Hello from NE MN

Completed my first Iron Butt ride September 1st. Below is the ride report. (I have also posted this in Adventure Rider)

The steed minus the tank bag.

SS1K-Lake Superior Circle

1975 Honda CB550F Supersport

Wednesday saw last minute preparations done to the bike. 50 cal. boxes mounted as paniers, tubes, compressor, and tools placed in boxes, clean out the backpack, load 5 bottles of water, and wash the windshield.

No alarm set, I told my wife that I would get up when my body decided to wake up knowing that I usually wake up several times during the night. Rolled over saw the clock indicating 3:00 am, time to get up. Breakfast, cup of coffee, riding gear and last minute items saw me leaving the house after four. Start and stop gas station is about three miles away.

Official start time: 4:23:57 am 8/31/17, Lutsen. MN

I decided to use the clockwise route around the lake. This made sure gas stations would be open when needed. Border crossing went fairly smoothly, the only issue was that their camera could not see the license plate number. Between the Pigeon River and Thunderbay I encountered fog. Windscreen became opaque with moisture. My visor also wanted to fog up. The response was to crack open the visor. The extra fuel tank allowed me to make my first stop at Terrace Bay.

Terrace Bay to Wawa saw some road construction but nothing major. After Wawa there was a stoppage while fallen rock was removed from the roadway. At this point going up hills the bike would occasionally go clunk. It a while for me to realize it was the chain being loose. After crossing the border at the Soo, I made my first unscheduled stop at the Michigan Welcome Center. Tightened up the chain and things were running smoothly again. For eight miles I got ride high speed freeway I75 with speed limit of 75mph. The bike handled the speed without an issue.

While stopped for gas in Newberry, chatted with a fellow from St. Paul who was riding a GS1200. He had been out east and couldn’t imagine doing more than 300 miles in a day. Entering Munising had the closet deer encounter of the trip. A doe made a mad dash across the highway in front of the car ahead of me. The second doe also made it but the fawn got run over by the car and I had to brake and swerve to ovoid the remains. The car never stopped to check for damage.

Marquette to Bruce Crossing saw me dodging the setting sun. The helmet’s drop down sunscreen helped. Highway 2 west of Ashland had a stretch with no painted centerline. In the dark that was a challenge. By time I got to Duluth I knew I was doing well time wise. Filled up and decided to get a cappuccino in Two Harbors, and stretch again at Tettegouche.

Just as I was pulling into the rest area I saw a notice that Highway 61 was closed. (After getting home I found out a truck’s load had struck an old railroad overpass and MDOT was removing the remains of the bridge.) I had to do a 27 mile detour through Finland and using the Cramer Road. The Cramer is only paved ¼ of the distance. Needless to say I did a lot of fish tailing and eventually catching up with a tanker about a half mile from rejoining 61.

Made it to my starting point at 1:29:18 am on 9/1/17. Total time, 21:09.

Physically my body did well during the first four hours. I took a couple of ibuprofen before leaving the house and more during the trip. Using the highway pegs and pushing my legs straight, I could flex my knees much like you do walking. This helped a lot. The LD underwear did its job and my butt is not sore. I wish I could say the same for my neck and legs. My stretching and walking enabled me to complete the trip. I did not feel tired and the need to sleep. Part of this may have been the pain. I drank water at the gas stops. For food, I ate a protein bar at each gas stop and a couple of butterscotch candies later in the ride.

I enjoyed the challenge of completing the ride.

-Mark

Jerry Stevens

Premier Member
IBA Member
Mark,
Congratulations and welcome to the club. I just finished my Lake Superior ride on Saturday. I found Ontario to be absolutely gorgeous with the fall colors. I actually rode counterclockwise from Sault Ste Marie. It is fun that you did your ride on a CD550F. I actually had one very similar way back in the day.....
Jerry

Thanks all.

Scott, I have a set of 20mm cases as well. The plans to use them got put on hold after I purchased a GL1200A.

The paper work was e-mailed over a month ago. Hopefully I will receive the please pay notice soon.

-Mark

pdbuzz

Premier Member
Well done! I did my first ride recently, but it was on a Road King, which is the closest thing you can get to a 'recliner on wheels', and there's no way I could take it anywhere that's not paved! Much respect to you for doing it on your rig, on those roads!!

