How To Get Started With Rallies

Dave28117

Premier Member
I've done some searching here as well as the IBA website. While I find a lot about doing IBA certified rides, there's not much info regarding rallies and specifically how a newb gets started with those fun and games. is there a good location to check for short to medium rallies, particularly as I look out into 2022?

I did see the post about the new FBX rally. it seems a bit daunting to me at this point. I also saw with the 2021 Heart Of Texas rally that they had or are having a training session. something along these lines are the types of things I'm looking for. Are there others such as me who are struggling to find info?

Dave28117

Premier Member
The team strange link seemed to be a good one. They have documents from prior years to use as a base. One year was Maggie Valley to Lexington and back, so I think that would a good primer.

Now it looks like most folks use Basecamp on a laptop to map out coordinates and decide on a route, which then has to be converted to a GPS file for an actual route. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Both.

Garmin GPS for primary nav, split-screen tablet for aux nav and weather.

Please forgive me if this is common knowledge, or a dumb question:
What is the purpose/need for more than a single GPS navigation device?
How often does the weather display actually effect/change your route? Or is weather more of a 'know what's coming' so you can don appropriate gear at the stop before you encounter it type of thing?

lakota

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I use 2GPSs so that one stays on the planned route and does either point to point or what if drills.
the weather app tells me what might be coming. I don’t think I have ever changed a route based on the weather. I have taken a break to let thunderstorms go by.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Please forgive me if this is common knowledge, or a dumb question:
The only dumb one is the one left unasked.

What is the purpose/need for more than a single GPS navigation device?
Multiple options. Allowing one to continue navigating while playing "what if?" with the other. In the case of Waze and GM, if they disagree, I go with whichever most agrees with the Garmin. Majority rules, so to speak. Unless I have local knowledge that would trump what they are telling me, I have to trust something.

How often does the weather display actually effect/change your route? Or is weather more of a 'know what's coming' so you can don appropriate gear at the stop before you encounter it type of thing?
Donning and doffing gear is a waste of time. The gear we[1] wear is the gear we wear. Our "normal" gear is also our "rain" gear. The only additional gear we carry that is not worn all the time is heated liners. Those are usually only worn real late at night or first thing in the morning (like when it was 32° when we left Townsend on Day 2).

Knowing about approaching weather can allow you to route around severe TSs or stop and wait for one to blow by. Typically if the TS is bad enough to cause a stop, it is also fast moving and will only delay you by 10-15 min. Much better than laying in the ditch hoping someone sees you before you die.

[1] Edit to add: We = Wife and I. Although it also applies to a lot of other rally riders, I do not presume to speak for anyone else.

Last edited:

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This thread reminds me of a guy I used to work with. Always talking about how good he was at this thing or that thing, etc. One day the company had a golf outing, this guy, always said how great he was at golf, and sure enough shows up in full high-end golf gear. From the Nike clothes to shoes to the best clubs he looked like he stepped off the PGA tour, best of everything, had everything.

Problem was, he couldn't golf for crap, all looks, no game...

My point is, be aware of what expirenced rally riders have and use, but it is not required nor recommended to show up with a fully kitted bike to try and run your first rally. Learning how to use four screens on the fly while figuring out your first rally is not a good idea.

Run a rally as mentioned, maybe a 1 or 2 day event. Learn what worked and didn't work for you, walk the parking lot and look at other bikes, talk to other riders, adjust, adapt and try another. In time you'll assemble a bike that has what YOU need, not what others use...there is a difference.

A rally bike, much like the rally itself is all about you, so while it's great to learn and ask questions, do not feel like you need two GPS devices, a phone, hydration, aux fuel and so on, before you try your first rally.

I ran my first one on a near stock bike, I ran my second on a near stock bike, I ran a 50cc the hard way on a stock bike, heck, I just finished the IBR on a near stock bike with only 964 miles on it at the start....and I only had ONE FLASHLIGHT (inside joke)

Don't get me wrong, everything said here is wise sage advice, but simply put, run what you brung and enjoy the ride, note what failed or hurt or left you lacking and go from there.

Sometimes more is just more...

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Go ahead...I won't judge... publically.
BS, yes you will! :D

We used to do this stuff with paper maps, highlighters and a bike. The buy in does not have to be large. Go, do, enjoy, learn from the experience.

You will end up going places you wouldn't have gone, seeing new things, sharing with new people and having a memorable time.

Says a guy doing a scooter ride across the country on a 150cc scooter with 14.4 Hp. Totally a different animal from LD riding and rally bikes.

JP Handley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've done some searching here as well as the IBA website. While I find a lot about doing IBA certified rides, there's not much info regarding rallies and specifically how a newb gets started with those fun and games. is there a good location to check for short to medium rallies, particularly as I look out into 2022?

I did see the post about the new FBX rally. it seems a bit daunting to me at this point. I also saw with the 2021 Heart Of Texas rally that they had or are having a training session. something along these lines are the types of things I'm looking for. Are there others such as me who are struggling to find info?
Find a rally that offers a rally clinic. BigTex in Oct, Wayne is offering a clinic for anyone with two or less rallies under their belts. This is how I got into them in 2017 with Paul Tong and Troy Martin in the NiitWit rallies.