Honda NC700X Questions

Jack D

Premier Member
I am looking for a lightweight bike for doing long distance riding. The NC700X is a bike of interest. I have seen some of these at the IBA party so some of you have at least tried them. My concerns are: is there enough electrical power for led auxiliary lights and a heated jacket and gloves? What did you do for an extra fuel tank? I am 5'7", 160 lbs. and have a 29" inseam, can the bike be lowered easily? Will the bike maintain 80 mph on those boring interstate runs? Any answers or other information you can give me would be appreciated.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Great choice - I think the NC700X is a great budget friendly bike. Looking forward to hearing the input from others. I also think the Honda Africa Twin makes a good all-around bike with better suspension and bigger fuel tank; but of course at nearly double the NC700X price. :)

Lola T

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have a 2014 NC700X with the DCT. I made a lot of modifications and have over 45,000 miles on it including riding Butt Lite in '16, a SaddleSore in March, and will be riding it in BL again next month. Ernie Azevedo made an aux tank, adding 3.9 gallons to the 3.2 stock tank. (with Terry's Africa Twin and 2 additional tanks - 1.5 and 2 gallons - I still go further than he can; typically close to 350 miles depending on speed and wind). The plumbing for the aux tank goes through the vent line, and it often locks up in high heat, but I have a metal pillion seat cover that has a cutout for the fill on the main tank that I can reach back and loosen if that happens and I need to keep going. I switched the headlight to LED to decrease electrical draw and the only issue now is I have to tape over half of the area so as not to blind oncoming traffic or Terry's mirrors if he's in front at night. I have a charging station in my tank bag for my phone and SENA, plus run heated pants and jacket with zero problems. I have Touratech side cases that I love compared to the Honda ones that came with it, a GIVI top box that mounts on the aux tank, Barkbusters, and a custom seat.
Riding long distances at speed is no problem - I use a throttle lock - and I can keep up with Terry easily. I changed to a wider windscreen for greater protection and added crash bars. I am lighter than you, 5'7'' and have a 30" inseam and it's easy to get my feet comfortably down, so not sure about lowering it. I did put on handlebar risers. The stock side stand is long; had to shorten it a bit to be able to park on anything other than a slope; it's a bit underpowered for passing on an uphill at high speeds but I just allow more time.
As to the AT, Terry got the DCT as well since the reviewers like it for off-road riding. It fits me like the NC when the seat is lowered. I don't know that it's quite as comfortable as my bike for LD riding...but he's using it for that right now because it fits better into our longer range plans.