Historic US Route 50

igneouss

Premier Member
I was just informed that my US50 Coast to Coast was approved! Did the ride E to W in mid September 2020. A very fun ride.

I'll stick to the high (low) points...

Planning.
I put a fair amount of planning into this. Lots of time spent following the route on google maps so I was familiar with the routing, particularly in the big cities. This is very important in my opinion as the sign posting is not always when and where you need it. I also made my hotel reservations in advance.

Arrived Ocean City MD the day before. Went and took the obligatory picture of the famous sign. Note: there is an ally type road on the south side of the Rt50 abutment where you can park and see the sign. There is nowhere to park on Rt50 at that location.

Used the convenient gas station at the RT50 entry point for my starting DBR in the wee hours of the first morning. First problem ocured when I missed a left turn in D.C. in the predawn rain. Luckily I was able to back track easily. Hitting D.C. at around 5am on a Saturday saved a lot of stress.

Made it through Winchester, VA where RT50 does some gymnastics in town. My advantage here is that I live near here and was familiar with the in-town route..
Enjoyed a beautiful ride across WV and OH. Did manage to miss a turn near Athens but was able to back track and document the location. That wasted about 1/2 hour.

Got through Cinncinnati OK and stopped for the night just past that point.

No other meaningful issues until I hit St. Louis. East of the city RT50 joins the interstate. But a chunk of the interstate is closed for long term reconstruction. RT50 follows the interstates around to the south of the city but the official detour wants you to go straight though the city and rejoin the interstate to the south west of the city. Good enough if you are following the interstate... but you would end up missing a good 10-ish miles of open RT50. So after a bit of detouring and backtracking I managed to document that chunk of fun. Sheesh.

No problems with with Kansas City. Luckily, another piece of the puzzle that I was familiar with. And that's it for major cities. Yeah!

Next issue was a 20-ish mile detour in eastern CO. The beginning and end of the detour were not where the road closure started and stopped. Documenting this one required a chunk of backtracking. Not complicated but not expected.

Pueblo CO has a little routing issue didn't trip me up.

Monarch Pass, High point on the route, had some snow. Beautiful stretch of road.

There was an in-town detour in Canyon City, CO. It didn't cost much time but it did involve stopping in a weird spot to take a document-picture. Did it quickly. No problems.

Western UT and Eastern NV went by quickly (wink).

Hit Tahoe during the day with lots of traffic but it went fast enough. Pretty much stayed in traffic for the rest of the trip. Got my end DBR at the first gas station past the end sign. Went to take my end photo at the sign. There is nice wide spot on the shoulder at the location that I promptly missed... Got there on the second try after a few u-turns.

Attachments

What was your total mileage? The route I have drawn up is 3031 which is different by 42 miles from the IBA stated mileage of 3173.
Will that still pass the approval process?

igneouss

Premier Member
My total was 3090. I'll make some comments, but as always, it's up to the officials as to what they will accept. That said:
The route changes over time. Particularly in cities and towns where they decide to change which road is sign posted 'US 50'. I'd be surprised if this did not cause a few mile differences nearly every year.

'Closed for construction' areas are always out there. I tried to document each end of the ones that I encountered. I my case one in Eastern CO was many miles of closed road and detour.

I suspect that the person(s) that verify the ride will be much more interested in your Spotwalla track than in your total miles. Mapping is one thing, but pay careful attention during your ride. Google maps etc do not always have the most up to date info. In my case the road west of grand junction was both confusing and poorly sign posted. I actualy had to stop and fool with google maps a bit to figure it out. And even with that it was not entirely obvious at the time. Also, there is some level of trust involved. If you make a good faith effort to 'get r done' the IBA folks will work with you as far as they reasonably can. If you encounter something unexpected, document it. Take pictures. Add markers to what ever tracking you are using. etc.

What was your total mileage? The route I have drawn up is 3031 which is different by 42 miles from the IBA stated mileage of 3173.

My total was 3090. I'll make some comments, but as always, it's up to the officials as to what they will accept. That said:
The route changes over time. Particularly in cities and towns where they decide to change which road is sign posted 'US 50'. I'd be surprised if this did not cause a few mile differences nearly every year.

'Closed for construction' areas are always out there. I tried to document each end of the ones that I encountered. I my case one in Eastern CO was many miles of closed road and detour.

I suspect that the person(s) that verify the ride will be much more interested in your Spotwalla track than in your total miles. Mapping is one thing, but pay careful attention during your ride. Google maps etc do not always have the most up to date info. In my case the road west of grand junction was both confusing and poorly sign posted. I actualy had to stop and fool with google maps a bit to figure it out. And even with that it was not entirely obvious at the time. Also, there is some level of trust involved. If you make a good faith effort to 'get r done' the IBA folks will work with you as far as they reasonably can. If you encounter something unexpected, document it. Take pictures. Add markers to what ever tracking you are using. etc.
Thank You Sir.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I noticed that you've asked this same question 3 different times (twice here, and once in Facebook). Three different people have told you essentially the same answer. I hope this answers your question.

FLHXHS

Premier Member
That's cool. looks like a great ride. I'm trying to be more retentive on my Spotwalla usage. [photos of odometer/gas receipts on a fuel stop].

I've looked at your hotel nights - usually off the road at a respectable time, then on the move early. Makes for a nicer ride I'm sure.

Congratulations on your successful execution. Did you check "21 Days under the Sky" ..? [Movie/documentary]

H