Hay Plain - 15-November 2022

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Its a stretch of road/area around the town of Hay in NSW. Flattest land in Southern Hemisphere with only 17mtrs of rise across its vast expanse. Pretty much got to cross it to perform a coast to coast in an East-West direction and is currently under flood.
I see that now. I looked at Dicky Knee's location and it said "Perth WA", so my mind defaulted to Washington state (U.S.) rather than Western Australia. I should have looked at the forum path and seen "IBA Australia".

I learned something new today. Sorry for the confusion.

Dicky Knee

I see that now. I looked at Dicky Knee's location and it said "Perth WA", so my mind defaulted to Washington state (U.S.) rather than Western Australia. I should have looked at the forum path and seen "IBA Australia".

I learned something new today. Sorry for the confusion.
All good... I have amended that location 'tag' in my profile to show that it's not Washington State (how the hell do you get WA from Washington State? - just kidding :D )

Washing (State) changed it's abbreviation to WA in 1963. I believe it was done so by USPS.
Anyway, all good....pleased that our riding friends from across the oceans can see what we Aussies are dealing with at the moment.
Noted this morning that 'officials' are referring to the flooded areas as a giant kitchen sponge. The land simply cannot absorb anymore water, and that means the water is going to be on the move for a long time to come.

Bloody hell...I hope it means the bushfire season will be negated. :(

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Massive water in NSW in many places. We stayed overnight in Gundagai Monday, thinking it would be wise and plan a route to Mildura Tuesday morning, using the NSW "Live Traffic" App. Everything was fine until we tried to use the Murrumbidgee River Rd from Darlington Point to Hay. Nope, closed, so we headed south to use the Sturt to Hay, nope closed. We detoured to Jerilderie, then to Conago, Moulamien, Balranald to home. Roads, unused to heavy traffic, have been heavily impacted. Potholes, no craters litter the tarmac.

After a 6.30 start, arrived around 4.15pm.

The Gillies Hwy and the Rex Range are the best, now ridden.

Rusjel

Premier Member
There are a few roads in Oz where you can experience flat wide empty plains, the Hay is one of them, but the contrasts can be stunning. You are seeing water over the roads now, but ten years ago Glen and I were heading out to a Farride in Euston. As we were riding along I could make out some funny blotches on the road surface and what was that horrible smell? There was a mouse plague and there were literally hundreds of the flattened critters all the way from Hay to Euston.

It is an amazing country.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Couple of observations from a couple of years ago.
Probably old news to many.
The gates at Hells Gate and the signage has changed.

The 1960m era channel excavator ( a feature on the south side of the Hwy) has also moved for the first time in at least 24 years, destination unknown.