had the old 550 Ram mounted it would never go exactly where I wanted it, and moving it around on the end of its stick only put it in all the other places I didn't want it. I ended up making up an aluminium plate that bolts to the clutch perch, but now I want to put something else there.
I'm happy with the location between the bars, I just needed to stop it going out of focus when I ride over corrugations. :eek:

Tele

Premier Member
Hey Daisy,
For a cost-effective option, buy a K16 along with the overpriced BMW Motorrad GPS (made by Garmin) that fits snugly into the custom made power and communication cradle that sits within the dashboard :D:D. 5 years and 80k and the damn thing hasn't moved ;) Problem solved !!!

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Daisy, at times on the FJR I have used a shelf/farkle bar between the handlebars. Heavy duty 'click' type velcro on the brake and clutch master cylinders plus a couple of zippy ties. It is firm enough not to vibrate any more than the bars, but should snap the zippy ties and velcro if I decide to go flying though the windsceen at high speed for some reason.

The pic below shows my GPSs on RAM mounts, but you could do aluminium plate trick instead. The bar is 50mm x3 mm aluminium angle and I put the car door edging stuff on for safety.

tj189

Premier Member
Peter, thanks for the photo, just picked up the push button switch Velcro'd to the left handlebar..... gave me an idea for something else :D