Hello from New Zealand

Alan Doak

Premier Member
Hello all IBA members - Alan (Skinny) Doak here - #62701.

We're heading into summer down this end of the world so the motorcycles are getting a dust off, a spruce up, and the roads are starting to be travelled.

I just completed a ride called the North Island 1600 (we're simple folk here - our islands are called North, and South). The NI1600 is equivalent to the Saddlesore 1000 - essentially 1,000 miles or 1,600 kilometres in 24 hours. It's organised by Distance Riders NZ (www.distanceriders.org.nz). Riders are able to gain IBA certification by doing this ride, which is what I did last year.

As any of you who know what riding in New Zealand is like you'll understand the challenges in covering long miles within a time frame, especially on the more populated North Island. Having said that there are some who can do a NI1600 in around 17 hours. Personally I don't know how that's achievable given our speed limit on the open road is 100kph (60mph). For me I'm happy to do a ride between 21 and 22 hours.

If any of you are keen to read ride reports I have a couple on my website. The NI 1600 is covered here: http://www.thinman.co.nz/north-island-1600-2016-ride-report/ with a video here:

I completed a successful BunBurner 1500 earlier this year. That ride report is here: http://www.thinman.co.nz/bunburner-1500/

I have a Super Thou (1000km in 14 hours) coming up next weekend, and then in February 2017 the TT2000 - a minimum of 2000km in 48 hours (with next year a min 80,000 points required) but those of us who love long distance motorcycling try to extend that as far as we can. Here's my report from the 2016 TT2000: http://www.thinman.co.nz/tt2000-ride-report/

I managed to secure a spot on the Iron Butt Rally for next year but had to withdraw due to sudden lack of finances. Hopefully I'll be better off in 2019 and lucky enough to be picked again. It'd be great to meet some other Iron Butt members.

Enjoy my stories! And if you are ever in New Zealand get in touch.

Cheers
Alan

tj189

Premier Member
Welcome along Alan, thanks for sharing your ride reports. As we are pretty close neighbours, you may like to pop in and have a look at the IBA Australia forum, if you have not already ;) Cheers

Alan Doak

Premier Member
Thanks for the welcome TJ. I'd like to do some riding in Australia one day - a lot closer than the USA and easier for me to get to. Many many years ago I had a dream to cross the Nullabor (sp?) - that was way before I caught the long distance motorcycling bug!

Cheers
Alan

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Alan,

Thanks for posting and sharing your rides/photos. As a New Zealander now resident on this side of the Tasman I am very familiar with the challenges you must face as a LD rider in NZ.
When you do make it across here you will love the wide open spaces, Australia has an abundance of that! The trip across the Nullarbor is well worth it.

Cheers

Last edited:

Alan Doak

Premier Member
Thanks Martin - I think a ride across Australia is a little more achievable than a ride across America. When I do it I'll be sure to jump on here and ask for advice.
Cheers
Alan