Improving the poor fuel range of a KTM

XBRJo

Premier Member
Good and nice Work!
I know some of the Problems....
The connection to the OEM Tank is always an issue. Also the Air intake wit hout spilling if the Bike is falling down...
...and alowing free flow to the lower tank.
I solved the spilling problem with an intake tube inside to other side and a tight tank cap.
The 15 Liter Tank is a separate one within a topcase box with adapter to a Hepco and Becker topcaseholder. So I can change it from bike to bike.. I use a fuel line metal connector and a ground wire connector.
That works with the most bikes within the formerly IBA regulations ....
It is not street legal in Germany, but the tank is pressurized with certificate an could be TÜVed.. and legalized....

The metal work is perfectly done by :RMS Metalwork Würzburg Kist (D)

IMG_20140509_120301_922.jpg

Last edited:

XBRJo

Premier Member
Ok The Wight is in the back and:
putting some additional bottles of wine into the topcase forgetting this and driving a gravel road is not good for the hepco holder

thommo

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thought I'd update this thread.

The three tanks have had some miles and fuel put through them.

Overall, they've performed as we thought they would.

The only issue we had was the thread on the caps/filler neck galling, I've an idea why, but a solution was needed and preferably a non welding solution as one tank was on the other side of the country in a Covid locked down state. Getting it back to me was going to be problematic.

After lots of thought and searching high and low, I found a local 4x4 aftermarket accessories maker who made long range fuel tanks for 4x4's had a threaded steel insert that worked with a large range of 4x4 fuel caps that were available at any auto accessories store, larger fuel stations etc.

The insert was exactly the right size after some careful measuring and also the modification only required hand tools to do which was perfect for the tank that I couldn't easily get back, but getting a DYI kit to the owner was easy.

Cut the threaded portion of the filler neck off, clean the inside the filler neck and out epoxy the insert in. I machine and threaded an insert up, epoxied that into the new filler cap to retain the lanyard and job done.

Will I make anymore? I don't think anyone runs the 1190's much in IBA, but I would if asked. I achieved 700km twice over the weekend sans panniers.

Ed.

Premier Member
After slugging mine across the country and back (and catching up with that recalcitrant other bloke) , I'm still very impressed with mine, thanks Thommo! Even at 110-115 into the inevitable Nullarbor head wind with the cupboards attached and the big screen (and other mods from yours), I was getting a comfortable 550km (when I remembered to fill it...).The filler neck recall is an absolute winner and valuable learning for future tanks.

Best looking tanks this side of Mike Brooke!

Gate_sml.jpg Penong_sml.jpg ManjiRd_sml.jpg

Skidoo

Premier Member
Just came across the post by accident :eek:
Nice job and as usual very professional! They certainly make long distances less challenging.
I also had a couple of issues with the aluminium threat and occasionally use grease and no further issues for the last few years.