How do you find the GPS odometer on Apple Maps for the ride log? Is it necessary for the award?

Hello there, I am thinking of doing the Iron Butt challenge during my road trip in July. I printed out the ride log and noticed there are two columns that ask for an odometer reading at each stop. The first one is easy- motorcycle odometer is just the odometer on my motorcycle. But the second one doesn't make any sense to me. I use Apple Maps because I am very familiar with it and can easily see the blue line while I am driving. But while it will tell me how many miles I have left to my destination, it doesn't tell me how many miles I've traveled so far. Also, I can just back out the number because when I go off course (pull over for gas or food) it doesn't keep a record of that. I am worried that I will fill out everything correctly, take pictures of my receipts next to my odometer, and then not get the certificate because I don't have a GPS with an odometer reading. Does anyone know if it is necessary to have a GPS odometer reading to get the award? Thank you so much.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
An actual GPS will have an actual odometer. If you are not using an actual GPS, ignore that column and use the bike's odometer.

Thank you so much. I did find an app that I am testing with my car. It's called driversnote and it does tell you how many miles you went. So I may try using that as well. But I am going to make my bike odometer and getting the receipts with the time stamp my first priority.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just make sure you include enough miles MC odometers can be and frequently are off. Your route start to finish need to be planned in google maps or some other planner to make sure you don't come up short. Include a few extra to be sure

When I did the route on Apple Maps it said that it was 1014 miles. That doesn't count me getting off the freeway for food or gas. Do you think that would be enough? I was planning on going from my favorite motel in South Dakota (the Rocket Motel) to a 24 hour gas station in Michigan City. There seem to be several there. I just called one of the stations and the guy said that sometimes they close from 2-3am but that if I call him the day before he will make sure he comes to the door even if I arrive during that time.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
We recommend that your calculated route be 2-3% longer than the minimum just to be on the safe side.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If I say yes and it turns out that it is not, I wouldn't want you to say "But Ira said it would be enough." So I leave the answer to you. :)

Ira

CB650F

Premier Member
When I did my rides, I just used the GPS to calculate a route back to my start location then used that mileage as the GPS miles. Pretty simple really.

For mileage, I had 1038 and 1045 miles for my two rides so far. I don't think 1014 is enough. I suggest 1025 at an absolute minimum. Less than that is cutting it too close IMO.

When I did my rides, I just used the GPS to calculate a route back to my start location then used that mileage as the GPS miles. Pretty simple really.

For mileage, I had 1038 and 1045 miles for my two rides so far. I don't think 1014 is enough. I suggest 1025 at an absolute minimum. Less than that is cutting it too close IMO.
I just had another question- when you say your rides were at 1038 and 1045 was that what the distance was directly from beginning to end or did that include pulling off the freeway for food and gas? The reason I'm asking is that the 1014 miles would be without any stops. So maybe to be safe I need to continue to the next town. But if I can count the mileage pulling off for food and gas that might put me up to 1020 or 1030. Anyway, I guess I will just have to see how it goes at the time and err on the side of caution. But I was just curious if the mileage you mentioned included the miles you traveled for food and gas. Sorry to be asking so many questions. I will be doing this ride on my own and hope not to screw it up.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
You're implying that this is a 'point-to-point' ride. Point A to B, along one road. Please clarify if this isn't the case.

You're right in that the mileage from exit ramps to gas stations, etc. are counted in the distance, but how much distance do you think that might be in a thousand plus mile day? Two? Five?

That's kinda the point...we really don't have the capability of doing those computations - and YOU don't want to be trying to do those calculations with twelve plus hours of motorcycle riding completed. :cool:

All us us wish you the best of success in your upcoming Saddlesore!

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You're implying that this is a 'point-to-point' ride. Point A to B, along one road. Please clarify if this isn't the case.

You're right in that the mileage from exit ramps to gas stations, etc. are counted in the distance, but how much distance do you think that might be in a thousand plus mile day? Two? Five?

That's kinda the point...we really don't have the capability of doing those computations - and YOU don't want to be trying to do those calculations with twelve plus hours of motorcycle riding completed. :cool:

And the verification team won't necessarily have access the that either. They're going to have the locations as shown by your receipts typically I think they put in your start/ends and any marked corners and see whatever mapping program they use computes it to if it's real close they may then dig deeper.

If on one of your gas stops you get off the highway go right to a gas station you can see that is a 1/2 mile away but it turns out its closed and you have to do a u-turn back to the hwy and find an open station 1/4 mile on the other side the receipt for the gas you got would only add 1/2 mile to your route the mile you went to get to and return from the closed station evaporates.

Your on the right track, pick a start and stop that Google maps (or whatever) says has a sufficient cushion, make sure there aren't and shortcut opportunities the mapping program doesn't use (i.e. the program use a Loop around a city when it's possible to go straight though) the loop will be faster but is 4 or 5 miles farther than straight through when verified you'll likely lose those miles unless you somehow prove you were there gas or toll receipt spotwalla track etc. But I wouldn't even really worry about it provided you have a sufficient cushion.

