Hello Newbie

maxrider

Premier Member
So I'm going down my bucket list, and for sure IBA was one of them, now having the first one out of the way and hungry for more, I was looking for other potential riders who are located within So Cal and are like-minded.

Maybe this is not the correct forum to post this, so feel free to correct and guide me.

But if it is, and you are in So Cal, then please contact me, and potentially set up something in the future.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Welcome to the forum maxrider. Congrats on your first IBA ride.

Finding a riding partner or partners for LD riding can be a challenge. For successful group rides, you need everyone to be on the same page, need stops at similar times, have similar ranges and other needs. Not everyone meshes together well.

An example; One of my LD riding partners had transitions lens on his prescription glasses. I didn't. He didn't need to stop after sunrise to change glasses like I did. That led to some unpleasant miles until the next gas stop for me. I eventually got some transitions lens for my prescription glasses to eliminate this issue.

Fuel range is another big one. When I had a 500 mile range, if we were not riding for a cert, I didn't stop until I needed gas. That creates issues for riders with less range. And an annoyance for the rider with longer range, having to stop when the short range rider needs fuel, if you have previously agreed to stop at the same times.

Most cert riders ride solo aside from unique events. Rally riders typically are single, two or rarely three, but extremely rarely more. It's an individual sport and best done in the way that we may meet in passing, or at destinations like an RTE or Rally, but riding in groups is not that conducive to LD riding.

I ride with my wife. We have comm, so can talk to each other about what ever, including the need for fuel or bio stops. This simplifies things a lot. The rare times I've ridden in small groups on a cert ride, we ended up quickly separating when fuel needs dictated different stopping points or a bio break was needed by someone and not the others. Sometimes we re-connected later, sometimes not.

maxrider

Premier Member
EricV thank you so much, it kinda solidifies my suspicion, and I'm very okay with it, and I'm grateful for your perspective and advice.
Been planning for the past several hours how to attack my next Bun burner, choices:), did my first SS starting out at 11 PM, now entertaining starting at early AM hrs, and finding roads where I find gas(limited range HondaF6B-150 miles avg).
But man I'm having a blast doing it, and hope to find a route for my planned BB starting Monday, May 10.

Again thanks for the welcome and good advice.

Max

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So glad you are enjoying the rides and planning. It can be addicting. :) Consider that your body has it's normal rhythms. What ever hours you normally work play a part in that too. I used to work graveyard shift, so getting up and hitting the road at 11pm was "normal" for me, but 2pm was my kryptonite time when I was at low ebb, the time I usually went to bed. Try to follow your normal rhythms and it will be easier to stay alert.

And remember, a Bun Burner allows you a sleep period in the middle too. And you can create your own rides based on fun things that mean something to you, and create a route the fits the IBA rides like SS1K or BB1500, SS2K or any of the other standard rides. Like Bloomington, CA to Bloomington, IA for a SS2K ride. Find things that are fun to you and enjoy planning a route, then riding that plan.

maxrider

Premier Member
It is addicting alright, been retired now for the past 11 yrs, and have worked Graveyard shifts and everything in between when employed.

But being retired puts everything upside down, in a good way.

Heck, I was so giddy for the first SS, that although I planned to leave at 1 AM, I was out the door at 11 PM :), and the same for my ride partner.

So after much deliberation, I'm going to do my first BB, then progress up to a BBG from that.
So on Monday the 10th of May(time TBD) the journey starts from Corona to Sacramento-Salt Lake City, and from there to Las Vegas.

Have some free comped nights in Vegas, so I will hang out there and go to Mt Charleston, Red Rock, and lounge at the pool and celebrate my BB.

Thanks for all your splendid advice, hope to meet you in the future.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you feel like playing tourist, Zion National Park is only a short ride North from Vegas. I used to live in St George, UT. Have a great ride!

CB650F

Premier Member
I don't live in Southern California, or anywhere near it. And my travels very rarely take me there so I can't really say much about riding there other than what I've heard from other people. What I can say is that Eric's advice so far has been pretty sound. Riding partners for IBA cert rides are hard to find. My current bike is only good for about 125 to maybe 150 miles between fuel stops without carrying a fuel can. Even then, I have to physically stop to transfer fuel. I've done BBG before, so the limited range isn't a deal breaker for me. If I were riding with someone that had a 350 mile range, it would likely be a deal breaker for them. I have to stop twice as often, maybe thrice as often. I'm getting pretty good at making quick stops, but it's still an unneeded stop for the other person. Very annoying for them! A riding partner needs to be someone on a very similar bike to yours, who you've ridden with before and know how they like to ride. Remember you can't share paperwork. You are basically both doing the ride solo, at the same time and in the same place.

