Interstate End To End Series

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I-E2E IBA White Logo.jpg
Just when you thought the 2020 ride planning was done... Inspired by Dave McQueeney’s iconic 40-40 Insanity, the IBA theme ride team has crafted the Interstate End to End (I-E2E) series.

Love them or hate them, we all ride on Interstates. IBA Certifications are now available for riding the entire length, end to end, of any United States Interstate over 1,000 miles. That is 7 east-west and 6 north-south interstates.

Of course the insanity does not end there, if you ride out, most of us have to ride back, so there is also the optional End 2 End 2 End craziness aka the I-E2E2E.

Certify each I-E2E and I-E2E2E at the "Basic" or "GOLD" level. Collect them for the Interstate End to End Special Awards Program (an entirely new level of insanity of its own).

Click on the link below for all the details.

http://ironbutt.com/themerides/interstate/ie2e.html

Last edited:
Question for the Staff ( @Ira ) on the Interstate Series i.e.
I-E2E Bronze: Three different I-E2E finishes of any level
I-E2E Silver: Six different I-E2E finishes of any level
I-E2E Gold: Nine different I-E2E finishes of any level
Three different, does this mean three different interstates or is an I-20 E2E East to West different that and I-20 West to East for purposes of the Bronze, Silver, Gold et....

Last edited:

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Question for the Staff (Ira?) on the Interstate Series i.e.
I-E2E Bronze: Three different I-E2E finishes of any level
I-E2E Silver: Six different I-E2E finishes of any level
I-E2E Gold: Nine different I-E2E finishes of any level
Three different, does this mean three different interstates or is an I-20 E2E East to West different that and I-20 West to East for purposes of the Bronze, Silver, Gold et....
Chris,

The "different I-E2E finishes of any level" means different Interstates. The basic I-E2E, I-E2E GOLD and I-E2E2E levels can be used only once per Interstate number for the Interstate Awards Program levels. The idea of the Interstate Awards Program is to recognize the number of different Interstates a rider has certified. Not, how many times they rode the same Interstate at different levels or directions.

Tim,
Thanks for the clarification. It was my assumption but each interstate is listed twice, once in each direction. I've got two and pending verification the third will allow me to get the BRONZE
Ride Safe! See you "on the road" to somewhere...

Chris,

The "different I-E2E finishes of any level" means different Interstates. The basic I-E2E, I-E2E GOLD and I-E2E2E levels can be used only once per Interstate number for the Interstate Awards Program levels. The idea of the Interstate Awards Program is to recognize the number of different Interstates a rider has certified. Not, how many times they rode the same Interstate at different levels or directions.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Tim,
<...>It was my assumption but each interstate is listed twice, once in each direction. <...>
I'm gonna go out on a limb for this (absolutely unofficial) response...based on a small sample of review soon after these rides were released by IBA Central.

As each direction was mapped out, those 'beginning' and 'ending' points could be different, depending on which end of the Interstate you're on *and* which direction you are headed.

What looks like a ramp might actually be the first 100 yards of an Interstate highway. Looks like the team was being thorough, as expected.

I have an I-40, I-20 an need to submit the I-10. BRONZE, All three so far are GOLD Level. So I ONLY (hahaha) need six more for Platinum which would mean I also had SILVER and GOLD.

And here's a real kicker.
The I-80 and I-90 both have a 48 hour GOLD level time with the I-90 being 177 miles long. Which BEGS THE QUESTION why is the I-80 NYC to San Francisco considered a 50cc "The Hard Way"? ... asking for a friend...

CB650F

Premier Member
Because San Diego to Jacksonville is a 50CC that is about 35 hours and 2300 miles. New York City to San Francisco is 45 hours and 3,000 miles. 45 hours on the road is cutting it real close when you are going through NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco. Any delay can really hurt, so adding 10 hours and 700 miles to a ride when you don't have to is doing it the hard way. Not that doing things the hard way is always bad. Sometimes, I like a good challenge too.

Because San Diego to Jacksonville is a 50CC that is about 35 hours and 2300 miles. New York City to San Francisco is 45 hours and 3,000 miles. 45 hours on the road is cutting it real close when you are going through NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco. Any delay can really hurt, so adding 10 hours and 700 miles to a ride when you don't have to is doing it the hard way. Not that doing things the hard way is always bad. Sometimes, I like a good challenge too.
Actually NYC to San Fran is "only" 2900 miles. And the I-80 is "basically" the 50cc the hard-way. But Boston to Seattle on I90 is 3080 miles and you still go through Chi town and Cleveland. 180 miles and a three hour difference... :)

CB650F

Premier Member
I don't get it. Using I-80 or I-90 for a 50CC makes it much harder than is required. That's why it's doing it the hard way. The 50CC has nothing to do with the Interstate End to End series. I'd also point out that 50CC via I-80 is basically the same time as I-80 E2E Gold, so it's basically a Gold level ride, which again would indicate that it's harder than normal.

This 50CC ride is significantly easier than this I-80 E2E even though they both qualify as a 50CC, if you add a few miles to the I-80 E2E so that you actually start and stop on the coast. 34 hours and 2363 miles vs 43 hours and 2899 miles. (At the time I posted. Google maps might change the time if road conditions change) The 43 hour ride is a 50CC done the hard way because it's much harder than the 34 hour ride.

New question. What are the coordinates of the San Francisco End to I-80. It say where I-80 becomes US-101. On Google Maps that appears to be at these coordinates: 37.766722, -122.405348 going west bound. Just asking for clarification.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
New question. What are the coordinates of the San Francisco End to I-80. It say where I-80 becomes US-101. On Google Maps that appears to be at these coordinates: 37.766722, -122.405348 going west bound. Just asking for clarification.
Are you planning on riding I-80 end to end? I did it with the MTF back in 2007 on the 50CC The Hard Way.

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Chris . . .
As shown in the IE2E table, the coordinates are 37.7665, -122.4053. This is confirmed in the following Google Maps image . . .
I80-US101.jpg
(In its zoomed-in satellite view, GM's circle identifies the point at which the two highways converge).
. . . Dave