HD 114 Fuel Mileage

Greetings. I am planning on attempting my first IronButt (saddlesore1000). I have read that consistency is important and has me curious about MPG vs MPH on the the HD. I have 22 Road King Police with the 114 motor. Based on MPG I've found on fuely of ~40mpg and 6 gallon tank = 240 miles of range. Thus I planned my fuel stops every 200 miles. Is there data showing MPG vs MPH for HDs? Does this seem correct? Forgive the newb.

igneouss

Premier Member
You seem to be getting it right. Just keep in mind that 200 miles is likely based on best-case conditions.
Speed has a huge impact on MPG. As does wind.
Stay flexible and you will be fine.
All that said, remember that 1000 in 24 has a decent margin of error at highway speeds. If you use decent highways and limit stopped time you should finish well less than 24 hours. So don't sweat it if you actually need gas every 150, or need to take a lunch break for 30 minutes.

240 was my average range commuting on My 103ci. Highway MPG conditions on my rides made me feel more comfortable at 180 miles for fuel stops. Planned on 200ish mapping my routes but didn’t end up using those planned stops. Just a matter of my comfort factor. Last trip that wasn’t a IBA ride I pushed range to 210 but I wouldn’t push it that far on a IBA attempt.

I have a 114 with Stage 1 - full exhaust system, breather and tune and have been recording fuel usage since I purchased it in Dec 2022. At 8000kms now it is averaging 6.6L per 100km when pushed on a IBA paced ride. This equates to 200 mile range, keep your planning based on 180-200 mile stops.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
While other users data is helpful in a general way, it's really beneficial if you simply go find out what your actual range is on your bike, with your riding style. Take a small jug of fuel and go ride to empty at highway speeds, (or the speeds you expect to ride at for your IBA ride). Then you will know w/o any doubts how far you can push it. Give yourself that safety margin, but if the unexpected occurs, you will have a better idea of what you can get away with an if you should slow down to make it to the next fuel opportunity.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Agreed. I've never understood why people don't just go and find out what their mileage is. It doesn't really matter a whit how another person's mileage works out, especially when you're on the side of the road, raging against the gods with an empty fuel tank, and yelling to the skies "But so-and-so said they got 45 mpg!" ;)

c10

Mentioned above learn your own bikes mpg in multiple conditions . Example
2018 Tiger 1200XCX with tail wind good weather 75 mph 48 mpg
Change to head wind 43 to 45 mpg
Add rain to mix 41 to 42 mpg
Loaded down / screen up 39 mpg
Extra cold air temps 36 mpg
Start riding like I stole it 33 mpg

Running comfort air pressure ( lower psi ) takes a mpg or 2

Something to consider if you want a few extra MPG run a different pully on your belt drive . Add a tooth up front or remove a few from the rear with a new unit . This will lower RPMS by a few hundred , and nets on avg 2 to 4 mpg ( bike dependent )

I have a 114 with Stage 1 - full exhaust system, breather and tune and have been recording fuel usage since I purchased it in Dec 2022. At 8000kms now it is averaging 6.6L per 100km when pushed on a IBA paced ride. This equates to 200 mile range, keep your planning based on 180-200 mile stops.
Thank you

Russ Black

Premier Member
I maintain a maintenance spreadsheet where I have recorded every gallon of fuel I have put into the fuel tanks, the odo reading when I put the fuel in and where I put it in. From there I can figure how far I can go on a tank and most importanly, how far I can go once the fuel light illuminates. Good luck

I constantly check the fuel mileage on my '06 FLHTP, which is powered by a mild 95" (cams, compression, stage I AC, rebaffeled CVO mufflers, tune) TC and has a 5 gallon tank.

Running around town I get 36, on the open road 40-ish.

I figure fuel stops on the low side of that MPG, which gives me a fuel range of almost 150 miles.

I plot my fuel stops using that range, shorter if necessary.

I use one of the trip meters to log miles as the fuel gauge is less than accurate.

That way I don't have to worry about running out of fuel, rarely do I put more than 4 gallons in it at a stop, and at 150 I'm ready for a stretch anyway.

mike77

Premier Member
i have a victory cross country ,and my fuel mileage can vary from 28 mpg to 45 mpg depending on wind and speed ,so i plan fuel stops around 180 miles . If i have to short stop so be it . Tons of time on a saddle sore , BBG's are much more challenging !!

