I did it!

Morrissey

I completed my first SS1000 ride back on July 29, 2017!!! I wanted to get on here sooner and let everyone know but life gets busy quick!

I left my local Petro-Canada gas station in Peterborough, ON at 04:09 am and rode to St. Philippe-de-Neri, QC and back to my local Petro-Canada at 12:04 am! I am so thrilled to have finally done one of these rides! It has been on my bucket list for a long time. I knew that I am at my best early in the day, thus the early start time and I also know that after midnight I start to get tired so I wanted to get done in 20hrs and I managed to reach my goal with 5 min to spare! It was tougher than I had hoped but not as tough as I had feared. At no point did I feel fatigued or unsafe. I did however find the comfort on my Bandit lacking after the 1000 km mark and the final 300 km my left shoulder and neck were pretty sore. Also, I have to give props to my throttle doo-hicky. I don't know what it is called, but it looks like a finger that sticks up from the throttle. Once you are at your desired speed you push it down so it rests against the break lever and holds the throttle open for you. I've had it on my bike for at least 5 years and maybe used it twice before my SS1000 but it made the difference between finishing and not finishing! My throttle hand would have cramped up with out it and I don't think I would have finished without those little breaks.

It's been a long time since I felt this sense of accomplishment and I'm really liking it. My career has been established for a long time and there is no option for advancement and my personal life is right where I want it to be. I had been looking for a goal to challenge myself with and this did it. I will definitely attempt another IBA ride in the future (I am especially interested in the lower great lakes 1000) but I will be waiting until I get a more comfortable bike. The Bandit is just too sporty for me to try another one on it. I was very happy with the size of the bike so I am considering a WeeStrom.

I have gotten all of my paper work together today and am just waiting for my Wife to get home to watch our daughters so I can run to the bank and get my check made out and then off to the post office.

Cheers!

Congrats! It's a great feeling to accomplish a goal like this, but now you may be hooked. A week ago I was just starting my SS3000k Gold ride:)

TripperMike

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congratulations Morrissey! Wondering if you can do it and knowing you can do it, from having already done it, are two totally different feelings. One is like the door is still closed but you're reaching for the knob wondering, anticipating what's on the other side. The other is like the door is wide open and you just stepped beyond the threshold. You now realize that there are so many places within reach that you otherwise might not have considered riding to because of time constraints.

Welcome to the world of LD riding. And just so you know, this feeling of accomplishment for riding a SS1K doesn't stop at your first one. I feel gratified every time I pull off a 1K day in the saddle.

Congratulations on your ride. It won't be your last. Be prepared for the "looks" from your friends and family now who just can't understand why you'd ride so far for a "piece of paper." We know that it is for that sense of accomplishment that you described. Your second certificate is much more expensive when you add in the price of the new bike. By the time you have your fifth cert, you have to account for your second gps, all new goretex gear, aux lights and fuel, and on and on. Bye bye retirement. You're among friends here - we understand

BMWguy

IBA Member
Well Good on Ya'!!
As others have so accurately stated - the challenge doesn't end with one SS1000...

Glad to hear you had a great time and arrived back home SAFE!!

Mike

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congratulations on your knocking your first one out. It certainly is a sense of achievement when you get it done.
Be careful this long distance riding gets to you and can be very addictive.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jeffrey

Congratulations - looking forward to reading a more detailed ride report. Like the rides themselves; the reports can be a little intimidating at first; but a great way to reflect and share the experience.

WY88

Premier Member
Congrats! I did my first SS1K and BB1500 in June, and did 2 more SS1Ks last week, pending approval. Found an in-state SS1K here in Washington on the 23rd, thinking about it, however a LATE start time of 10am is not appealing to me.

Congrats! I did my first SS1K and BB1500 in June, and did 2 more SS1Ks last week, pending approval. Found an in-state SS1K here in Washington on the 23rd, thinking about it, however a LATE start time of 10am is not appealing to me.
I wouldn't let the start time deter me. If you always start your rides really early; you might find a later start time allows you to get a normal night of rest.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Congrats !

Keep an eye on the IBA Events Calendar in the spring. Adrian Musters and I are planning a SS1600K Pre-Approved IBA ride that will start & end in Huntsville, Ontario. It will go up to Rouyn-Noranada, down to Ottawa, then to Toronto and back to Huntsville. Adrian is from Huntsville and he says the route will be through some great country.

EDIT: The above ride is now posted on the IBA Event Calendar, as well as a Lower Great Lakes SS1K.

Last edited:

Tele

Premier Member
Congratulations! A wonderful personal goal and now the desire to plan another ..... and another ..... and another . Best wishes for the new bike search and all the fun yet to be had !

Morrissey

So last night when I got home from work at 12am I checked my email and I had a new message from the IBA! It was to let me know that my ride had been approved! The message went on to let me know that it may still take a few weeks for my package to come in (totally understandable seeing as I did my ride in peak riding season!) but that I was an official member and let me know my IBA # is 68786!

I also have some more great LD news to share. After much haggling with my CFO (Wife) I reached an agreement to buy a new motorcycle! We settled on a budget and I began my search in the beginning of September. I had planned on simply dong research over the winter and buying in the spring, but on my first ride out to a couple of local dealerships I ended up buying a 2005 Honda ST1300! It had just been traded in and hadn't even been prepped for sale yet. It was IMMACULATE! Seriously, it was every bit as clean as the day it was sold! It only had 35,000km on it and was a one owner bike and had been sold by that dealership. The bike's previous owner was apparently obsessive with maintenance and cleaning and the bike came with an extensive service record. It was bone stock. I told the owner of the shop that I'd think about it but by the time I got home I called him back and said I'd be back on Monday (this was Saturday) to buy the bike. My Wife was even more thrilled than I was because the bike actually came in well under the original budget we set. (Little does she know that just leaves more room for farkles!) So far I have only had time to get out for 3 rides, but they were each 500km. Having a toddler and a 4yr old who just started Kindergarten eats up a lot of my riding time. I am extremely happy with the bike. I love the power, I love the smoothness, I LOVE the comfort and I really love the fact that it is shaft drive! No more chains for me! The only complaint I have about the bike is the back pressure when the windscreen is fully up but I'm sure I'l get used to it as time goes on. For now the only farkle I have planned is a Givi mounting plate. I'm going to cannibalize the top box off of my Bandit as it is in excellent condition and it's not going to get me any more $$ on the sale of Bandit, so why give it away just to buy a new one? I'm not going to do any other farkles until I've had more seat time. I want to ride it some more and figure out just what it needs from experience rather than guessing. Possibly some bar risers, a ram mount for a GPS (I'd love a GPS) and maybe some heated gear. LD Comfort shorts are first on my list! I'd also love to figure out how to mount a cup holder or get a tank bag with a bladder in it so I can have a quick drink while on the move. I found on my SS1000 that I was pretty thirsty each time I stopped.

I am really looking forward to doing my second SS1000 next season and seeing how the ST compares to the Bandit! I have a feeling the ST will be so comfortable that I will wonder how in the world I did it on my Bandit in the first place!

Last edited:

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Congratulations on the new (to you) bike and your IBA number - my wife just received her number this week as well #68778. I'm sure the back pressure could be resolved with a different windscreen (possibly one with a vent).