Help and Advice

Bimbler

RBLR1000 Publicity
IBA Member
Is there a reason for the 5am start?
Maybe an earlier start next year, meaning less riders riders riding later in the evening when tired,and missing more traffic first thing, ( most riders should be clear of glasgow/edinburgh, before folk get up to go eat swedish meatballs,)maybe even just bring it forward an hour, still giving the people the option of choosing a departure time suitable.
The first run started at 5 (if I recall correctly), being sunrise. Also it was run on the longest day/shortest night.
For subsequent years the start was at any time of ones choosing between 5 and 8 am. So there was no need to rush out of bed and arrive early.
Just get up when ready and bimble down to Squire's, though some still chose to queue from long beforehand.
Personally I am in favour of a start "window" which allows people to move when ready and takes away any pressure to rush at the start of what will be a stressful day.

Ask the volunteers who man the start process what they are prepared to do.

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Is there a reason for the 5am start?
Maybe an earlier start next year, meaning less riders riders riding later in the evening when tired,and missing more traffic first thing, ( most riders should be clear of glasgow/edinburgh, before folk get up to go eat swedish meatballs,)maybe even just bring it forward an hour, still giving the people the option of choosing a departure time suitable.
Some of us are up at 4 to get things ready for you all to leave at 5 then be up all night to welcome you all back safely see you tomorrow

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
I understand the logistics behind it, and fully appreciate the hard work that goes on behind the scenes, (i spent 3 hours with steve guarding everyones bikes on the bbr 2015, a long long night ) and was really only sounding off, as a slightly earlier start, would mean the early starters /finishers, could still get a good nights sleep before leaving in the morning.