And I've been to Zion National Park a few times. I can confirm that it's definitely worth a stop. Just remember to get a park shuttle pass early. https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/zion-canyon-shuttle-tickets.htm Tickets sell out quick!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There is a write up from a Swedish group just posted that is worth translating. They started with 7, ended with 4. One mechanical, one unknown, possibly fatigue, (rider decided to end early at a group stop), then one rider that just bailed w/o letting anyone know that cost them time at the next stop, trying to contact them, and deciding to go on or stop and make more attempts to find the missing rider.

One paraphrased comment from the poster was that the group had positive and negative aspects. They could offer each other encouragement, but stops took longer with multiple bathroom visits, snacks, etc before the group was ready to continue.

Having a conversation with the group before you depart goes a long way to everyone understanding what to do if they want to bail on the ride and avoids everyone else wondering if they crashed or otherwise had a problem. One cell to call and leave a message on if the rider has a problem, and otherwise the idea that if you're going to bail, you tell people at a stop, not just peel off and disappear.

maxrider

Premier Member
EricV, yes that, unfortunately, happens when not properly planned.

Having done multiple 200 miles day Bicycle rides(double century's), yes LD and on avg 16-18 hrs, depending on terrain, some with a combined 18000 ft of climbing in it, I know what a time drag it can be with the aspect of team riders and being under the time pressure to make it before the cutoff time or end up DNF.

Yeah most likely will complete most IBA rides solo, although my riding buddy is very compatible, he now is nursing an injury.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I used to do a lot of cycling, but it's been a while. Century runs, yep, a bunch. Never did a double though. The longest day ride I recall was Astoria, OR to Nesport, OR on the 101 hwy. About 150 miles, IIRC from where we were dropped off to where the car was left. We had a nice lunch, but finished in the dark after a flat tire and patch process by braille. Good fun! Commuted by pedal bike for a few years as well.

If you can find a partner, don't be shy about trying some rides. It can add to the fun for sure.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Monday start of the first Solo ride, look soooo forward to it,BB, and in the near future BBG or 2000SS, not sure yet which:).
Why not both? Ride 1500/24 for the BBG, rest 8 hours, ride the other 500 in the remaining 16 hours. Easy peasy. :D

maxrider

Premier Member
Ha, you got me thinking really hard on that one Stephen, and as much I appreciate your suggestion I think that logistically I'm not ready yet, my fuel is limited with the 5 gal tank, and not 100% sure how I do physically and with my time management.

But for sure this Solo trip will give me some greater insight into my capability, and your suggestion is on my bucket list:).

Thanks

Max

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Ha, you got me thinking really hard on that one Stephen, and as much I appreciate your suggestion I think that logistically I'm not ready yet, my fuel is limited with the 5 gal tank, and not 100% sure how I do physically and with my time management.

But for sure this Solo trip will give me some greater insight into my capability, and your suggestion is on my bucket list:).

Thanks

Max
Five gallons, while somewhat limiting, is not that big of a deal. My K11LT only had 4.5 gallons of usable fuel. The "filter" was attached to the bottom of the fuel pump and after replacing the pump one time I could never get that thing back into its little area without it collapsing and cavitating the pump. A a result, the last 12 years we rode it, we had only 4.5 gallons usable.

IF you do manage to knock out a BBG, just keep in mind you still have at least 24 hours to finish the SS2k. An SS2k is not two consecutive SS1k rides. It is 'simply' 2000 miles in 48 hours, regardless how it is broken up. There are a few guys around here that have done it in 24 hours... o_O

CB650F

Premier Member
According to the SS1000/BB1500 page, "mileages in excess of 1,800 miles in less than 24 hours will not be published." 2,000 miles in 24 hours is an average of 83.33 miles per hour if you never stopped. (That's faster than the speed limit on all but a 40 mile stretch of road in the US) The IBA requires a fuel receipt every 350 miles, which means you're going to have 5 fuel stops at least during the ride. An average of a short 12 minutes per fuel stop puts you making the 2,000 miles in 23 hours of riding, averaging 87 mph. (Faster than the speed limit on every US road) When you then factor in the time it takes to get off the interstate and back on, and the bathroom break you are going to have to make at some point, you'd be riding at 90 mph or more for a full 24 hours. There are very few interstates in the US where 90 mph or more won't get the attention of law enforcement. In most of the US, 90+ runs a real risk of having your bike impounded, especially if you've been riding all day and look fatigued/drunk. There are no roads where 90 mph for 24 hours can be considered safe riding. 90 mph for two hours can be safe, but not 24 hours.