FLHXHS

Premier Member
Prior to any certified ride attempt, I've pretty much planned stop to stop with bump room, and also looked at fuel in +/- 20 miles from my pre-planned fuel stop. I use google maps for route planning and checking fuel and timings. I plan on 10 minutes additional time for each fuel stop. I build a google sheet that tabulates rides, and has links and any specifics of a ride if it needs anything specific. I also log my fuel consumption so I have a pretty good idea of fuel usage based on average conditions.

I also consider if I'm going to eat anything or just drink water and the occasional RedBull. The IBA Archive of wisdom says to back off caffeine prior to an attempt, but then how would I get through my work day..?

I would also state, plan your ride, and ride your plan. I recently wasted a Labor day ride last September as I was 20 miles short. My plan had plenty of overage, but after we came across the big US Flag in Bonners Ferry, we scrapped the big flag in Olympia. Buddy didn't want to ride in Seattle to Tacoma traffic in the rain, After many calculations, I't looked like we had it based on ODOMETER numbers. We didn't, and we figured it out on beer three. My odometer is 5% high.

Spotwalla -have Spotwalla dialed in, and familiar to you and your loved ones worried about you riding all over the countryside. Share the link and check it at each fuel stop. Upload your photographs of your fuel receipts with your odometer on the picture.

Have your seat, your highway pegs, your handlebars, your phone mount, everything 100% squared away. Don't do an oil change or tire replacement the day before, maybe a week before and go for a bit of a ride.

Anyhow - have fun mostly. I mean all the preprep and such is buildop to YOUR big event, so enjoy doing it. All my BS ramblings are my way of doin the IBA rides, and I have a long Canadian winter to get through, and a shorter riding season - so I need to try to be efficient...

Have a good one.
H

Last edited:

Rollin'

Premier Member
I did an SS1000 with Softail Fat Bob 114 Stage II with a 3.5-gallon fuel tank. There were a lot of fuel stops. :)
My route was a square. The start of the ride north was cold and crazy windy, and the ride south was warmer with a strong tail wind. Huge difference in fuel mileage.
I used the bikes "miles to empty" and the GPS to try to extend my fuel stops and carried an extra gallon of fuel for just in case. Didn't need the extra gas but it was close a few times.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
A worthy piece of advice given to me on a stretch of a route that is close to the fuel capacity limits of a stock motorcycle "When in doubt, slow down a bit." The 'slow down a bit' should happen as part of the first gallon of fuel burned, not the last gallon.

Thus, making a 200 mile range on 5.5 gallons is quite doable if you're staying at PSL+5 from mile one, not mile 150.

Good luck!

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A worthy piece of advice given to me on a stretch of a route that is close to the fuel capacity limits of a stock motorcycle "When in doubt, slow down a bit." The 'slow down a bit' should happen as part of the first gallon of fuel burned, not the last gallon.

Thus, making a 200 mile range on 5.5 gallons is quite doable if you're staying at PSL+5 from mile one, not mile 150.

Good luck!
And is still quite a bit faster than an out of fuel situation.

Last edited:
Too many variables to learn anything useful from someone else's fuel economy. I carefully track mine and have gotten from 36 mpg to as high as 48 mpg (backroads with a very strong tailwind as I was riding east). My average as of today over about 7.5k miles is 40.1 mpg. I'm planning my route using 170 miles as my target for planned stops. If I'm in a populated area, I'd get to that point and assess whether I can go farther. I figure I can do that and easily make the 1k route in about 16 hours at an average speed of 70mph (I'd run 80 mph as much as I could).

Russ Black

Premier Member
I figure I can do that and easily make the 1k route in about 16 hours at an average speed of 70mph (I'd run 80 mph as much as I could).
Good plan. People don't fail based on adding one or two more fuel stops, they fail on lallygagging at them.

I have over 2 years of data for every tank of fuel on my 2002 Goldwing. It ranges from 30 to 47 MPG depending if I'm riding in a Rally, a certified IBA ride (SS, BB, etc), Highway (Not at IBA pace), or everyday riding with the overall average as 42.8 MPG. On IBA rides I plan between 175 and 200 miles between fuel stops without the aux tank and 325 and 350 with it. The IBA frowns on exceeding 350 miles between stops.