JOGLE

Sleekit Fkr

I have a JOGLE Gold route planned and was considering an early December attempt. What is the view of the more experienced iron butt bethren with regards to such an attempt at this time of year? Any advice appreciated.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Watch the weather forecast and pick a couple of days when there are no storms going through.
It can be cold at night now so heated grips and heated jacket are handy. If not take lots of layers. You will also likely ride in rain so have a strategy to stay dry. If you get cold at night in the morning stand in sun or heated room with layers removed to get the heat back into your core.
If you need to dont be afraid to knock it on the head. It's only a bike ride

Sleekit Fkr

Cheers Philip, no heated gear apart from grips but good with the layering so that'll help I'm sure. Decent rain suit that so far hasn't leaked despite prolonged m-way rain. Will see how the weather looks for the time I have off work and see how it looks.

Thanks.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Wot he said, make sure you have spare gloves/neck tubes to change when wet drink plenty of water and get a hot drink/snack when you stop for fuel.
Good luck.

Watch out for the deer on the a9 between Perth and Inverness they feed by the roadside at that time of year and quite often end up as road kill.
bambi on the handlebars will spoil your day

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
If you feel tired, don't be afraid to stop and lay down somewhere safe and close you eyes for a 15/20 mins nap.
You should have plenty of time to do this so long as you keep your fuel stops short, and don't keep stopping to admire the view or take pictures.

If you are planning your own route, don't forget to get a receipt if you change direction. For example if you are riding up the M6 and decide to go into the peak district and then back to the M6 to add extra mileage get a receipt at your your corner point in the peak district.

These long rides are more of a mental challenge than a physical challenge.(pain is something just in your head:):))

Good luck

Sleekit Fkr

Watch out for the deer on the a9 between Perth and Inverness they feed by the roadside at that time of year and quite often end up as road kill.
bambi on the handlebars will spoil your day
Only planning on using the A9 to get to the start point the day before. Route planned takes me through the "Great Glen" to Fort William so dark "o" clock deer encounters will hopefully be avoided. Cheers

Sleekit Fkr

If you feel tired, don't be afraid to stop and lay down somewhere safe and close you eyes for a 15/20 mins nap.
You should have plenty of time to do this so long as you keep your fuel stops short, and don't keep stopping to admire the view or take pictures.

If you are planning your own route, don't forget to get a receipt if you change direction. For example if you are riding up the M6 and decide to go into the peak district and then back to the M6 to add extra mileage get a receipt at your your corner point in the peak district.

These long rides are more of a mental challenge than a physical challenge.(pain is something just in your head:):))

Good luck
Thanks, as all hoping to stick to plan but will certainly keep receipts in mind should a detour be needed. Agree about the pain, funny how my arse was.numb in one spot for about 3 days the last time depicted what my mind told it!