I'm not a safety Nazi but that's excessive, reckless, and endangers the lives of everyone around you. It isn't something to aspire to. It is something to be ashamed of. If you knock out a BBG, stop for the night. Your mind and body need a rest. No amount of coffee or other stimulants will actually refresh you. Long distance riding requires a lot of focus and sharp reflexes. You can condition yourself to go a little more, but fatigue will catch up to you no matter who you are. Nobody is immune to the effects of fatigue.

I can tell you from experience, finishing up an SS2K after a BBG the first day is easy as pie. Get a good night's sleep and don't worry about the clock at that point. I had time for a full night's rest (8+ hours), and a stop back at home for a nice home cooked meal, and to plan out the last 500 mile leg, and to unpack the bike, and I ran into some bad traffic on that leg and still finished with hours to spare. If you can make the BBG, you've got the SS2K in the bag.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
According to the SS1000/BB1500 page, "mileages in excess of 1,800 miles in less than 24 hours will not be published." 2,000 miles in 24 hours is an average of 83.33 miles per hour if you never stopped. (That's faster than the speed limit on all but a 40 mile stretch of road in the US) The IBA requires a fuel receipt every 350 miles, which means you're going to have 5 fuel stops at least during the ride. An average of a short 12 minutes per fuel stop puts you making the 2,000 miles in 23 hours of riding, averaging 87 mph. (Faster than the speed limit on every US road) When you then factor in the time it takes to get off the interstate and back on, and the bathroom break you are going to have to make at some point, you'd be riding at 90 mph or more for a full 24 hours. There are very few interstates in the US where 90 mph or more won't get the attention of law enforcement. In most of the US, 90+ runs a real risk of having your bike impounded, especially if you've been riding all day and look fatigued/drunk. There are no roads where 90 mph for 24 hours can be considered safe riding. 90 mph for two hours can be safe, but not 24 hours.

I'm not a safety Nazi but that's excessive, reckless, and endangers the lives of everyone around you. It isn't something to aspire to. It is something to be ashamed of. If you knock out a BBG, stop for the night. Your mind and body need a rest. No amount of coffee or other stimulants will actually refresh you. Long distance riding requires a lot of focus and sharp reflexes. You can condition yourself to go a little more, but fatigue will catch up to you no matter who you are. Nobody is immune to the effects of fatigue.

I can tell you from experience, finishing up an SS2K after a BBG the first day is easy as pie. Get a good night's sleep and don't worry about the clock at that point. I had time for a full night's rest (8+ hours), and a stop back at home for a nice home cooked meal, and to plan out the last 500 mile leg, and to unpack the bike, and I ran into some bad traffic on that leg and still finished with hours to spare. If you can make the BBG, you've got the SS2K in the bag.
1. Nobody said anything about certificates or publishing or even involving the IBA in any way. Your reference to the rules is misplaced.
2. 12 minutes for a fuel stop is way too long. Time to streamline your process.
3. ZERO Interstate miles were involved in any of those rides.
4. Not everyone needs a bathroom break every few hours.
5. Riding is not "safe" regardless the speed.
6. There are roads out there where averaging 90mph over 24 hours is neither excessive nor reckless and there is nobody "around you" who's lives are in danger.

CB650F

Premier Member
Ah, a classic Stephen! post. Okay let's play again.

1. "It is 'simply' 2000 miles in 48 hours, regardless how it is broken up. There are a few guys around here that have done it in 24 hours." What's "a few guys around here" if not in the IBA? There's nothing else around here. You were obviously talking about guys in the IBA doing that. You also did it in a thread from a new IBA member talking about advice. You, Stephen!, said there were guys around here who have done it (an SS2K) in 24 hours. My reference to the rules was not misplaced. You said something stupid and I corrected you. Nobody here has any business doing 2,000 miles in 24 hours on a motorcycle. The IBA itself says doing so it dangerous and has gone so far as to codify it.

2. No, I don't think 12 minutes on average is too long. Go time yourself from when you leave the road until you are back on it. I'm not talking about time spent at 0 mph in front of the pump. A fuel stop takes longer than you think it does, especially if you've got the fuel capacity to actually make 350 miles in a leg. One non-printed receipt that requires you to go inside the store to get a copy can eat up tons of time as well. I picked 12 minutes because five 12 minute stops is an hour, and 12 minutes is probably pretty typical for total time a fuel stop costs you. Yes, there are ways to cut that down a bit, but even if you cut it in half, you still need speeds over 85 mph which means you're doing 88 instead of 90. That's still well into performance award territory.

