Hopeless class

tcapling

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
is there a listing of which bikes were considered hopeless class when they competed in the IBR? Not looking for a list of everything that might fit into the class, only of those bikes that have actually been entered into the rally as a hopeless class entry.

Some are obvious like the re-5 and the helix and the Ural. But others not so obvious like Dylan Spinks gl1000 and silver wing - were these hopless only because of their age? (Not knocking his bikes as they appeared to be well set up)

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
While there is a lot of info here - IBR Facts Page there isn't a list of Hopeless Class entries. Some of the older hopeless class entries would no longer be allowed due to the current rules. It's at the discretion of Mike, (and Lisa likely has some input), but generally older and lower displacement or bikes that you can't just go buy parts for at a dealership end up qualifying. Anything in the 250 class likely qualifies, as do things like most '80's bikes or older.

You can gather a fair amount of data just by googling 'Iron Butt Rally Hopeless Class' too.

I've discussed this with Mike Kneebone in the past and generally speaking you could pick most of the bikes from the early years of the IBR and get a hopeless class entry. When I specifically discussed Moto Guzzi, he mentioned it would have to be '83 or older, at the time we spoke some years ago, since that was the model year of Steve Attwood's winning steed in the '93 IBR.

If you've got an idea for a hopeless class bike, just send Mike or Ira a PM and ask if it will qualify. Some people just submit their entries on the bikes they have, which end up being hopeless class. Ken Morton did that for his first IBR and got an email asking "Are you really going to ride an '82 Honda GL500 in the IBR?" Ken simply replied that was the only bike he had, so yes. He had some issues during the rally, but still pulled off a Silver level finish.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The Hopeless class is really an interesting designation. Some are hopeless just because of age, like 3-time DNF'er (but finally made it) Leonard Aron's Indian. Others were hopeless fresh out of the box, like Paul Pelland's Ural. It was a current model with factory support that needed three engines to finish. Old BMW airheads, rotary-engined bikes with almost no spare party availability, teeny tiny bikes, sidecar rigs carrying an entire family - truly what legends are made of. :)

I think the rally has gotten harder for the Hopeless class. Most of the above ran in the rally when one could ride it checkpoint to checkpoint and still be considered a finisher. In more recent IBRs one needs to complete within the time limit but also needs to accumulate a minimum number of points to be a finisher. This, of course, adds mileage, the enemy of the Hopeless class, making them hopelesser and hopelesser. Maybe it should be renamed the Hopelessest class. :)

Ira

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
In '11 John Young entered with a '69 Triumph T150 Trident. This pretty much fits every description Ira just gave. Note this is a triple. I did his tech inspection and noticed a few things... John had his coils mounted on the handlebars. FOUR of them. I asked why four when it was a triple. He replied that when one fails, which they are prone to do, he can just swap the wires to the spare and continue on. He also carried a complete engine gasket set for the bike. He finished 73rd out of 76 finishers that year and came in with a smile on his face. Well done John.

If you're going to ride an old bike in the IBR, you had better know it inside and out, (and upside down), and be prepared for anything.

tcapling

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So I was looking at the IBR facts page and this is what I came up with for hopeless class entries through the years (based only on the bike not family's etc):

Doug Packard - Kawasaki KLR650 ('90
Fritz Lang - Honda Silver Wing ('79)

Ed Otto - Honda Helix scooter ('95)
Leonard Aron - Indian Chief ('46)
Fritz Lang - Honda Silver Wing ('79)
Bob Honemann - BMW R60/2 ('65)
Garve Nelson - Honda Ascot ('83)

Martin Hildebrandt - Zundapp KS175 ('79)
Leonard Aron -Indian Chief ('46)
Jim Barthell - Kawasaki KLR650

Ken Hatton - Suzuki GN 125
Garve Nelson - Yamaha Virago
Leonard Aron - Indian Chief *
Marsha Roach - Panzer

Bob Ray - Honda Reflex scooter ('97)
Jim Winterer - Yamaha SR500
Paul Meredith - Cagiva Mito 125 ('00)
Leonard Aron - Indian Chief ('46)
Keith Keating - Suzuki GN125E ('97)
Paul Pelland - Ural Solo
Bobb Todd - CB125

Ken Morton - Honda GL500 ('82)
Jim Winterer - Yamaha SR500 ('81)

Duke Dunsford - Kawasaki 250 Ninja ('93)
Steve Steller - Vespa Piaggio X9 ('05)
Bill Crittenden - Boss Hoss BH-3 ('01)

Joel Rappoport - BMW R60/6 ('76)
Donald A Jones - Honda GL1000 ('78)
Alan Bennett - Kawasaki Ninja 250 ('04)

