How do I set up a "Ride-In" to the BAT so I can get my cert while I'm there?

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A popular BAT ride over the years has involved logging 1,000 miles or more on your way to attend the Big As Texas Party. To get started, simply register for the Big As Texas Party on the ibaestore and then register separately for your Ride In. You will be contacted by Event Staff who will ask you for certain details about your proposed qualifying ride to the BAT Party. By providing that information you make it easier for the Staff to evaluate your ride in advance to help assure it covers the miles in question. They will also work out any other details you may need such as receipts at certain locations, a SpotWalla tracker if you can provide it, etc.

The payoff in the end is fantastic. Successful riders will be presented their IBA certificate for the ride on Saturday afternoon by Mr. Ironbutt, Mike Kneebone.

craydds

Premier Member
I may plan a ride from Las Cruces, Nuevo Mexico. Leave early Friday morning, Sept. 23. Ride up north to the Texas panhandle, trek across, then down to Allen. Log over 1000 miles for my first OFFICIAL SS1000. I do have SW Tracker and Spotwalla.

craydds

Premier Member
Got registered for the BAT Party! I am not an IBA member so I don't have a membership number. Which ride do I sign up for to get my first SS1000... 2022-BAT-1000? ibaestore says the 2022-BAT-Ride-In is for IBA members only, won't let me sign up for that ride.

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Got registered for the BAT Party! I am not an IBA member so I don't have a membership number. Which ride do I sign up for to get my first SS1000... 2022-BAT-1000? ibaestore says the 2022-BAT-Ride-In is for IBA members only, won't let me sign up for that ride.
I'll work it out for you. Give me a few minutes.

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I did sign up for the 2022-BAT-1000 . Is this the SS1000 group event?
Yes, that is the Bonnie & Clyde group event. You can ride that as a non-member to obtain membership, or you can do a Ride In to obtain membership, or if you start the Ride In early enough to be at the start Friday morning for the Bonnie & Clyde SS1000, you can do both. See, this is really quite easy. ;) If you want to do the Ride In instead of the 2022-BAT-1000 we'll get you switched to that in the records. Let me know your preference.

Thanks for joining us. Looking forward to a great event this year!

craydds

Premier Member
Yes, that is the Bonnie & Clyde group event. You can ride that as a non-member to obtain membership, or you can do a Ride In to obtain membership, or if you start the Ride In early enough to be at the start Friday morning for the Bonnie & Clyde SS1000, you can do both. See, this is really quite easy. ;) If you want to do the Ride In instead of the 2022-BAT-1000 we'll get you switched to that in the records. Let me know your preference.

Thanks for joining us. Looking forward to a great event this year!
Cliff, I'll ride to Allen, TX on Thurs, Sept. 24, approximately a 700 mile ride. (Could add a 300 mile loop to make a SS1000; kinda on the fence at present.) I'll be ready Friday morning for the Bonnie and Clyde SS1000. So, I'll only do the Bonnie & Clyde run. Won't do the additional Ride-In SS1000. THANK YOU.

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Cliff, I'll ride to Allen, TX on Thurs, Sept. 24, approximately a 700 mile ride. (Could add a 300 mile loop to make a SS1000; kinda on the fence at present.) I'll be ready Friday morning for the Bonnie and Clyde SS1000. So, I'll only do the Bonnie & Clyde run. Won't do the additional Ride-In SS1000. THANK YOU.
Awesome! Sounds like a good plan. See you then.

Alex

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If I complete the RAT in Sherman, then head down to the BAT HQ and get an additional non-RAT receipt, if it bad form for me to get a ride-in SS3K in addition to my RAT cert? I feel like this is a goofy question for me to ask as a two-time IBR vet, but I’m asking nonetheless.

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If I complete the RAT in Sherman, then head down to the BAT HQ and get an additional non-RAT receipt, if it bad form for me to get a ride-in SS3K in addition to my RAT cert? I feel like this is a goofy question for me to ask as a two-time IBR vet, but I’m asking nonetheless.
Hey Alex. That would be a "nesting" question I believe and I don't know the answer. I will find out though unless someone weighs in here before me.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Asking is good.

