Iron butt Iowa sign

Made it up there this past Thursday from Florida. Perfect timing weather-wise. Followed the trailing edge of the rain going in and again on the way out.

NE Florida; Boone, NC; IronButt Iowa sign; Atlanta, GA, then home. 2800 miles, 29 Sep - 01 Oct 2021. I had been riding a 2014 Triumph Trophy SE - this was my first lengthy trip on it's replacement, a 2021 GW Tour (non-DCT). What a great bike.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jim in FL

Premier Member
I made it this year on the way to the Hoka Hey.

I think my GPS doesn't like me - it routed me back around west of it through at least 3 miles of heavily crowned gravel roads, before dropping me 289862811_5257016897750066_5129312879697530841_n.jpg off on pavement right down the street from it. Then when I left it tried to do the same thing, but I just followed traffic until it settled down. Good thing the Hoka Hey is a "no GPS" event

Schpark

Premier Member
IBA Member
1658843444323.png

A little out of order but I visited the Iron Butt Iowa shrine on 7/3. Actually found a few curvy gravel roads in northeast Iowa and had a rooster pheasant take off next to me and he paralleled me for a bit.

IMG_6815.jpeg
42.5095 -93.9123888888889

As said, it's right off the road. I imagine they are accustomed to people stopping to take pictures by now.

As an aside, no one has seen Dennis Powell for several years. Anyone know how he's doing or if he has passed? Last time I checked, I couldn't find an obit. But he dropped off the map.
Saw Dennis today.. doing well .. invited us in to see the shop, a cold beverage and couples stories .. (yes I know this is a three year old question)

Crafty_rider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I *just* realized that I was less than five (5) miles from the sign during the IBR a couple of weeks ago...

Of course, it was late morning on Day 2 and as a rookie just trying to gain a coveted 3-digit IBA number, I don't know that I would have taken the time to stop and take a picture...

With my first IBR in the books, next time I go past, I will certainly take a picture...

Cheers!

RobG4

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I *just* realized that I was less than five (5) miles from the sign during the IBR a couple of weeks ago...

Of course, it was late morning on Day 2 and as a rookie just trying to gain a coveted 3-digit IBA number, I don't know that I would have taken the time to stop and take a picture...

With my first IBR in the books, next time I go past, I will certainly take a picture...

Cheers!
Kevin, Day 2 of Leg 2 I spent the night in Fort Dodge, Iowa (25 minutes from the sign), and like you passed within 5 miles on the way to my hotel. It was getting dark and I needed to start my rest bonus, so I didn't stop. That internal rookie IBR pressure to finish overruled my desire to stop for a picture, opting to get off the clock as quickly as I could and get ready for the next day. Next time though...