Heaven to hell

I’m kinda mesmerized with this trip and very intriguing yet and making me think twice or thrice. Here’s my dilemma, I live close by and thinking about trailing my bike up 14,110 ft pikes peak as my starting point and from up there I’ll ride my bike down to Death Valley. Pls tell me if it’s acceptable. Thanks.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I’m kinda mesmerized with this trip and very intriguing yet and making me think twice or thrice. Here’s my dilemma, I live close by and thinking about trailing my bike up 14,110 ft pikes peak as my starting point and from up there I’ll ride my bike down to Death Valley. Pls tell me if it’s acceptable. Thanks.
Why? No one really cares how your bike got to where ever you start a cert ride, so do what you want. That said, have you ridden up Pikes Peak? It's a 20 minute ride if you could just get all the tourists out of the way. LOL. The time up is off the clock, so enjoy the ride, get your start receipt at the gift store and head out.

Why? No one really cares how your bike got to where ever you start a cert ride, so do what you want. That said, have you ridden up Pikes Peak? It's a 20 minute ride if you could just get all the tourists out of the way. LOL. The time up is off the clock, so enjoy the ride, get your start receipt at the gift store and head out.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The last time I rode was 1985 on a dirt bike. This time I’m riding my bagger. It will be interesting. Thanks for the advice.
It's paved all the way now. Go ride it before you do the cert ride and you'll see how much easier it is now compared to 1985. No competent rider should have any concerns about riding to the top of Pikes Peak now.

edit - When you get to Badwater, take the time to walk out to the wood sign and take you're own picture there.

Badwater Basin Sign

Last edited:

Paul Meyer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
In July of 2020 a couple friends and I did a Heaven to Hell to Heavan ride. Pikes Peak to Badwater and back to Pikes Peak. It was an amazing ride. Temp was low 50s top of Pikes Peak and over 110 at Badwater when we got there that night. We were sitting at the gate waiting for it to open and the few cars in front of us let us by so clear road all the way to the top to get our start receipt. The road up was great pavement all the way to the top. they were working on the new visitor center up top. Parking lot was solid packed gravel with no problem getting around. I would say just ride to the top it is fun. Like Eric pointed out the clock doesn't start till you get receipt so enjoy ride up. Take it easy going back down no need to rush there is plenty of time to do the ride if you just keep moving. Have fun it is a cool doable ride.

Ed.

Premier Member
I never really had an urge to do (the Australian version of) this ride, until I did it. It is a cracker and now I would quite like to add the US version to it one day. Down on this side of the Big Blue Ball, the distance between the High and the Low is roughly 1850km (~1150mile)and only about 1850m (~6070ft) of elevation gain - 1:1000 sound better in metric and gives a bit of perspective of just how flat this continent is! In some ways it is sad when you lost the couple of dirt sections on Pikes Peak (although at least one aussie seemed pretty happy with that!). There is still around 90km of dirt on the Hell end of our run and I'd be surprised if that was sealed in the next ten years. This makes the rides done on road bikes (like FattyMick and Lynne on an RT beemer) all the more laudable. Whatever way it is done, it certainly adds a different element to the ":usual" IBA ride.

FLHXHS

Premier Member
We are planning on nesting a H2H ride this spring. I think Independence Pass opens Memorial Day Long weekend, as if there is a GOLD option, I like to shoot for it. :)

I'll reread the rules, but I thought you need to include the ride UP also. We're going to do Mt. Evans.
"Your official time is determined by the starting and ending receipts. PLEASE check these documents and make sure the clock and date is correct!" I read that as Idaho Falls DBR BEFORE you head up... @Ira confirmed it for me already...

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 1.59.30 PM.png

Any reason to do Mt Evans over Pikes Peak or vice/versa..?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My only input, having been to the top of both, is that there is nothing except a vault toilet at the top of Mt Evans, which also means no gates or fees, whereas the top of Pikes Peak has a gift shop & restaurant where you can get a DBR and is a more pleasant drive, imho, though has the potential for traffic, is gated and fees are required to go to the top. Both times I've been to the top of Mt Evans I have experienced headaches from the altitude. That has never happened to me going to the top of Pikes Peak, which I've done several times via motorcycle. IIRC, PP is a 2 hour up and back process, if you don't spend much time at the top.

Quoting Ira w/o context doesn't really provide info. ALL IBA rides start and finish with a DBR. That said, there is no DBR possible at the top of Mt Evans, so unless a Spot OK is acceptable as a start time, you're going to have to get a receipt at the bottom somewhere, then ride up to the top and ping the spot to show you were there, then head down.

The rules for the H2H only say:
This ride is from the top of Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak (the highest point in the continental United States) to Badwater, Death Valley, CA (the lowest point in the United States) via Independence Pass and Ely, NV.
Pikes Peak solves the DBR issue, but limits you to their hours of operation and as said, has the potential for traffic. I know that people have used Mt Evans in the past. You just need to factor that extra time in to your ride.

Last edited:

FLHXHS

Premier Member
Quoting Ira w/o context doesn't really provide info. ALL IBA rides start and finish with a DBR. That said, there is no DBR possible at the top of Mt Evans, so unless a Spot OK is acceptable as a start time, you're going to have to get a receipt at the bottom somewhere, then ride up to the top and ping the spot to show you were there, then head down.
Hi @EricV
I only quoted Ira as I asked this very question a while back. I wasn't sure if a Spot OK would work along with a photo, then get gas in Idaho Springs once down. He reiterated your comment regarding a DBR starts and ends an IBA ride - so gas before, then after with Mt. Evans, and potential receipt on top of Pikes Peak [I suppose as I've never been...]

Maybe I'll look at the feasibility of PP over Mt E.

Time to ponder I suppose.

FLHXHS

Premier Member
I'm guessing the doughnuts are better at altitude..?

regardless - If we go for it when we go - we're probably going Mt Evans...

Come on spring...