The RAT states in the ride description HERE that "You may start at any of the mandatory checkpoints. Your finish checkpoint is back to where you started." Sherman is not one of the mandatory checkpoints. If I understand that correctly, you may not complete the RAT in Sherman. You would need to start and end at one of the mandatory checkpoints. I see a quick mileage for the RAT of 3100 or so. I don't know if it's possible to do one in under 3k miles.

As far as nesting an SS3K ride inside a RAT, if you document a SS3K in 72 hours or less, and finish the RAT in 85 hours or less, it would appear that you can nest the SS3K inside the RAT, as I understand the rules. You could not nest a SS3K inside a RAT Gold of 70 hours.

"The IBA ride rules allow for certification of a shorter mileage event within a longer ride."

And

"The basic rule for multiple certificates on the same ride is that if one ride, by definition, is completed within another, IBA will only issue a single certificate."

It clearly is possible to complete the RAT in 85 hours w/o doing a SS3K in 72 hours, so you should be golden.

Nesting rules

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Asking is good.

The RAT states in the ride description HERE that "You may start at any of the mandatory checkpoints. Your finish checkpoint is back to where you started." Sherman is not one of the mandatory checkpoints. If I understand that correctly, you may not complete the RAT in Sherman. You would need to start and end at one of the mandatory checkpoints. I see a quick mileage for the RAT of 3100 or so. I don't know if it's possible to do one in under 3k miles.

As far as nesting an SS3K ride inside a RAT, if you document a SS3K in 72 hours or less, and finish the RAT in 85 hours or less, it would appear that you can nest the SS3K inside the RAT, as I understand the rules. You could not nest a SS3K inside a RAT Gold of 70 hours.

"The IBA ride rules allow for certification of a shorter mileage event within a longer ride."

And

"The basic rule for multiple certificates on the same ride is that if one ride, by definition, is completed within another, IBA will only issue a single certificate."

It clearly is possible to complete the RAT in 85 hours w/o doing a SS3K in 72 hours, so you should be golden.

Nesting rules
Eric - thanks for the clarification on the nesting issue. Alex is riding the RAT as part of the Big As Texas Ride-a-Palooza and Sherman was added as the start/finish for the RAT due to its proximity to the host hotel in Allen, TX. You are correct that it is not a regular required stop for the RAT.

Alex

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I’m looking at the RAT gold, with the nice pad of being able to trade in the “gold” for an extra 15 hours if I decide to fart around and see the scenery a little.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I’m looking at the RAT gold, with the nice pad of being able to trade in the “gold” for an extra 15 hours if I decide to fart around and see the scenery a little.
Just remember if you do the RAT Gold, you won't be able to nest the SS3K ride. Doing the RAT Gold in 70 hours, by definition, meant you did the SS3K in under 72, so doesn't qualify for nesting.

Have a great ride. TX offers a lot to see and a diverse range of roads.

AirbusFlieger

A popular BAT ride over the years has involved logging 1,000 miles or more on your way to attend the Big As Texas Party. To get started, simply register for the Big As Texas Party on the ibaestore and then register separately for your Ride In. You will be contacted by Event Staff who will ask you for certain details about your proposed qualifying ride to the BAT Party. By providing that information you make it easier for the Staff to evaluate your ride in advance to help assure it covers the miles in question. They will also work out any other details you may need such as receipts at certain locations, a SpotWalla tracker if you can provide it, etc.

The payoff in the end is fantastic. Successful riders will be presented their IBA certificate for the ride on Saturday afternoon by Mr. Ironbutt, Mike Kneebone.
Is there a specific address as a destination?

Thank you,
AF

Cliff Wall

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yes! We send all that info after you register. Hope to see you there!
Is there a specific address as a destination?

Thank you,
AF
To further clarify, if you want to do a “Ride-in” to the event you would start at any location (like maybe where you live) and document a ride of at least 1,000 miles to get to the event. The event is held in the DFW (North Texas) area.