3. Then you royally screwed up. You were doing 90 mph on 60 mph roads and should be ashamed of yourself for such abhorrent behavior and for promoting it on the IBA's forum.

4. That's right, you could go all day without using the bathroom, but you sacrifice your health to do it. If you haven't used the bathroom in the last 8 hours, you aren't drinking enough fluids and seriously need to rethink your situation. If you were lounging around at home, you'd pee a few times every day. If you are out riding and aren't peeing, you are dehydrated and making the ride more unsafe than it already is.

5. No, the way you ride certainly isn't. One stop every 350 miles for a very brief period of time while riding at 1.5 times the legal speed limit and not staying properly hydrated is certainly not safe! Stop advocating for it. Riding, however, can be done safely. You should look into how to keep yourself safe while riding.

6. Hold on there buddy. Your own point #5 is that riding is not safe at any speed. Doing something you know is not safe (riding) and adding to the danger of it by exceeding the legally established speed restrictions is most certainly reckless. You can't have it both ways. If riding can be safe, your #5 argument patently wrong. If riding can't be safe, #6 is patently wrong. Either way, you're contradicting yourself.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Ah, a classic Stephen! post. Okay let's play again.

1. "It is 'simply' 2000 miles in 48 hours, regardless how it is broken up. There are a few guys around here that have done it in 24 hours." What's "a few guys around here" if not in the IBA? There's nothing else around here. You were obviously talking about guys in the IBA doing that. You also did it in a thread from a new IBA member talking about advice. You, Stephen!, said there were guys around here who have done it (an SS2K) in 24 hours. My reference to the rules was not misplaced. You said something stupid and I corrected you. Nobody here has any business doing 2,000 miles in 24 hours on a motorcycle. The IBA itself says doing so it dangerous and has gone so far as to codify it.

2. No, I don't think 12 minutes on average is too long. Go time yourself from when you leave the road until you are back on it. I'm not talking about time spent at 0 mph in front of the pump. A fuel stop takes longer than you think it does, especially if you've got the fuel capacity to actually make 350 miles in a leg. One non-printed receipt that requires you to go inside the store to get a copy can eat up tons of time as well. I picked 12 minutes because five 12 minute stops is an hour, and 12 minutes is probably pretty typical for total time a fuel stop costs you. Yes, there are ways to cut that down a bit, but even if you cut it in half, you still need speeds over 85 mph which means you're doing 88 instead of 90. That's still well into performance award territory.

3. Then you royally screwed up. You were doing 90 mph on 60 mph roads and should be ashamed of yourself for such abhorrent behavior and for promoting it on the IBA's forum.

4. That's right, you could go all day without using the bathroom, but you sacrifice your health to do it. If you haven't used the bathroom in the last 8 hours, you aren't drinking enough fluids and seriously need to rethink your situation. If you were lounging around at home, you'd pee a few times every day. If you are out riding and aren't peeing, you are dehydrated and making the ride more unsafe than it already is.

5. No, the way you ride certainly isn't. One stop every 350 miles for a very brief period of time while riding at 1.5 times the legal speed limit and not staying properly hydrated is certainly not safe! Stop advocating for it. Riding, however, can be done safely. You should look into how to keep yourself safe while riding.

6. Hold on there buddy. Your own point #5 is that riding is not safe at any speed. Doing something you know is not safe (riding) and adding to the danger of it by exceeding the legally established speed restrictions is most certainly reckless. You can't have it both ways. If riding can be safe, your #5 argument patently wrong. If riding can't be safe, #6 is patently wrong. Either way, you're contradicting yourself.
Where did I say that I have done this? Get over yourself already. When will you learn that you have limitations that do not need to be cast upon everyone else?

CB650F

Premier Member
You are only fooling yourself. You wouldn't have pointed out that other people have done dangerous things that the IBA doesn't condone while talking about IBA rides to a new member if you hadn't participated.

And I'm not casting my limitations upon anyone else. I'm pointing out that riding dangerously is not something the IBA would condone and suggesting that everyone keep themselves safe while doing something you consider to be unsafe.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
You are only fooling yourself. You wouldn't have pointed out that other people have done dangerous things that the IBA doesn't condone while talking about IBA rides to a new member if you hadn't participated.

And I'm not casting my limitations upon anyone else. I'm pointing out that riding dangerously is not something the IBA would condone and suggesting that everyone keep themselves safe while doing something you consider to be unsafe.
Good thing you are here to save everyone from themselves. What would the IBA do without you? :rolleyes: