I feel the Need, the Need for - ACT Insanity v2.0!

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you dont know what this madness is, please read our posts from 2017, when 9 riders showed up in the biting cold of Canberra to ride 1610km - around and around. My thoughts this time is "do it on a different bike" to your usual TransContinental LDR machine! My thoughts are a Vespa 200 or maybe even a Harley Davidson - god forbid. It will be on a Saturday, from the Hume servo again. Would anyone be interested?

Olaf Moon

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's great to see that some want to be officials - You are most important for this venture so thank you! The rules require the rider to initial their lap-sheet after each lap, so we put these into individual clip binders with your name and bike on the cover, so that someone can bring it to you on each lap - along withe The Pizza Man offerings! Martin, I will liaise with you and other Canberrans, on a suitable date soon.

Olaf Moon

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am thinking late September, or early October, but avoiding the Melbourne Cup and finals for AFL - any thoughts? For those who asked, there is a preferred route by the IBA and we scouted many others, but I will look at this. "Marking" a turning point (like Williamsdale) becomes an issue without everyone using a SPOT or similar InReach unit.

Ed.

Premier Member
I am thinking late September, or early October, but avoiding the Melbourne Cup and finals for AFL - any thoughts? For those who asked, there is a preferred route by the IBA and we scouted many others, but I will look at this. "Marking" a turning point (like Williamsdale) becomes an issue without everyone using a SPOT or similar InReach unit.
With out getting bogged in details, I didn't think you used Williamsdale last time?

Fatman

it’s not enough of a challenge as-is?
I found the ACT Insanity the toughest 1 day ride I have done with LTP, mainly due to the concentration required having traffic around you most of the time, traffic lights, roundabouts/intersections and speed cameras, fixed and mobile just thrown in to keep you on your toes.

Not sure I would have it in me for another one but best of luck for the riders that step up to the challenge.

Great challenge though. :)

Olaf Moon

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
With out getting bogged in details, I didn't think you used Williamsdale last time?
Ed, I did not use Williamsdale last time. It was not on the original route, AND the gas station that would have served us well, is no longer there. I would suggest we leave it out, as tracking can be a pain. Also the road is heavily used, single lane and not that safe.