Insurance in the USA for UK riders

J.Young

Triumph Triple Engine mounting brackets expert
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Hello everyone.

First time I've ever posted on this page so I am hoping that someone can help.

Some of you may recall the "idiot Englishman" that brought an old 1969 Triumph Trident over to the USA in 2011 and rode in the IBR - well that was me.

In five weeks time, I was ("was" being the operative word) planning to ship my bike (the Trident) over again and ride up to Prudhoe Bay and then down through Canada, finally ending up at my friends in Carmel.

I say "was" because today, I have discovered that there no longer seems to be any insurance companies in the USA offering cover for non USA bikes.

Help !!!!!!

Anyone know any different ?

John

biquer

Premier Member
There's a lot of good info on Horizons Unlimited website. Some of the major players have withdrawn citing GDPR (data protection legislation) as the reason. There are people stuck in Canada currently that can't get insurance to enter the USA. I'm led to believe that there are some more obscure companies offering insurance at increased rates. Good luck.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I would not be surprised if GDPR and similar legislation were not part of the reason.

For those unaware, GDPR is a new European regulation that went into effect May 25th that has some strict requirements for security and includes heavy penalties for security issues for any company holding data on European citizens. The penalties are up to 4% of global revenue.

I really cannot say I blame them, however I'd think the compliance issues would still be there with any EU citizens residing in the US riding a US registered bike.