Help with Garmin BaseCamp (visualising bonus locations)

Hi all,

This thread is compiled specifically with Brit Butt rallies in mind, but I guess answers might help others generally.

I've changed / upgraded* my satnav unit recently from a Tom Tom Rider v5 using Tyre to a Garmin 590 using BaseCamp.

I've had a play with it and I can now import rally bonus locations into BaseCamp to visualise them on the map. However, when I zoom out of the map a bit to see where all the locations are, the little flags are hard to see against all the other clutter on the map (major route names, town names etc.). on my laptop screen. This is especially relevant for bonuses in / around major cities - there's just too much 'stuff' in the way.

Is there a way of simplifying the map to remove all the stuff I'm not interested in? I couldn't see anything in the options to do so. Really, all I'm interested in for route planning purposes is an outline of the UK with maybe the motorway network drawn on it for good measure. I guessed maybe I could change the underlying map for a different one, but I don't know if that's possible.

All ideas / suggestions gratefully received :)

TIA

*delete as applicable

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Look in the top lefthand corner for a listbox like the one shown here and choose the level of detail to include on the map. Untitled.png

Nice one, thanks! :) I'll have a look at that this evening when I get home. I'm not sure what version of BaseCamp I'm using, but I assume it's the most recent as I ran all the updates etc. when installing the software on my machine.

orestesdjc

Premier Member
You can also select those items you wish to display on the map.
From the menu bar
Edit - options
Select a activity profile ie Driving
Select the General Tab
Click on Select for Map Display Features
Click on the + sign alongside points and the deselect the items you no longer wish to see ie de-selecting transportation - air transportation will remove airports from the map.

I would suggest creating a activity profile for "Rallies" and set all you preferences for display and routing.

Ah-haaa! Ta very much Bob :)

View -> Toolbars -> Detail Level needed to be ticked to see the box you showed in your picture.

The tips on activity profiles are really useful too - I will be spending some time over the coming weeks getting the hang of this I think :)

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
One thing I've noticed on my 590 is that despite un-ticking many POI symbols I can't get rid of restaurants and when driving through a busy town or city these clutter up my screen. Is there something I'm missing or not doing? As mentioned above you can de-select things on Basecamp but I think there's a limit to what you can get rid of on the actual device :confused: