IBA European family

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
The IBA is a sort of extended family as far as I'm concerned. I haven't had a lot to do with IBA members from North America or Australia so my definition of "the IBA" runs from Ireland in the West to Finland and Russia in the east, from Portugal in the south to Sweden in the north. If you're an IBA member in that area, active or otherwise, you're part of my family, even if you don't consider me part of yours.

My natural extended family includes people who don't consider me part of the family as well. I don't care, which is to say that I do care but there's nothing I can do about it, you can't always get what you want. I have one particular uncle who's managed to fall out with just about every one of his relatives including his own children.

Today I learned of a serious falling-out in my IBA family. I don't know the details and I won't name names but it made me think. This is the third serious falling-out during my time as an IBA participant but I've also been aware of many lesser instances of people choosing not to support certain events or projects because of who's involved and sometimes the "who's involved" is me. No-one ever says that but I'm quite old now and can work stuff out for myself. It would be better all round if anyone having a problem with me would just say so, a simple pm will do the trick. If the someone isn't me, pm whoever it is and sort it out,don't let it fester.

IBA relationships are precious. We are a small group but there are many ways in which we differ: some are wealthy, some not; some Brexiters, some Remainers; some Tories, some Corbynistas; truck drivers, accountants, computer whizzes; Triumphs, BMWs, proper bikes; some have English as their first language, others not; There is exactly one thing we have in common: we like long-distance motorcycling. Most of the world thinks that people who ride motorcycles are either barking mad, or hooligans. Most of those who ride motorcycles think that we are barking mad, or hooligans. We are a small group and, in my mind at least, a family.

What good families do is support one another, overlook shortcomings and tolerate differences; best practice demands open and honest dealings with one another. I'd like to think that I have behaved well towards other IBAers, if I haven't it then that wasn't my intention. PM me and we'll sort it out like adults.
Bear in mind when you're reading this that I regard most of you barking mad and/or hooligans. If you disagree with that view, I won't argue about it although I will explain why you're wrong.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Well, the title is 'European Family' if it was you it would read 'UK Family' maybe it's a coy.
Anyway, apparently, you don't 'Value' everyone Dave! :rolleyes::D

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've said my piece chaps and I'm not about to expand on it other than to point out that "European" is short for "no further west then Ireland, no further south than Portugal, no further North than Sweden and no further East than Russia". The less geographically-challenged among you will realise that the island of Great Britain falls firmly inside that range.