Helmet Bluetooth Question

TdLpps

Premier Member
I've resisted getting a Bluetooth helmet unit for a while because I see that battery life is probably not good enough to get through a longer ride without either a dead battery or some type of recharging enroute. What is everyone else doing?

Right now I use a coiled cord to helmet speakers for audio from my Ipod but if I pick up a bluetooth adapter I'll ditch the cord and put everything -- music, GPS, RD, phone -- through via bluetooth.

Any advice for 20+ hour rides or multi-day rides when time off the bike might not be sufficient to charge?

Thanks.

DrNeo

Premier Member
I absolutely have loved my Sena SMH10. It's been with me for the past 5 years, but I can tell you last year on my 48 in 10, I would consistently get 12 hours of talking time out of it. I would charge it overnight (5-6 hours) and it would be on 100% of the time while taking to my riding partner and connected to my phone for music and phone calls. Amazing battery life for being 5 years old (the new ones are good for even longer). The speakers are loud enough for me to hear everything with earplugs in at 80 mph while the person on the other side of the phone has no idea I'm on a bike.

The Sena can charge while still remaining on, while other headsets may or may not work when they are plugged in (huge limitation). The cord that came with mine is light enough that I don't even notice it's plugged in to my tank bag. I know other riders that buy two headsets and have one charge while the other is being worn.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My Sena SMH10 gets me through most of the day, say 14 hours or so. I have (or had since I cannot find it) a small portable recharging battery that I put in my top left pocket of my Klim jacket with a short USB cable to power/charge the Sena when the battery dies.

Glenn

Another thumbs up for the Sena SMH10. I've had mine for about 4 years now, battery lasts all riding day, very clear and easy to use.

TdLpps

Premier Member
I appreciate the responses. I hadn't thought about a portable charger to carry in a jacket pocket. That might be the answer.

I was kind of sold on the Uclear model but will look closer at the Sena 10 since it can be charged while in use. The Uclear can't.

Thanks.

TdLpps

Premier Member
Just to close this thread out, I ended up buying a SMH10 dual-pack so that I could swap between both units as necessary, allowing one to charge at all times. I also bought a third helmet clamp kit to loan to someone else with my second unit when I want to be able to intercom with them.

I don't know why I resisted this for so long. So far it's been great to have all audio coming through one source. The ability to receive calls from family members has made trips away from home much more bearable for them.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just to close this thread out, I ended up buying a SMH10 dual-pack so that I could swap between both units as necessary, allowing one to charge at all times. I also bought a third helmet clamp kit to loan to someone else with my second unit when I want to be able to intercom with them.

I don't know why I resisted this for so long. So far it's been great to have all audio coming through one source. The ability to receive calls from family members has made trips away from home much more bearable for them.
Rather than swap out, consider purchasing a small battery such as the portable ones used to recharge a cell phone. I simply plug the module into it with a short USB cable and place the battery in my left breast pocket on my Klim jacket. With my SMH10 battery lasting 8-10 hours I only have to do this during rallies and longer rides

TdLpps

Premier Member
Rather than swap out, consider purchasing a small battery such as the portable ones used to recharge a cell phone. I simply plug the module into it with a short USB cable and place the battery in my left breast pocket on my Klim jacket. With my SMH10 battery lasting 8-10 hours I only have to do this during rallies and longer rides
Thanks, Chris. I've got a TOH ride planned for the 20th and will be carrying both my spare and a USB battery. It's routed at 1380 miles so at some point I'll have to switch or recharge. I'm going to be prepared for both.

I tried the battery on a short ride last weekend and found the cable to be a little distracting as it flapped in the breeze. It might not be an issue on a longer ride. Does that bother you at all?

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I use the Sena 20s and you can charge it while you are using it. I use an Anker portable power pack that fits in my Aerostich vest pocket and every second gas stop ( 8 hours ) I plug it in. The Anker charger will charge the Sena 20s at least 8 times.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks, Chris. I've got a TOH ride planned for the 20th and will be carrying both my spare and a USB battery. It's routed at 1380 miles so at some point I'll have to switch or recharge. I'm going to be prepared for both.

I tried the battery on a short ride last weekend and found the cable to be a little distracting as it flapped in the breeze. It might not be an issue on a longer ride. Does that bother you at all?

That is the main reason why I keep the battery in the left breast pocket. I had a cable that was the perfect length but it is stored somewhere with my old battery. For now I stuff the excess cable in the pocket with the battery so only the amount that is needed is exposed to the wind and it does not flap that I notice.

I have also plugged in to a USB port on my bike and ran the cable up the inside of my jacket. That kept the flapping to a minimum. if it was significant I'd be concerned it would damage the connector on the Sena. The trouble with plugging into the bike is you need to remember to unplug when getting off the bike.

TdLpps

Premier Member
...if it was significant I'd be concerned it would damage the connector on the Sena.
That is another concern. I can't imagine the plug lasting long with too much movement.

If you and Greg are doing it successfully, it likely works fine. I'll try it again.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That is another concern. I can't imagine the plug lasting long with too much movement.

If you and Greg are doing it successfully, it likely works fine. I'll try it again.
The connector seems pretty solid and I notice little movement of the connector when plugged in. I only plug in when required, however I know of another rider who is plugged in constantly. Keep in mind while plugged in the connector is not waterproof so I would consider unplugging if there is heavy rain.

I have a Sena SMH5, and have been very happy with it. I'll second the statement about wiring up USB ports to your bike, and running wires through your coat. I installed a nice surface mount 2-port USB rig w/integrated volt display. I have a USB extension cord run through my coat, that I never remove. On longer day rides (10-12 hrs) I plug a thin, short cable from the neck region output directly into the Sena, and it works beautifully. I would not necessarily want to operate this way in rain.