IBA Canada?

I know that there are numerous IBAs from around the world and I assume that they are all monitored and affiliated with the main IBA in the US. Is there a reason that there isn't an IBA Canada?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I know that there are numerous IBAs from around the world and I assume that they are all monitored and affiliated with the main IBA in the US. Is there a reason that there isn't an IBA Canada?
We have IBA offices in Europe and elsewhere because it is much easier for a more local operation to verify rides than trying to do it all from here in the US. Canadian ride do not generally present that problem.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Well given that Canadian rides seem to take much longer to review and certify, I'd happily volunteer a couple of hours a week to help review and certify Canadian rides when I'm able.

I'm in Calgary. Planning on doing my first IB ride this summer. I'm thinking of doing a ride to Balgonie, SK and back for my SS1600..Not overly scenic, but would get the mileage in...

RickRussell

Premier Member
I'm in Calgary. Planning on doing my first IB ride this summer. I'm thinking of doing a ride to Balgonie, SK and back for my SS1600..Not overly scenic, but would get the mileage in...
Balgonie isn't far enough... best get to Qu'Appelle or Indian Head. Do use the new bypass around Regina, it will make your life a lot easier. What bike are you riding?

From my first gas stop, I clock in at something like 814kms one way... I am riding a victory cross country. I will look into extending the route as you suggest

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
From my first gas stop, I clock in at something like 814kms one way... I am riding a victory cross country. I will look into extending the route as you suggest
Generally speaking, the IBA would like to see a 5% buffer in distance for cert rides, just to insure you don't come up short when it is verified.

You could also run back up through Saskatoon over to Edmonton and then down to Calgary. Three of us in Sept last year did that leaving Moose Jaw and the total distance was about 1700km. Still waiting to be certified but that's another issue ;)

I'll check out this route as well, might be a little more scenic.
Has it really taken this long to get certified? Oh boy...sounds like we need some Canadian certifiers
Did you also apply for the 1k in a Day patch as well? They mostly do their stuff through social media, but it's a nice little patch to add alongside of the IBA one you'll hopefully eventually receive

I'll check out this route as well, might be a little more scenic.
Has it really taken this long to get certified? Oh boy...sounds like we need some Canadian certifiers
Did you also apply for the 1k in a Day patch as well? They mostly do their stuff through social media, but it's a nice little patch to add alongside of the IBA one you'll hopefully eventually receive
Yes I applied the start of Oct 20 for a ride we did on the Sept 20 long weekend. It was the 1600km ride. I don't know why it's still not certified but I can only guess they are behind and Canadian rides seem to take a back seat to ones completed in the US.
I looked at my application today and the ride is almost 1800km when going from Calgary to Moose Jaw, up to Saskatoon and over to Edmonton and back down to Calgary. We obviously started in Moose Jaw. Took us just over 17hrs to complete including fuel stops. Good luck to you, it was fun to do and an achievement.

17hrs for 1800kms is a pretty decent time! I'm hoping to do mine in about that amount of time as well. I'll map out this route, looks like it might be a good one

17hrs for 1800kms is a pretty decent time! I'm hoping to do mine in about that amount of time as well. I'll map out this route, looks like it might be a good one
It certainly worked for us, fuel stops were Moose Jaw (first photo), Saskatoon, Lloydminster, Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, Medicine Hat, Swift Current and then Moose Jaw for the final photo. The only issue for traffic was north of Red Deer when the highway was down to a single lane crossing a bridge that was being worked on. The entire route is dual lane and you can make some solid mileage without speeding (other than the standard +10kph)

Just got an e-mail today that the ride was certified. Came in at 1'712km so should be very close to that depending on where you live in Calgary if that's the route you decide to ride.

That's the one I'm gonna do I believe! Sometime in Aug is when I'm aiming for
Well good luck with it. You might consider going up to Edmonton first as I was surprised by the amount of traffic coming down from Edmonton to Calgary. Early in the morning you may avoid a lot of it and then you'll be on Hwy 1 west bound for the last leg of your journey. Let me know when you'll do the run and I'll meet you for a quick hand shake when you get gas.