IBR Historical Data

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So there are some great lists of who, what bike, home town, points, age, etc of past entrants of the IBR.
These lists also give rank or DNF but is there any data about DNF specifics? I can guess that many of the BMW DNFs where final drive explosions but even if it was bike or mind failure would be interesting?
Also pretty shocking as to the number of rookies who win and also to the percentage of DNFs overall.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There are no lists of these things. You can learn many of the failure reasons by reading the past IBR reports. Some things will never be known except by the riders and people that were there at the time. That's ok too. Start riding rallies and you will learn amazing things and share stories with many riders that will never be published anywhere.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Didn't this discussion come up not long ago on the LDRider mailing list? I don't think the BMW drive failure, catastrophic as they are, were as big of a percentage as "I'm done!" and the rider withdrawing from an event - for whatever reason it might be.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have never seen the list and agree it would be interesting. I was surprised as well at how well rookies did but I think a lot of that has to do with the caliber of people who enter the IBR with the intention of winning.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
There is no 'list' of DNF reasons - publicly published - that anyone is aware of. As I recall, the discussion happened in the wave of discussion after IBR '17 on LDRider mailing list. A list might be able to be assembled, predominately based on the IBR reports from past events.

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have read through most of the common reports and it seems DNFs are 50% bike 50% brain hurt. I am curious about the bike failure thing mainly. Were they basic bike maintenance failures, high mileage failures, ridiculous farkle failure,road hazard failures, etc ...... the rookie thing was interesting but I was reminded that the term here means rookie in the IBR. They could have habitual minor rally riders for decades then got into the big show.
The hard part is tracking down all the "blogs" from various past riders then extracting " hey I would never do <insert odd rally behaviour or decision> again in a rally even if you paid me " data.

Rusjel

Premier Member
I'm reassured by the numbers of riders who self select out. We are willing to push ourselves, but generally seem to know when enough is enough.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have read through most of the common reports and it seems DNFs are 50% bike 50% brain hurt. I am curious about the bike failure thing mainly. Were they basic bike maintenance failures, high mileage failures, ridiculous farkle failure,road hazard failures, etc ...... the rookie thing was interesting but I was reminded that the term here means rookie in the IBR. They could have habitual minor rally riders for decades then got into the big show.
The hard part is tracking down all the "blogs" from various past riders then extracting " hey I would never do <insert odd rally behaviour or decision> again in a rally even if you paid me " data.
The non mechanical DNFs ranged from riders just not having their head in the game (personal issues were distracting them) to health related to simply running out of time and not able to get back to the checkpoint in time.

Very few are basic maintenance failures. In fact I am not aware of any. In 2017 some were final drive failures, some are actually accidents where the bike is not rideable, one was due to a rider striking something on the road and it destroyed the radiator.

Not sure if you saw my ride report, but I essentially had a new engine and associated parts for the 2017 IBR and I still had a charging system failure on leg 3 that required my replacing my entire charging system on the road. I initially thought it was the stator that failed (new in March 2017) but after doing some testing I suspect it was a stupid $3 circuit breaker. Would that be considered a maintenance issue? I can tell you that if I have one in my bike for the next time it will either be new or I will have a spare with me :)

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
So there are some great lists of who, what bike, home town, points, age, etc of past entrants of the IBR.
These lists also give rank or DNF but is there any data about DNF specifics? I can guess that many of the BMW DNFs where final drive explosions but even if it was bike or mind failure would be interesting?
Also pretty shocking as to the number of rookies who win and also to the percentage of DNFs overall.
Such specific detail would indeed be interesting, as well as instructive for future IBR riders, vets & rookies alike. Another DNF "reason" in the more recent IBRs was not meeting a minimum requirement for finishing (points, states, parks, as examples) even though arriving before closing at all checkpoints & the finish. I may gather the DNF details as a future project.

As noted by others, good source material for individuals' DNF reasons is the daily reports, available on the IBA website for 2013 & later (dailies from earlier IBRs are not currently available there, but some fans have preserved copies, independently). Bob Higdon's historical series in the IBA magazine is another valuable source for IBRs from 1984 onward.

The figures related to DNFs are scattered throughout the IBR Facts page. You'll notice that in total for all years, the DNF percentage is essentially identical for vets & rookies, at about 23%. The breakdown of DNFs by IBR year varies considerably, likely due to the differing characteristics of the rallies (IBR summary here).
Other direct links to DNF figures within the IBR Facts page are ...
By motorcycle manufacturer
By rider age grouping
By gender (solo male, solo female, 2-up, 3-up)

Regards ... Dave