I feel the Need, the Need for - ACT Insanity v2.0!

Ed.

Premier Member
Ed, I did not use Williamsdale last time. It was not on the original route, AND the gas station that would have served us well, is no longer there. I would suggest we leave it out, as tracking can be a pain. Also the road is heavily used, single lane and not that safe.
Yes, agreed with all that....although an "adventure" route across the ford at Angle Crossing and up to Tharwa would add distance and variety! (no, I'm not really serious.)

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Late September is good, it would be good to lock in the actual dates soon.

The weather should still be cold at night with crisp clear days, perfect Iron Butt riding conditions. o_O
Martin Agreed. I need to avoid the AFL Grand Final, for which the date is usually the last weekend in September - I am waiting to check that

ACTCapo

OK. We are proposing Saturday 9 October, starting at 3.30am that morning and finishing in the evening. How does that look?
Barhurst weekend :eek::(

FYI, the speed limit on the top end of Kingsford Smith Dr has dropped to 70km/h to slow the lap down. Plus there is currently roadworks at the intersection of Kuringa Dr and Owen Dixon Dr; I’d definitely wait for that to be completed.

Last edited:

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Ed, I did not use Williamsdale last time. It was not on the original route, AND the gas station that would have served us well, is no longer there. I would suggest we leave it out, as tracking can be a pain. Also the road is heavily used, single lane and not that safe.
Plenty of wildlife overnight, overnight is a deterrent, too. I used it in my ride plan Ed, a few years back, with the "Cotter Loop" in the daytime.

Ed.

Premier Member
Plenty of wildlife overnight, overnight is a deterrent, too. I used it in my ride plan Ed, a few years back, with the "Cotter Loop" in the daytime.
Yeah I remember that, Ron, that was a good run. The cotter loop adds nicely to the distance and provides some variety, and Technically is within the rules (same with Williamsdale).... but I have come to think that if we are paralleling the ACT SS1000/1600 to the Washington DC one then sticking with the same route and within built up areas is more in keeping with the spirit/intent.

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have a preference to stay on the original route, as that was previously agreed with the IBA. I will ride around it soon, to check changes that have been made to speeds etc. Those who rode last time, will remember that the section up Northbourne where they were building the VST (Very Slow Train) was extremely slow due to construction, but is now finished and open. I would expect some areas to be in construction as usual. Also I cannot recommend the Cotter Loop at night - there is now lots of gravel on the road, off-camber corners and lots of wildlife. Naturally we can pre-ask for any route we want tho!

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Olaf, with the plan I ran, it included 8 "cotter loops" in the day time. and 6 "inner city" loops similar to the last, however, both the loops included the run down to Williamsdale. The reason behind this was to include a variety of route, and particularly the out and back to Williamsdale, gave a few kilometres of open speed limit. This is just an explanation of why. I'm not advocating that you need to change the previous route.

There were a couple riders that finished the previous run, with time to finish an SS2000. The pizza ended any thoughts of a SS2000.

Tele

Premier Member
I drive to Canberra regularly to visit my daughter. No matter which way we go during the day, the traffic is approaching standards one would expect in Sydney. Same here in Newcastle. The drive from the City along the tram route is 40klm at the moment with all associated road works. Two out of three lanes closed. I am free in October, but need to re-think my desire to ride around Canberra more than once. The drive in the car from the end of the Federal Highway, via Northbourne onto Commonwealth Avenue is frustrating. Maybe a Saturday will be better.