In search of fuel range.

Traxx

Premier Member
I am currently on a Triumph Tiger Explorer XRX 1200. Love the bike, but not the fuel range (160 for the idiot light and 200 on fumes). I would like to have a 300+ range. So that means a new bike or aux tank. I get the Max milage for IBA purposes is 350 so anything past that is a bit much.
I have done a few google searches for a aux tank for the TEX but nothing is really coming up.
I would dig a Harley but the fuel range is short, so is the Trophy SE. BMW K1600 Grand America is very nice. BMW R1200RT is okay.
I am sure that some of you have suggestions. So fire away.
Thanks
Carl

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For a Harley it depends on which one and which year. I know several people riding 2015-2017 Ultras or Road Glides who get over 220 miles per tank.

For an aux tank, Boyd Welding will make a custom tank for you. You would need too design it and figure out how to mount it (before ordering to incorporate the proper mounts). Or use an off the shelf tank and come up with a mounting system.

As for range, that only applies to certificate rides. If you do a lot of touring having more fuel is not a bad idea. Same goes if you get into riding in rallies. Then the only limit is 11 gallons for the IBR and Butt Lite

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Late model BMW GS Adventure come with 8 gallon tanks. I can easily get 300-320 miles which is about as far as I can normally go without needing a stop. A much less expensive option will be an aux tank - plenty of options.

Traxx

Premier Member
Thanks cacomly and Scott.
The Road Glide is on the short list, well because it's a Harley and I love the look. Followed by the K1600 GT or Grand America then the R1200RT. I have a Adv bike now and would like to move over to the sport touring/touring side, heavy on the touring side. With the Harley Road Glide (6 Gal) I will need to plop a aux tank on it to meet the 300 mile limit. The K1600 (7Gal) will rock that stock. The R1200RT (6.6gal) I don't know. Then lets add the R1250RT in the mix, but we will need to see how she does.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Thanks cacomly and Scott.
The Road Glide is on the short list, well because it's a Harley and I love the look. Followed by the K1600 GT or Grand America then the R1200RT. I have a Adv bike now and would like to move over to the sport touring/touring side, heavy on the touring side. With the Harley Road Glide (6 Gal) I will need to plop a aux tank on it to meet the 300 mile limit. The K1600 (7Gal) will rock that stock. The R1200RT (6.6gal) I don't know. Then lets add the R1250RT in the mix, but we will need to see how she does.
Why not consider a Wing?

HACKLE

Traxx, I currently ride a 2016 Triumph Trophy. All I'll say about it is, the wife doesn't want the seat altered, it's perfect for her. All I've added is an AirHawk to my seat, perfect for 1600 kilometre day rides. Fuel economy with the 26 litre tank is right alongside my mates BMW R1200RT, good for 450 kilometre days. I generally fill at about the 400 kms. mark. I have removed the filler neck and cut off the plastic inner that causes a lot of blow back of the petrol when filling. Now nozzle in tank, pull the trigger on full and fill to the top of the tank, no problems. If there's a problem with the Trophy, it's that Triumph have stopped making them. They appear to be going down the Adventure bike route. But in USA at the moment dealers are getting rid of them for ridiculous prices. Generally a great bike with great weather protection. I saw there was a few in the last IBA Rally. Best of luck with your new bike purchase. Cheers from "down under".

Traxx

Premier Member
Traxx, I currently ride a 2016 Triumph Trophy. All I'll say about it is, the wife doesn't want the seat altered, it's perfect for her. All I've added is an AirHawk to my seat, perfect for 1600 kilometre day rides. Fuel economy with the 26 litre tank is right alongside my mates BMW R1200RT, good for 450 kilometre days. I generally fill at about the 400 kms. mark. I have removed the filler neck and cut off the plastic inner that causes a lot of blow back of the petrol when filling. Now nozzle in tank, pull the trigger on full and fill to the top of the tank, no problems. If there's a problem with the Trophy, it's that Triumph have stopped making them. They appear to be going down the Adventure bike route. But in USA at the moment dealers are getting rid of them for ridiculous prices. Generally a great bike with great weather protection. I saw there was a few in the last IBA Rally. Best of luck with your new bike purchase. Cheers from "down under".
I really like that triple sound. The Trophy SE is really discounted right now and will most likely be gone by the time I am ready to buy. I have only had the Tigger for 8 months so far. I tend to research for quite a while and buy when the current year closes out for the end of year discounts.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am currently on a Triumph Tiger Explorer XRX 1200. Love the bike, but not the fuel range (160 for the idiot light and 200 on fumes). I would like to have a 300+ range. So that means a new bike or aux tank. I get the Max milage for IBA purposes is 350 so anything past that is a bit much.
I have done a few google searches for a aux tank for the TEX but nothing is really coming up.
I would dig a Harley but the fuel range is short, so is the Trophy SE. BMW K1600 Grand America is very nice. BMW R1200RT is okay.
I am sure that some of you have suggestions. So fire away.
Thanks
Carl
If you like your motorcycle then the best option is to add a AUX tank. You only need like a 3 gallon AUX tank to get the range you are looking for. Boyd Welding in Florida has stock 3 gallon tanks that would work great and are very reasonably priced and their work is great.

Here is a photo of a tank they made for me.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
After watching a side by side comparison of the Wing and K1600, the Wing was on the side of the road out of gas. Had to siphon from the K bike to get to the next station. 2018 models I believe. Also the luggage capicity was less.
Yes, the 2018 is smaller with smaller capacities. If you're going to be a solo rider then I think it would be perfect. You can do a tail dragger fuel tank or one that sits over the passenger seat.

If you're 2-up (like me) most of the time than the 2017 and earlier is the only way to go.

A fellow member of the AZ Beemers just bought the Grand America and it's really nice, but when it comes to being able to farkle it for LD riding and Rallies I don't think you'll have as many options as the Wing to outfit it the way you want it.

Traxx

Premier Member
Greg, I like that. I have done several google searches looking for a TEX specific install but no luck so far. I guess my google-fu is weak.

Traxx

Premier Member
Yes, the 2018 is smaller with smaller capacities. If you're going to be a solo rider then I think it would be perfect. You can do a tail dragger fuel tank or one that sits over the passenger seat.

If you're 2-up (like me) most of the time than the 2017 and earlier is the only way to go.

A fellow member of the AZ Beemers just bought the Grand America and it's really nice, but when it comes to being able to farkle it for LD riding and Rallies I don't think you'll have as many options as the Wing to outfit it the way you want it.
As far as LD riding I am solo, but closer to home my little girls like to ride with me. I usually don't farkle unless it will directly affect my riding and comfort.

Still thinking on the aux tank, I need to look into the mounting and have it somewhat quickly removable for when the Baby Gurlzzzz are with me. I did see an article with a multistrada that had tanks in the panniers. I think he was doing a coast to coast ride.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
The typical tank on the Wing mounts to the passenger hand grips is fairly quick to remove using quick disconnect fuel lines. Or... if you went with a tail dragger tank you could ride 2-up and not even have to worry about it.

Traxx

Premier Member
To be honest, the dragger tank is just not something that I would do. I do kinda like the barrel tanks and they seem to be fairly common. Getting a custom tank made would be cool. I believe that I would like for that to take the place of my panniers keeping the weight low, balanced and closer to the center of the bike.

Traxx

Premier Member
Thanks KW, I did see that and even followed the link to see the original build. Very nice.
I have been wondering about a low milage LD bike just for touring.
Granted I am leaning to the barrel style, just need to get a mount for it.