Joel Rappoport - BMW R60/6 ('76)
Barry Bertram - Kawasaki EX250
Alex Harper - Suzuki RE5 ('93)
Neil Ward - Kawasaki KLR650 ('08)

John Young - Triumph T150 Trident ('69)
Earl Damron - Kawasaki KLR 650 ('09)

Scott Thornton - Yamaha XS1100 ('78)
Robert Koeber - Honda XBR500 ('86)
Kurt Worden - Kawasaki Ninja ('03)

Kurt Worden - Kawasaki Ninja250 ('03)
Lynda Lahman - BMW C650GT ('13)

Dylan Spink - Honda GL1000 ('77)
Kurt Worden - Kawasaki EX250 ('03)
Yohinori Ishii - Suzuki Bergman 400 ('08)
Jerry Anderson - Suzuki GT750 ('74)

Dylan Spink - Honda Silverwing ('83)
Jerald Anderson - Suzuki GT750 ('74)

I know I have to have missed some.
I included the KLR650s only because they were listed under s,albeit bikes to compete (complete?)
I included the 2 maxi scooters that I saw -not sure if Linda's c650gt counted as hopeless.

The hopeless class really intrigues me.

tcapling

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
In '11 John Young entered with a '69 Triumph T150 Trident. This pretty much fits every description Ira just gave. Note this is a triple. I did his tech inspection and noticed a few things... John had his coils mounted on the handlebars. FOUR of them. I asked why four when it was a triple. He replied that when one fails, which they are prone to do, he can just swap the wires to the spare and continue on. He also carried a complete engine gasket set for the bike. He finished 73rd out of 76 finishers that year and came in with a smile on his face. Well done John.

If you're going to ride an old bike in the IBR, you had better know it inside and out, (and upside down), and be prepared for anything.
That's pretty cool about the 4th coil. I have enjoyed seeing underdog bikes in the rally.
I think I've read all the hopeless class ride reports and Joel's book.

ibafran

That's pretty cool about the 4th coil. I have enjoyed seeing underdog bikes in the rally.
I think I've read all the hopeless class ride reports and Joel's book.
Hmmm? My recollection is that the coils were mounted on the side of the bike? There is a photo somewhere. The coils might have been moved after tech inspection but before the riding of the event? BITD, it was common for Brit Bike riders to replace the dodgy (by reputation only as the coil often tested 'good' because the one or more of the wiring contacts had failed) with very cheap and stone reliable auto coils (about $6USD) from K-Mart.

Story Moment: Eddie Otto knew that I am a big brit bike fan and phoned me from the start line to let me talk with John Young. I wished John the very best of fun and safety and told him that the entire membership of the Chicago Norton Owners Club was rooting for him. If I had been a drinking man, I would have celebrated John's successful finishing with a 3 day drunk.
fran

J.Young

Triumph Triple Engine mounting brackets expert
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I've just seen this thread - only two and a bit year too late !!

However, regarding my coils - they were mounted in the nose of the Windjammer.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've just seen this thread - only two and a bit year too late !!

However, regarding my coils - they were mounted in the nose of the Windjammer.
Thanks for the correction John. I remembered they were up front and easy to get to, but failed on the actual location. :) Cletha has some good stories about you from '11. I especially liked the one about you asking if lane splitting was legal, in some state it wasn't, and your response when told it wasn't legal there. She sends hugs your way too.

J.Young

Triumph Triple Engine mounting brackets expert
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the correction John. I remembered they were up front and easy to get to, but failed on the actual location. :) Cletha has some good stories about you from '11. I especially liked the one about you asking if lane splitting was legal, in some state it wasn't, and your response when told it wasn't legal there. She sends hugs your way too.
Ah yes I remember that well Lol !! I've always had a "laissez faire" approach to traffic law, seeing things like that (and especially speed limits) as "for guidance purposes only" ..... Lol !!!

As Cletha will no doubt know, I've still got the T150 Trident and every time the applications open for the next IBR, i sit there thinking "I wonder if I should have another go ?"

37140690_10157457537999045_6417495603462275072_n.jpg

tcapling

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ah yes I remember that well Lol !! I've always had a "laissez faire" approach to traffic law, seeing things like that (and especially speed limits) as "for guidance purposes only" ..... Lol !!!

As Cletha will no doubt know, I've still got the T150 Trident and every time the applications open for the next IBR, i sit there thinking "I wonder if I should have another go ?"

View attachment 11065
The answer is yes. Yes you should.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

View attachment 11065
Go for it!