Don't over think it pick a decent route and have fun.

Hi there, I'm not sure what you mean by point to point ride. I'm really new at this. But the ride I was thinking of was pretty much on one road. From the Rocket Motel in Custer, South Dakota to St. Joseph, Michigan. Almost the entire ride is on highway 90 East. At the end 90 and 94 are the same. Then at the very end it becomes highway 94. I'm going to be spending 8 weeks tooling around the country, starting from Oregon, going to Washington DC, and back. I have many stops along the way but nothing in particular I wanted to do from Custer to Washington DC. So that is why I thought I would attempt the Iron Butt Challenge there. Is it a problem that almost the entire trip is along one road?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi there, I'm not sure what you mean by point to point ride. I'm really new at this. But the ride I was thinking of was pretty much on one road. From the Rocket Motel in Custer, South Dakota to St. Joseph, Michigan. Almost the entire ride is on highway 90 East. At the end 90 and 94 are the same. Then at the very end it becomes highway 94. I'm going to be spending 8 weeks tooling around the country, starting from Oregon, going to Washington DC, and back. I have many stops along the way but nothing in particular I wanted to do from Custer to Washington DC. So that is why I thought I would attempt the Iron Butt Challenge there. Is it a problem that almost the entire trip is along one road?
Let's put it this way: Your odometer means almost nothing to the verification team. It's a comparative tool only. They will map your route out based upon your stated route, your receipts then verify your stated route. They make no allowances for your deviations from your stated route plan to get gas or anything else unless you state and document a detour. And in that case, the detour should have been part of the route you give them. They will determine the length of your ride based upon the documentation you give them, not by what your odometer says. Odometers are classically off by up to 10%. Yours might be spot on, or not. That's part of why they ask for your GPS odo too, just as another back up to compare when they verify your route. Not having the secondary odo is no big deal, as has been stated before.

Plan your route on Google Maps or Apple maps and see what it says for distance. Google Maps can be selected for some 'avoids' so be careful about that in the options. It will usually show you the shortest route, and sometimes alternatives. Compare that to your Apple Maps route. That might catch a glaring error where you could have taken a short cut, which will tell you where you may need to add another stop to document that you took the route you say you did.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>So that is why I thought I would attempt the Iron Butt Challenge there. Is it a problem that almost the entire trip is along one road?
Not one bit; in fact, it makes things easy.

@EricV post immediately preceding this one explains it better than I tried to in his first paragraph. @rneal55555 has also provided some pertinent pieces of info as well (as in the don't overthink it part...), and that is VERY easy to do - I'm personally a big offender of this myself.

I've never used Apple Maps, so I can't vouch for validity, but when I check miles on a thousand mile ride with Google Maps, it's usually pretty darn close - especially if you're gonna go along a single road (Interstate highway) to accomplish it.

'Margin for error' is what we're all trying to help with. The old paper map days this was much more common for this to happen...plan a ~1000 mile ride, ride a ~1000 mile ride, your odometer claims you've done a thousand mile ride, and one ends up being a few miles short. Nobody wants that to happen, and all we're doing is providing our (collective) insight on how to avoid that.

My personal 'tightest' ride distance was 1517 certified miles for a 1500+ mile ride. Now, this is a VERY common route (Jax Beach FL to Van Horn, TX) and many others have certified that distance before me.

So, though it can be done, doing something that tight on a first ride is discouraged.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
My personal 'tightest' ride distance was 1517 certified miles for a 1500+ mile ride. Now, this is a VERY common route (Jax Beach FL to Van Horn, TX) and many others have certified that distance before me.
My 'tightest' was an Aloha SS1k of 1,013 miles. Loosest was a 2-up SS1k during a rally... It was 1,405 miles. :eek:

Let's put it this way: Your odometer means almost nothing to the verification team. It's a comparative tool only. They will map your route out based upon your stated route, your receipts then verify your stated route. They make no allowances for your deviations from your stated route plan to get gas or anything else unless you state and document a detour. And in that case, the detour should have been part of the route you give them. They will determine the length of your ride based upon the documentation you give them, not by what your odometer says. Odometers are classically off by up to 10%. Yours might be spot on, or not. That's part of why they ask for your GPS odo too, just as another back up to compare when they verify your route. Not having the secondary odo is no big deal, as has been stated before.

Plan your route on Google Maps or Apple maps and see what it says for distance. Google Maps can be selected for some 'avoids' so be careful about that in the options. It will usually show you the shortest route, and sometimes alternatives. Compare that to your Apple Maps route. That might catch a glaring error where you could have taken a short cut, which will tell you where you may need to add another stop to document that you took the route you say you did.
Thanks so much for all the feedback. Your explanation makes sense. I feel much better leaving a buffer. It also helps to understand that any deviations from the freeway really won't count. I had thought that a starting mileage of 1014 plus several additional miles for food and gas would be enough but I agree that it's really not worth taking a chance. So I'll plan the route as 1045 plus stops for food and gas just to be safe. Thank you.