Inconsistent Spot tracking - normal?

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I did a little test ride this weekend, with my Spot X set on 10 minute tracking intervals. However, there were times when it did not ping the satellite on schedule. The longest gap was about 90 minutes around Redding, CA as shown in the image below. Has anyone seen this before? Is this normal?

Here is the Spotwalla link if you're interested:

Spotwalla - KeithU 2020-06-13

20200613_Spotwalla.png

Jeff Earls

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I can't speak for the Spot X but historically the SPOT tracking mode only sends one message when it pings. If it does not get received because of tree coverage, terrain, or other conditions you are SOL. When you send an "OK" message, it sends three pings over 20 minutes to increase the chances of reception. I still use a Gen 1 SPOT, FWIW.

The gaps in your tracking on CA-96 and -299 look pretty normal to me. What I find surprising is how many pings you did get through Weitchpec and Hoopa.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
The weirdest thing to me is that the longest gap - 90 minutes - is through Redding, probably the most populated area I rode through besides Eugene.

Jeff: At what point do these gaps become a concern for you as a Rallymaster? I'm entered in Butt Lite this year and I want to make sure my solution works according to their standards. I know, I should really ask Team Strange about this. :)

Jeff Earls

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Tracking ping dropouts happen. Maybe there was a Sasquatch flying a signal-blocking ultralight above you through Redding that you never saw. Look up once in a while! :)

Otherwise yes, that would be a question for the fine folks at Team Strange. I have my metrics for this and your 90 minute dropout would not have bothered me based on position and time when finally pinged again but the BL is their rally and rules.

R

Roy Kjendal

Ninemmsig,
I've been thinking of getting a spot-x...let me know your thoughts ans wellas the result of your evaluation....

Thanks

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I chose the Spot X because I found one on sale just before elk season last Fall. For hunting I really liked the keyboard and messaging feature, because I spend an entire week out of cell range. In years past I usually made a daily trip to a mountaintop or some place with cell service to check-in with my wife. But with the Spot X I could do my daily check-in while sipping whiskey in camp.

For motorcycle use I think the messaging is less valuable, because on the bike I am out of cell range for minutes or hours, not days. If it weren't for hunting I think I would be fine with the standard Spot Gen 3 or a Garmin Inreach.

WY88

Premier Member
I rode down to Redding last week, SPOT worked correctly, but sometimes in the middle of Wa or Or, with ZERO hills / trees etc, it does what yours did.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I suspect one problem might be where I had the Spot mounted. The worst tracking seemed to be when I was riding due west (around Redding), or when riding due east through heavy tree and canyon coverage (Happy Camp to I-5). If the satellite was a little south, I imagine that my aux fuel tank might have obscured Spot's sky view. (See attached photo.) I think I'll move it back to my original handlebar position and see if that works better.

2020_0613_16064700_cropped.jpg