Island Butt 1600Km

The Island butt 1600km is short for the Vancouver Island BC Canada 1600km Saddlesore. All Kilometer were done without leaving the Island or the province of BC

My story started Sunday the 25th of September. With fall approaching, my insurance tag set to expire on Friday the 30th and still wanting to get one more IBA run under my belt, it needed to be soon. With a weather window of sunny skies opening up on Wednesday I figured it would be now or next year.

It’s Wednesday morning 1.53 AM in Nanaimo. My old 1993 ultra named “B” is full of gas, I got my tour pack loaded with my snacks and drinks for the day. Paper work is signed and start receipt is in my zip lock bag. It’s go time.

Heading south towards Victoria the sky is clear, the air is crisp but I’m well prepare for cooler weather. The 113 power plant is clacking away but running smooth and the thunder header exhaust system is moaning out his one note song (Were have I heard that before). I knew the next few hours till dawn would be the longest and most dangerous.

Once in Victoria I headed west toward Sooke. From there to Port Renfrew things got interesting as the road starts to wind and the night crawlers started to appear, the deer’s, raccoons, one owl and finally a fair size black bear in the glow of the head lite.

Turning north from Port Renfrew to Lake Cowichan, the road is rough, no painted lines, single lane bridges and sharp corners. What made this night time stretch even harder was the early morning parade of logging trucks and pickup coming they other way.

From Lake Cowichan it’s threw Nanaimo again on the way to Port Alberni. From there I headed to Ucluelet on another curvy small Island road. Got held up for 10 minutes both ways due to paving which was really not a big deal. Fueling up in Ucluelet it’s back down that same road till you get to Qualicum.

Finally, a good stretch of highway all the way up to Campbell River. From there headed west again along a small curvy island road till I reached Gold River. The sun is shinning and the scenery along the way is fabulous. Held up for paving yet again, I started running some numbers threw my head as we all do when the clock is running. Once in Gold River a quick fuel up. It’s another dead end road so it’s back to Campbell River.

Heading north from Campbell River, I needed to slip into Port Alice to get another 60km towards my total. In Port Alice the gas station is an Atco style trailer with the gas stored above ground in steel tanks. Again that little stretch of road had great views.

Making my way from there to Port Hardy I was getting a bit tired. The rough and winding roads, on/off the throttle, on/off the brakes on/off the clutch had beat me up all day and was taking its toll. Never the less I knew the ride from Port Hardy back down the Island to my final destination of Duncan would be fine. I pointed the front wheel south opened up on the throttle to finish the day with a time of 17 hours 50 minutes and a total travelled of 1629km. Along the way I stop for gas 13 times to establish turning point on my route.

The Island butt run was a lot harder than I had expect. Even if I had travel all does roads many of times over my 28 years living here, adding them all together for a one-day run was what I believe a true Iron Butt challenges.

Mike A

Clive Brown

Premier Member
Hi there Mike A..... Fellow Islander here. Don't believe there are many of us eh? Great to hear you did the Island 1600. Myself and a couple of other Victoria guys had this set up as an official "theme" ride
last year? and have done it a few times since. I mainly ride my RoadGlide for the LD rides but did it on my Husqvarna 350 a number of weeks ago. Let me know if your going to be in Sooke or Vic and maybe we will
do a ride to eat? Planning on Leaving Sooke tomorrow morning and heading over to Cowichan Lake via the logging roads then on to the Crow and Gate..... (On the Husky of course).

Just got a e-mail saying my certificated is in the mail and on it's way. Glad this one is over with, this was probably my hardest Iron Butt ride second to the BBG. Like you said Clive not many have accomplished this Vancouver Island 1600km run.

orestesdjc

Premier Member
Sounds like a great ride. I've completed 3 island rides so far, perhaps I should add this one to the list when I'm in North America later this year!

Just received my certification and was really impressed. The IBA actually recognized this ride with a logo of Vancouver Island in the header. So to all involved in the process thanks.

IBA.jpg

Mike A

Attachments