IBA Scandinavian Rally 2016 17-19/6

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
A very long day indeed!
The organizers got to eat their lunch at 22.00...

Yes, there where riders who got lost on the odo check route.
Yes, there where riders who arrived with brand new navis in posh boxes.

No, no one has yet dropped their bike in the parking lot.
Let's see what tomorrow brings...

Rally starts at 07:45

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
06:30
First bike has lined up. 1 hour 15 minutes before start.

(Riders was informed during the riders meeting that there will be a 30 seconds delay between starts. This means that this early bird just has catched a 7,5 minute worm, compared to his least competetive partner on the grid)

...and no, it is not Mr Koeber at the front.

Yet.

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
So, not a joint Spotwalla-page, but at least the links posted above brought together in one post to make them easier to monitor.
N.B! One or two new ones as well!

Daniel: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=112ff5761af3ee1be7

Dave: https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=10f9a574f0cf790120&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

Jörgen: https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=11332576299d626721&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no
There is something causing Jörgens Spotwalla to show his whereabouts with a delay.
Once connected, it will present his ride just fine

Dan: https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=11269575edf54f17ed&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no
Same goes for Dan: his Spotwalla is also slow on showing his whereabouts.
Once connected, it will present his ride just fine

Phil: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=113045761c5783d2f4

Rainer: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1121f575d6e2346c15

Kenneth: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=113435762cfaf3fd4a

Petri: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=112d55760e4563e801

John: https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=112a55760191d15ba2&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

Robert: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=112bd576073ca90915

Robert also comments on the rally in his blog https://hutzlmandl.wordpress.com/2016/06/17/ready-for-the-scandinavian-rally-2016/
and has posted this picture showing some of the bonus locations for the rally:

"Squirrel rally" ...? :confused::eek::rolleyes::D:D:D

Yes, maybe, maybe. Outside of Roberts print screen there are bonus locations further north, actually all the way up to Luleå - and yes, there are participants on their way up there now.

So, as always - there are many rallies to be found within the rally, and routes as well.
As of yet, not two riders seem to have choosen the same track.
Let's see how the cookie crumbles,,,

Last edited:

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
Update at 1/3 of the rally:

One swedish rider called in and reported himself DNF.
Reason at this stage not clear, but no accident behind the decision - as we understand it.
Update will follow.

Phil Weston has chosen the scenic route through Småland, and surprised us by approaching the bonus point "Bolmsö kyrka" from behind - via the ferry option, and is actually taking the same ferry back again.
Yes, the same ferry - as the crossing is operated by one ferry only.
Bold move, but indeed an idyllic trip through a beautiful part of Sweden.
But there's more to see, Phil!

Robert has just proven that the reason for launching a "congestion toll" for the Gothenburg area does not apply to foreign registered motorcycles - he has just preformed an in/out operation that makes Swedens second largest city look like some kind of rural area.
...which it is, compared to Stockholm.

One rally flag reported gone astray - so it's business as usual.

The very heavy rain from this morning has moved on, so everyone seems to be riding under a clear sky right now.

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
Half way through the rally, and we are sitting riveted to our screens.
Mind you, they are all riding the same rally.

Time to reveal one important rule of the 2016-years IBA Scandinavian Rally:
They are all riding under a very harsh roof!

When a rider exceeds a certain amount corrected kilometers travelled, they start to lose points.
But not in "points", but rather more as a factor deducted from the total amount of points achived.

Less than 1699 km -0%
1700 - 1750 km -10%
1751 - 1799 km -20%
1800 - 1899 km -30%
1900 - 1999 km -50%
Over 2000 km -100%

So, this is a rally where you can overshoot anything you hoped for, and methodically work yourself in to a DNF position...
All riders has been presented with a odometer correction factor that is unique to their bike, established through the 60 km long odo check that was ridden yesterday.

Now you all have a clearer view of why there is multitude of bonus locations available.
There IS a route here somewhere, that is smarter, leaner on kilometers and richer on points than all the others.
It's just about finding it.
...and riding it.
The ambitious rider has to constantly monitor both shortest and quickest option for his next bonus location, and make the call:
is the shorter distance worth the extra time? Is riding the comfy road worth the extra distance?
I'd say there is a immense amount of decisions to be made in this rally.
Straining, for the one's that aim for the podium.
Still very challenging for any participant that is hoping for a mere finish-level.

Actually, there a a few riders were we already have our concerns on how they are going to make it back to the start.
In time.
...and with points enough.

Last edited:

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
This thread has been pretty useless, huh...?

Relaxed and laughing at arrival. Look! No rain.

Riders meeting

"Caged riders"?

We actually hired a trailer full of fences to be able to create a "Parc Fermé" for the bikes.

"For the bikes" - and for a good nights rest, rider wise.
One of the non-swedes kind of questioned the arrangement;
"I've been parking my bike all over Europe for years without problems"

We are sure you have. Thing is that Södertälje isn't really Europe anymore.
These two chinese tourists...

...was not aware of this and left their luggage unattended for a few minutes at breakfast.
BOOM! Nicked.
Daniel did actually witness the theft and did his part in leaving the discription to the front desk, 5 minutes before the start. Now that's quality...

Fortunally, the Rallystaff carries all the necessary equipment to bring any distracted rider back to focus.

Petri was the early bird, eager to get going:

Eläköön Suomi!!!

