Jorvik Rally 24th October 2020

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
So the Rally Team presumably are going to disallow ALL bonuses submitted from South Yorkshire then ?

Won't affect me, but I suspect other riders might like the clarification
We're not the government John and everyone playing are adults.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
1603405318127.png
Edit: above posted by El Presidente.

Which advice applies?

Remember Stay Safe, protect The NHS.

Last edited:
The advice only says not to travel into or out of a tier 3 area so .... I've now planned a route totally in S Yorkshire. Not too scenic but planning it was extra "interesting" (it's smaller than I thought!) and it will still be a challenge to complete my plan.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
The advice only says not to travel into or out of a tier 3 area so .... I've now planned a route totally in S Yorkshire. Not too scenic but planning it was extra "interesting" (it's smaller than I thought!) and it will still be a challenge to complete my plan.
Self imposed handicap by a responsible member of society. Good luck with your challenge and enjoy the ride.

I had a great day thanks. Definitely different at just over 100 miles and with longest distance between points about 5 miles but I've covered all sorts of roads - grass in the middle, 200 yards of edge to edge mud, traffic jam filtering. Not seen anybody except for petrol. Overall I think that's Covid-friendly.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
They're all fairly boring unless you have some sort of fetish about village signs. I got one named Harley though.
Thanks, never done a rally I'm now thinking I should have jumped in with this one. I was interested to see what the photo requirements were. Well done on the Harley signage you may have set a new bench mark, any idea where I'd find a village named Honda in Yorkshire or the UK?

bmbob

IBA Member
What a great way to spend a day. Where did that 8 hours go, I seemed to spend all my time hopping on or off my bike, and saw lots of places I've never been to before. Still managed a bacon sarny and mug of tea at Strawberry field cafe near York.
Many thanks to the Rally team for putting it on.
Ride safe
Regards Bob

Robert Higgs

I have to say it was great to finally get out on a rally in this COVID restricted year!

An up and own day for me - about halfway between Thirsk and Helmsley I was turned back by a police officer as the road was blocked on Sutton Bank by a serious RTA; so it was back to Thirsk and a lengthy detour via Byland Abbey and Ampleforth (lovely ride, though) which made a bit of a mess of my timings and dropped a few bonuses. Then my iPhone randomly deleted one of the bonus e-mails back to rally HQ (one of the iPhone's less endearing traits) and cost me some 850 points so, lesson learned there, always check the "sent" box carefully - I just had to take that one on the chin. And I finally scraped into the 8-hour time limit by eight minutes.....

Anyway, none of that detracted from a great day, a ride around Yorkshire is always good for the soul; even the rain that was forecast held off until the last hour or so which was a bonus.

And thank you to the rally team for your hard work organising the day.

Oh, and I quite by chance I discovered that Tom (rider no 108) had left his flag behind at Topcliffe (see image); hope you had a spare with you.....

All the best,

Rob

Attachments

Great weekend altogether, first IBA rally... Ended very wet, but very happy (thanks Rukka). Stayed overnight and travelled back south over high peak and past Jodrell Bank on the way back to Shropshire. Some great roads.

Hope the two IBA guys we met in Shiptonthorpe McDonalds got back OK. The night turned a bit crook for them, standing water everywhere.