IBA Mile Eater Program - Feed Your Passion!

Gas Guy, BigDaddy

You don't need Silver to progress within the Mile Eater Program

Bronze, Gold, Platinum, Titanium etc can be attained over the years so you can go from Bronze to Gold and up.

Silver is rides within a 12 month period.
As you can see I opted to start my Silver rides January 1st to December 31st which then lets me see my year ride list.
it happen that my Gold happened within the Year.
Silver can also be 5 rides in 12 consecutive months with 2 being extreme, Gold or longer than 2 days in duration.

The Iron Butt Association Mile Eater Program acknowledges members who complete multiple certified rides. Earn your place at the table and join some of the world's hungriest long-distance riders. Eat those miles one certified ride at a time and be sure not to bite off more than your Iron Butt can handle.

Mile Eater "Plates" - Wet your appetite with these different Mile Eater levels. Each one more difficult than the last and clearly designating the hungrier hard core riders. Take a look at your current IBA certification resume', as you may already qualify for one or more levels.
  1. Mile Eater: Two or more certified rides gets you in the Program. Be sure to visit the IBA eStore and pick up Mile Eater T-shirts, pins and other cool swag.
  2. BRONZE: Bronze status is earned by completing at least FIVE certified rides, of which 2 must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration without a time limitation (you can earn Bronze status over several years).
  3. SILVER: Silver status is earned by completing at least FIVE certified rides, of which 2 must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration, in ONE YEAR OR one certified ride per month during a one year period (12 rides in 12 months - one per month)
  4. GOLD: GOLD status is earned by completing at least TWENTY certified rides, of which FIVE must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration without a time limitation (you can earn GOLD status over several years).
  5. Platinum: PLATINUM status is earned by completing at least FORTY certified rides, of which TEN must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration without a time limitation (you can earn PLATINUM status over several years).
  6. Titanium: TITANIUM status is earned by completing at least SIXTY certified rides, of which FIFTEEN must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration without a time limitation (you can earn TITANIUM status over several years).
  7. DIAMOND: DIAMOND status is earned by completing at least ONE HUNDRED certified rides, of which TWENTY-FIVE must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration without a time limitation (you can earn DIAMOND status over several years).
  8. BLACK:BLACK status is earned by completing at least TWO HUNDRED certified rides, of which ONE HUNDRED must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration without a time limitation (you can earn BLACK status over several years).
See the IBA Mile Eater Program web page for complete details and application instructions.
Tim - Since you started this post, could you verify that a member can bypass the SILVER Mile Eater status and go right to Gold ?
And if this is in fact correct, it should be clarified on the Mile Eater page. I have read it carefully in the past looking for this exact information and could find nothing.
Pretty sure that many members thought the same as I did about the Silver status needing to be accomplished first.
Thanks.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
That's the way I read it, I thought I could get my bronze and skip the silver and work towards gold, since the silver has to be done in a yr, why would I do that when I can just pick at it slowly and get gold.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Tim - Since you started this post, could you verify that a member can bypass the SILVER Mile Eater status and go right to Gold ?
And if this is in fact correct, it should be clarified on the Mile Eater page. I have read it carefully in the past looking for this exact information and could find nothing.
Pretty sure that many members thought the same as I did about the Silver status needing to be accomplished first.
Thanks.
Yes, it's a bit confusing. As has been pointed out, the Silver is a different animal than the other medals because there is a one-year time limit on it. The others are lifetime awards. So it is, in fact, possible to obtain a Gold (or any of the other medals) without obtaining the Silver.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Yes, it's a bit confusing. As has been pointed out, the Silver is a different animal than the other medals because there is a one-year time limit on it. The others are lifetime awards. So it is, in fact, possible to obtain a Gold (or any of the other medals) without obtaining the Silver.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Excellent. Thanks Ira.

Bellen

Premier Member
...and I just entered the Mile Eater Program! 3 rides done!
According to the rules, it doesn't look like the Butt Lite would help me in my Mile Eater ways, but I do have that coming up :)

...and I just entered the Mile Eater Program! 3 rides done!
According to the rules, it doesn't look like the Butt Lite would help me in my Mile Eater ways, but I do have that coming up :)
You might be able to do a SS1000, or BBG, on the way to the rally and another one on the way home.

I did that in 2012 to an IBA Pizza Party in Jacksonville, FL. BBG on the way to Florida, IBA Florida Mountain 1000 while there, another BBG on the way back to Michigan.

gramps

Last edited:

JimBurriss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I did what Gramps said in 2014. I rode a SS1k to and from BL VII. fairly straightforward rides.

You can also, I believe, get a SS6K if you ride the required miles (6000 plus) during the rally. Not sure exactly how to document that other than TS will record your beginning and ending mileage as part of their records. You would also have excellent starting and ending witnesses.

For me it will be 1500+ miles to Denver, so I am considering a BBG each way. Get there a day early and use that to rest and visit with folks.

If I am incorrect, someone with more knowledge will correct me.

Bellen

Premier Member
1270 miles for me to Denver. I'm not an animal like you guys doing BBG's on either side of a 7 day rally. I'm gonna travel 50 miles a day until I arrive at the the start. I wanna arrive relaxed. Bored spitless but relaxed! :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Hello Ira,
I am curious. Please clarify, are you are saying that rides once matriculated to Bronze, Gold, Platinum, etc. don't reset the tally? So, for example the 20 (5x+15) rides for a Gold Level INCLUDE the rides earned for Bronze and/or Silver? So a rider would not need to chalk-up 22 (including Bronze) or 27 (Silver, without including Bronze) or 29 (Bronze and Silver included) cumulative rides to reach Gold? But, instead each milestone level could be achieved including all rides made in total, e.g., Bronze contributes to Gold, and Gold contributes to Platinum. Or, does a rider choose the target level they would like to acheive and then make a claim to a particular level?
The answer may seem obvious to you, but I would still like you to weigh in so I know for certain the expectations of the program. Thanks,
Chelsea

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congratulations Peter Well done on all of the rides, an impressive list. :)

Like the new format of the certificate as well....

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I had that concern when I did my BBG a few years ago. I planned my route as a double out-and-back. <...> It was quite the security blanket, and I didn't have to spend money on a hotel.
I've got a variant of a route like that for a 1530 mile ride. Unlike yours, It's set up so that I'm (only) at the half-way point. I like your idea - 500 out-and-back, then another 250 out-and back in the other direction.

I did a SS1000 with home at the half-way point; weird being on a ride, blowing by your home exits, and knowing there's still 8+ hours to ride to get back to the same location - home.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Still trying to keep positive about the Mile Eater Program, but things seem to be slowing down.

I was under the impression a team was being organised to help/look after the program.