How do you entertain a non-rider spouse?

Let’s say you want to attend an event such as JAX-Pizza Party. Spouse likes the idea of heading to Florida to escape the endless winter. You plan on attending the banquet together but what does the non-riding spouse do for entertainment while you participate in one of the organized rides.

Is there such a thing as a support group for spouses of the cycle-heads?:D

(Don’t even think about suggesting staying in a motel room and watching TV:eek:)

Thanks for the wisdom that comes from your long suffering spouses.

-Mark

Kendoo

Premier Member
How is the non-riding spouse getting to JAX? It's a delicate balance for sure. If you are only doing a long weekend in Jax, I'd say the banquet and staying in the host hotel is your treat, let her call the shots the rest of the time. If you are spending a week or so down there, you and I will do one of the Thursday rides and our wives can hang out together. Just understand that our rides will be the cheapest part of that day, LOL.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I'm fortunate that my bride is quite supportive of my riding. She once commented that "I like how you are when you come back".

Dave28117

Premier Member
UBER to the beach perhaps while you do your ride?

Be conscious of weather. we went down this past March. it rained like a ..... well....you know. While my wife does ride, we only went over to the beach to have lunch. The rain made it a bit chilly too. Weather at this time of year in northern FL is right on the edge of good or chilly.

I didn't do any of the sanctioned rides at this gathering. we just dawned the rain gear to make the trip for lunch.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If she doesn't ride, that's sort of the focus of the weekend. It is a Long Distance rider, IBA event, after all. Many of the people at the hotel when others are doing one of the sanctioned rides will still be riders and IBA members there for socializing with other like minded individuals. There aren't any non-riding type of organized events aside from a relatively small sub group going to lunch one day.

Unless she enjoys doing things alone while you're off riding a cert ride, you either need to plan additional days to do other things together that interest her as well as you, or she may be better served taking a rain check and calling that in for a trip she wants to do somewhere.

I am curious, if she's not a rider, how are you both getting there? Towing the bike on a trailer? If she has transportation of her own, that might make all the difference with a little research on things to do. Perhaps a spa day for her while you're doing the ride?

Thanks for the replies.

The trip is very much in the planning stages. No decisions on riding, trailering, or renting.

Home to JAX is 1600+ miles. If the weather co-operates, I could ride a bun burner. Wife would fly down in that scenario.

Week before would be touristy things, Daytona Beach, Kennedy Space Center, etc...

@Kendoo "If you are spending a week or so down there, you and I will do one of the Thursday rides and our wives can hang out together. "
This is certainly worth discussing in a PM.

-Mark