IBR tracking devices

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Interesting that Bubbler GPS is not compliant. Is that because it simulates the tracking? Or is there a different specific reason.
I think it is because Bubbler is not satellite based and can have long periods of interruption. The IBA requires position reports every 10 minutes. There are still many places in the US that do not have cell phone coverage.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Agreed, it can have long periods of interruption - specifically in areas (Nat'l Parks/Forests are notorious for this...) with limited or no cell service.

The Pro version of Bubbler GPS *does* buffer these locations when there's no cell service. Once you've returned to civilization, your track points are uploaded at the next opportunity.

Sat tracking (SPOT, inReach, et. al.) doesn't have this limitation.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Agreed, it can have long periods of interruption - specifically in areas (Nat'l Parks/Forests are notorious for this...) with limited or no cell service.

The Pro version of Bubbler GPS *does* buffer these locations when there's no cell service. Once you've returned to civilization, your track points are uploaded at the next opportunity.

Sat tracking (SPOT, inReach, et. al.) doesn't have this limitation.
The IBA / IBR does not really like the buffering of locations as it could be more than 1 day you would be out of cell service if you was on your way to Alaska. ;)

Spot can loose signal as well. While satellite is not as susceptible as a cell based system, there are some areas in the West that can interrupt Spot tracking.
A friend and I were riding in Utah and he lost tracking through some canyon country. GPS went south as well. Good thing we had some maps!
And - a GPS can be "rigged" to indicate incredible top speeds.

That said I agree with kwthom...