Well done! I did my first ride recently, but it was on a Road King, which is the closest thing you can get to a 'recliner on wheels', and there's no way I could take it anywhere that's not paved! Much respect to you for doing it on your rig, on those roads!!
Going around Lake Superior, all the highways are paved unless under construction. The highways do have several twisties on the north side of the lake. You do need your passport and not having a gross misdemeanor or worse.

-Mark

Thanks,

IBA requested payment so I am hopeful that I will get my membership number soon. The Iron Butt Mile Eaters page is currently through 8/1/17. We are getting close!

-Mark.

chfnelson

Premier Member
Completed my first Iron Butt ride September 1st. Below is the ride report. (I have also posted this in Adventure Rider)

The steed minus the tank bag.

SS1K-Lake Superior Circle

1975 Honda CB550F Supersport

Wednesday saw last minute preparations done to the bike. 50 cal. boxes mounted as paniers, tubes, compressor, and tools placed in boxes, clean out the backpack, load 5 bottles of water, and wash the windshield.

No alarm set, I told my wife that I would get up when my body decided to wake up knowing that I usually wake up several times during the night. Rolled over saw the clock indicating 3:00 am, time to get up. Breakfast, cup of coffee, riding gear and last minute items saw me leaving the house after four. Start and stop gas station is about three miles away.

Official start time: 4:23:57 am 8/31/17, Lutsen. MN

I decided to use the clockwise route around the lake. This made sure gas stations would be open when needed. Border crossing went fairly smoothly, the only issue was that their camera could not see the license plate number. Between the Pigeon River and Thunderbay I encountered fog. Windscreen became opaque with moisture. My visor also wanted to fog up. The response was to crack open the visor. The extra fuel tank allowed me to make my first stop at Terrace Bay.

Terrace Bay to Wawa saw some road construction but nothing major. After Wawa there was a stoppage while fallen rock was removed from the roadway. At this point going up hills the bike would occasionally go clunk. It a while for me to realize it was the chain being loose. After crossing the border at the Soo, I made my first unscheduled stop at the Michigan Welcome Center. Tightened up the chain and things were running smoothly again. For eight miles I got ride high speed freeway I75 with speed limit of 75mph. The bike handled the speed without an issue.

While stopped for gas in Newberry, chatted with a fellow from St. Paul who was riding a GS1200. He had been out east and couldn’t imagine doing more than 300 miles in a day. Entering Munising had the closet deer encounter of the trip. A doe made a mad dash across the highway in front of the car ahead of me. The second doe also made it but the fawn got run over by the car and I had to brake and swerve to ovoid the remains. The car never stopped to check for damage.

Marquette to Bruce Crossing saw me dodging the setting sun. The helmet’s drop down sunscreen helped. Highway 2 west of Ashland had a stretch with no painted centerline. In the dark that was a challenge. By time I got to Duluth I knew I was doing well time wise. Filled up and decided to get a cappuccino in Two Harbors, and stretch again at Tettegouche.

Just as I was pulling into the rest area I saw a notice that Highway 61 was closed. (After getting home I found out a truck’s load had struck an old railroad overpass and MDOT was removing the remains of the bridge.) I had to do a 27 mile detour through Finland and using the Cramer Road. The Cramer is only paved ¼ of the distance. Needless to say I did a lot of fish tailing and eventually catching up with a tanker about a half mile from rejoining 61.

Made it to my starting point at 1:29:18 am on 9/1/17. Total time, 21:09.

Physically my body did well during the first four hours. I took a couple of ibuprofen before leaving the house and more during the trip. Using the highway pegs and pushing my legs straight, I could flex my knees much like you do walking. This helped a lot. The LD underwear did its job and my butt is not sore. I wish I could say the same for my neck and legs. My stretching and walking enabled me to complete the trip. I did not feel tired and the need to sleep. Part of this may have been the pain. I drank water at the gas stops. For food, I ate a protein bar at each gas stop and a couple of butterscotch candies later in the ride.

I enjoyed the challenge of completing the ride.

-Mark

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The CB750F is long gone to the boneyard in the sky. Have to ask Mike about any CB550's, There has to have been at least one.
I don't think so. None on the finishers list. And as I mentioned in another thread, it was only produced for four or five years prior to the establishment of the Iron Butt Association.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association