In NYS rides

Redwing56

Premier Member
Hello
I’m looking at the in New York State SS. I have a few questions.
1. There is a route listed. Does that route have to be followed or any 1000 mile route only in New York? Is the route shown available as a gpx?
2. There is no specific patch in the store but New York is not listed as one of the state’s without a patch? Is one available?

VP01

I've done this ride and in planning my travels shared some of your questions regarding route specifics. Ultimately, my final route selection was determined by a differential interpretation between the generic in-state rules (You may take any route you like - but remember you may not leave the State) and the specific, added DBR requirements for the unique Ride Around New York http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/nys/index.html (see below with DBR requirements emphasized)

"You must obtain DBR in the following jurisdictions and at least every 350 miles. The receipt MUST indicate the city, date and time. Check your receipts. Newburgh area; Champlain; Watertown; Liverpool/Syracuse area (for example if west bound Warner Service Plaza just west of Liverpool on Thruway is acceptable); Buffalo area (for example Angola Service Plaza just south of Buffalo on Thruway is acceptable); and Jamestown.
CAUTION: I-86/NY-17 near Waverly crosses into Pennsylvania, you must take NY-17-C or some other route to stay inside New York.
You must obtain the receipts in the order listed. Either order (clock or counter-clock) is fine but they must be in order, e.g. Champlain MUST come immediately before or after Watertown. You may take any route you like - but remember you may not leave New York state and the required DBRs must be acquired in order."

So, based on the differentiation between the generic in-state rules and the non-generic mandated DBR rules for the Ride Around New York, rightly or wrongly, I elected to follow the DBR route specifics listed in the Ride Around New York. I rode clockwise (Newburgh to Jamestown to Buffalo) and to avoid the Waverly, NY/South Waverly, PA accidental out-of-state crossover on Rt. 17, I went through Ithaca, NY, avoiding it all entirely.

I cannot speak to the availability of patches or any other in-state New York ride merchandise, but did receive a sweet all-in-state New York specific certificate with a color outline of NY state containing the state's logo--Excelsior!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It is my understanding that any ride completed completely within a state qualifies as an "In State" ride. But, there are also some specific routes for rides that are "Ride Around" or "Lap of" rides. LINK (scroll down to in state rides)

When doing one of the Ride Around or Lap of rides it's important to remember to specify that when you send in your documentation. If you do a "Ride Around Florida" you are following the borders of the state and meet required points along your route, in specific sequence. But you also have to submit your ride as a "Ride Around Florida" ride, or it will be treated as a normal "In State" FL ride. The verification teams don't know what you want unless you tell them.

Like so many other certs, you don't get both. Every Lap of is an In State, but not every In State is a Lap of ride. Pick what you want and be consistent with how you refer to it on your submissions to the IBA and you'll get the ride you wanted. :)

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Yes, two different rides are being confused here.

There is a difference between an in-state ride and a "Ride Around" a state. In the first case, you can select any route you wish as long as you stay within the state. In the second case. it is a ride more or less around the circumference of the state. That is the ride with documentation requirements from specific locations and in a specific order.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Redwing56

Premier Member
I believe the map I saw is the ride around the state. Is there a patch and stickers and such. Doesn’t seem all the patches are listed in the store

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I believe the map I saw is the ride around the state. Is there a patch and stickers and such. Doesn’t seem all the patches are listed in the store
Yes, that is the "Ride Around New York State", at

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/nys/index.html

Also read the general in-state ride rules, at

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/instate/index.html

Not sure if patches, etc. are available - it's a low-volume ride. If it's not listed in the eStore, it may not be available at this time.

Ira

So I'm planning an in NY State ride and now I know there is 2 different type of in state rides. My questions is what pins or patches would I receive or able to purchase for this? your website is kind of limited

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I don't think the eStore shows all of the in-state pins, but I believe we have them for all the states. Include a note in your submission indicating you want the ride recognized as an in-state ride and would like the NY-1000 pin instead of the standard SS1K pin.

Ira