Last edited:

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
More riders filling in.

De! Ter! Mined!

Capturing the odo reading just the before the start allows us to gather some additional information, such as:
outside temperature:

Traction control mode on bikes so equipped - rain, rain and rain
along with rider mood:

Rock n' roll you guys!
The light, white night of Scandinavia is moving in.
Make the best of it!

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
Still riders out there who might face problems making it back in time, or will have to abort their bonus hunting with insufficient amount of points gathered.
Let's hope these riders are aware of the situation and settles it.

One rider called in and reported having a defective camera. Water taking it's toll...?
He was granted permission to record the following location with the camera of his mobile phone, and we hope to be able to still read the earlier captured pictures of his SD-card.

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
Time is out for sending in the SMS-bonus.

...but that does not matter much. All remaining participants has sent in their SMS-bonus within the time frame.
Impressive!

We are now 2/3 in to the rally, and all riders that we can monitor are heading back to base.
Still concerned on how some riders are going to make it back...

One score sheet reported lost. Rider states having all data saved in a safe fashion, and he will be handed a new score sheet on arrival, hopefully being able to recontruct his stops and bonuses to claim.

Mc Donald's Mariestad seems to be the waterhole for the moment. Two riders happened to meet there, comparing their route of choice so far.

Anyone who have guessed the theme of the rally yet?

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
As mentioned earlier, one rider DNF:ed during the first couple of hours already.

All other riders has returned to base before cut-off, and all of these have reached finisher status.

Three riders was called up on stage as being the highest ranked finishers:

Robert Koeber
Daniel Duvskog
Petri Myntti

...but this was based on their PPK-result alone: the density of points over the distance ridden.

Petri was handed a "PPK Recogition Award" for his very smart and effective route, a prize that was not previously announced.

The three riders sat down again, and the list with total amount of points was presented:

Will be updated...

John Young

Triumph Triple expert.
Congratulations to all of the riders but also to the organisers (Hampe and Benny I assume ?)

It looks as though you put a real good rally together

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Yes, applauses from me as well, Hampe and Benny succeeded indeed making rally more enjoyable, limiting "winning by most km's only" and transforming rally idea to choosing right mix of bonuspoints - not definitely this time most valuable and/or furthest away - and route fitting to km limits. Also I loved those swedish small countryside roads mixed with sudden shortcut with wet gravel through forests. Although I suspect I should give some recognition to my Garmin too....

Btw. I didn't knew swedes also breed camels. Until rode through local camel farm :)

AyrtonO

Premier Member
As seen in pic - HMPK - HaMPeKlubben )
This thread has been pretty useless, huh...?

Relaxed and laughing at arrival. Look! No rain.

Riders meeting

"Caged riders"?

We actually hired a trailer full of fences to be able to create a "Parc Fermé" for the bikes.

"For the bikes" - and for a good nights rest, rider wise.
One of the non-swedes kind of questioned the arrangement;
"I've been parking my bike all over Europe for years without problems"

We are sure you have. Thing is that Södertälje isn't really Europe anymore.
These two chinese tourists...

...was not aware of this and left their luggage unattended for a few minutes at breakfast.
BOOM! Nicked.
Daniel did actually witness the theft and did his part in leaving the discription to the front desk, 5 minutes before the start. Now that's quality...

Fortunally, the Rallystaff carries all the necessary equipment to bring any distracted rider back to focus.

Petri was the early bird, eager to get going:

Eläköön Suomi!!!

Kennek

Thanks to all of you attending and organising this awesome event
I am safe and sound back on the lovely island of Gotland in the baltic sea.
Though i am deadtired i still want more!
Next time, whenever that will be, i promise to be more prepared. It wasnt optimal to get on a, for me, new not rallyprepared bike.
Congratulations to you all and especially the top three and Benny&Hampe!

IBA Sweden

IBA Sweden
Staff member
Thank you all for the kind words!

Trust that no one has taken offence that we published the top three only on our way home yesterday?
Anyway, here is the complete list - PPK-listed as well:

There is still much more here to show, discuss and highlight, but it is indeed amazing that the top three riders also happened to be the top three riders PPK-wise!
No, not "happened".
Riding under the kilometer bar, and with a flurry of bonus points possibly avilable calls for much more than just "happened".
These guys got to the top via a plan, a route and a lot of mental arithmetic along the way.

Also, please note that Jens-Olof Lindh, on his very first rally, managed to keep other, more experienced riders behind him.
Actually, he is in a tie with number 4 - but was deemed fifth place based on his lower PPK-result. Still, an impressive start!

Important clarification:
5 riders qualified for SS 1000 with a total distance ridden that exceeded 1000 miles.
This will be recognized in the rally certificates that will be sent out, but no pins or patches will accompany this acknowledgement, as customary in rallies.
If any rider wishes to have his SS 1000 transcribed into a SS 1600K, just drop us a mail over events{aatt}ironbutt.se and we will be happy to arrange this.
Standard patches and pins to go with the SS 100 / SS 1600K can be ordered separately. If interested, please submit this order soonest possible, so that we can consolidate the items that are to be sent by post.

Please also note that the category "finisher" in a rally arranged by IBA counts as a completed ride in the Mile Eater Programme, even if less than 1000 miles has been ridden

Hampe & Benny

Rallymasters IBA Scandinavian Rally 2016

Last edited by a moderator: