Jury-rigging a solution to ankle rolling

My boots are comfortable and great for every day riding, and they're the only boots I have. Problem is on long trips at highway speed, I have a tendency to roll my right ankle reaching around the air cleaner on my bike. Extensions make my mini boards too floppy and too far out, and even if I could mount a highway bar (can't, too much crap in the way), where I would need to mount highway pegs, I wouldn't be able to reach.

The boots have no ankle support and finding boots/shoes of any kind to fit me is a nightmare (I have a EEE width foot, but my heel is normal width and I am a skinny guy, all boots made in wide widths tend to have to wide an ankle and a presumption that everyone who has a wide width foot is also grossly overweight).

So, I have decided to take some orthoplastic (can easily be ordered from Amazon) and make a support brace. This stuff is easy to use, just simmer some water, cut off what you need, set it in the water until it gets soft (5-10 minutes), then mold it to the shape you want and run it under cold water to set it. This stuff is normally used to make splints.

I just needed something stiff to go between my sock and boot to prevent me from rolling my ankle. Was simple, goes on the median side of the boot and under the foot. If I try to roll my ankle, it puts pressure on the boot rather than my ankle and basically makes the inside ankle area stiff where the boot won't bend to let me roll.

A quick and dirty solution with stuff laying around the house. It works and isn't uncomfortable. It won't be any kind of protection in a crash and it's not supportive, but that's fine, it's only job is to prevent me from rolling my ankle, which it does and without restricting my movement to walk around.

PXL_20210522_022230415.jpg PXL_20210522_022342760.jpg PXL_20210522_022337634.jpg PXL_20210522_022442950.jpg

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Good job on some trial and error thinking outside the box for a solution that helps you.

What air cleaner are you running on the Softail? Maybe something lower profile would help?

One option for a custom actual motorcycle boot that's taller and would fit you is Daytona. Made in Germany, not cheap, extremely good quality boots that are repairable and will last a long time. They will work with you to take measurements and build you a custom pair of boots in the style you want from their offerings. I know a few Daytona boot wearers and they swear by them. Frey Daytona

Closer to home is Wesco boots, which also makes custom boots to your measurement in many different styles. I've owned these myself in what they now call the "Boss" style. They are an engineer style boot and not a true moto boot with armor, so I don't know that it would help as much with the ankle rolling issue you have. But they offer many styles, some of which might appeal to you.

Danner also offers the Acadia boot in XXWide which they call a 4E, but they go from EE to 4E w/o the option for 3E, so it might be worth a phone call or emails to clarify sizing, or find a dealer near you that stocks that size so you can try it on. I've owned several pairs of Danner boots over the years and worn out a couple of pair with decades of use. Great quality and comfortable. Not a dedicated riding boot.

Red Wing is also an option. I wore them as my work boots in a machine shop for decades. Repairable, first rate quality, may styles to choose from. Not a dedicated riding boot, but perhaps a step up from what you're wearing now. They offer EE and H, H being their version of XWide.

Well, Red Wings were one of the few boots I could find that fit me right, but there's not a store around here that carries them, I have a trip in just under a week and a half and don't have time to wait for something to come in the mail.

As to the air cleaner, I am using the updated Screamin' Eagle kit for 1993-later Evos, which uses the same air filter as the early 88" Twin Cams (K&N pn# HD 0800).

There's not really a lower profile option unless I go with the old-style SE air cleaner for the 1992 and earlier Evos, but that one requires a manifold to connect the two head breathers to a single line. I don't like that one as it's not as sturdy as the updated style.

I've looked and there are no aftermarket air cleaners that are any lower in profile that are made for my ride. They don't even make a forward facing cone type for it, if you know what I am talking about.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well, Red Wings were one of the few boots I could find that fit me right, but there's not a store around here that carries them, I have a trip in just under a week and a half and don't have time to wait for something to come in the mail.

As to the air cleaner, I am using the updated Screamin' Eagle kit for 1993-later Evos, which uses the same air filter as the early 88" Twin Cams (K&N pn# HD 0800).

There's not really a lower profile option unless I go with the old-style SE air cleaner for the 1992 and earlier Evos, but that one requires a manifold to connect the two head breathers to a single line. I don't like that one as it's not as sturdy as the updated style.

I've looked and there are no aftermarket air cleaners that are any lower in profile that are made for my ride. They don't even make a forward facing cone type for it, if you know what I am talking about.
I'm familiar with the forward facing cone style and the others. I miss the old carb days sometimes with stuff like this. You had so many more choices for something like a Bendix or Keihin carb.

You already check out:
THE BARN
1481 WESTGATE PARKWAY STE 2
DOTHAN, AL 36303
334-794-6048

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>I've owned several pairs of Danner boots over the years and worn out a couple of pair with decades of use. Great quality and comfortable. Not a dedicated riding boot.<...>
Concur on Danner boots. Current pair is a tactical-style boot (a.k.a. cop boot) also not a dedicated riding boot. No, not a lot of ankle protection. I had a pair of Sidi briefly, but any kind of a wide foot makes 'em tough to get a good fit. I tried, but just a wee bit small. Comfy as hell on the bike, though.

Nice job @sardonicus87 ; clever fix. Hope it works out for you on your upcoming ride.

I'm familiar with the forward facing cone style and the others. I miss the old carb days sometimes with stuff like this. You had so many more choices for something like a Bendix or Keihin carb.

You already check out:
THE BARN
1481 WESTGATE PARKWAY STE 2
DOTHAN, AL 36303
334-794-6048
Yes, that's the only place that sells Red Wings around here, and they don't have my size (10 3E-4E) in stock in anything worth getting. I have noticed some Red Wings fit different than others too. The last pair I had was a pair of Irish Setters that were an excellent out-doors work boot, but not the best for riding.

Even then, "The Barn" is 90% cowboy boots and only 10% work boots. Which, is kind of odd considering there's no rodeo stuff around here. Even the farm boys don't wear cowboy boots, nor do they use horses for farm work.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well, the next closest place to Dothan is ~80 miles away. Still, that's an afternoon ride if you can find the time. Naturally, a call first to see what they have in stock. You deserve to get lucky every now and then!

THAT BOOT STORE
2509 E 15TH ST
PANAMA CITY, FL 32405
850-785-1132

Also within about 100 miles of Dothan:

RED WING STORE
800 CAPITAL CIRCLE SE
TALLAHASSEE, FL 32301-3821
850-999-1680

G & J OUTFITTERS
4724 HAMILTON RD - STE B
COLUMBUS, GA 31904
706-322-3080

RED WING STORE
340-A EASTDALE CIRCLE
MONTGOMERY, AL 36117-2112
334-272-4499

STONE'S
139 US HWY 319 S
MOULTRIE, GA 31768
229-985-1032

I can't find the time, unfortunately. I don't wake up until between noon and 1 in the afternoon, at which point I have to feed the dogs and do a few things before I can even leave the house. It's usually close to 1:00-2:00 when I can finally head out, and it takes FOREVER to actually get out of the city (people here can't drive worth a damn and are super slow), which doesn't leave me enough time to get some places before they close, or I barely have time to get there, but then puts me getting home way past dinner time.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When I worked graveyard shift I did things in the morning, then crashed until work. Everyone's schedule and needs are different though. I'd still spend the time to call and see if any of them had your size in stock and what they had. Might be worth a detour at the start of your trip, or losing some sleep, depending on what they had. 10 3E is pretty unusual though. Most of the stores probable stock the 3E and 4E stuff in 13-up sizes. I'm a 13E and that's hard enough to find.

When I worked graveyard shift I did things in the morning, then crashed until work. Everyone's schedule and needs are different though. I'd still spend the time to call and see if any of them had your size in stock and what they had. Might be worth a detour at the start of your trip, or losing some sleep, depending on what they had. 10 3E is pretty unusual though. Most of the stores probable stock the 3E and 4E stuff in 13-up sizes. I'm a 13E and that's hard enough to find.
Yep, usually most places don't even stock a wide width in any size below a 12.

Most of the time, I go to sleep at 4-5 am, and my sleep schedule is pretty intractable (delayed sleep-phase disorder). Either way, I can't be 1+ hours away 2 hours after my body screams "SLEEP NOW!" and make it back safely.

I mean for my SS1K, I am going to force myself up earlier (as difficult as that is) to try and be on the road by 11 am (setting an alarm for 10:00 with everything ready to go the night before).

But that's kind of the problem when you sleep from 4 or 5 am until noon or 1 in the afternoon... you can't hit anything when they open then go home and sleep, and when you wake up you have less than half the time others have to hit stuff before it closes. I can usually get 1 or 2 errands done per day before everything shuts down at 5 pm. The sleep schedule is off in just the right way to give no time to do anything or get much done. It's like the entire world (relative to your internal clock) operates on "banker's hours".

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Relative to LD riding, it's best to follow your normal sleep patterns as much as possible. SS1K is ~18 hours for most people at a reasonable pace with a normal lunch stop. When I worked grave, I would typically stay up 24 hours or more on Fridays if I wasn't working Sat. Just stay up and get things done, have a more or less normal Sat, then go back to week sleep pattern on Sun, going in to work Sun night. I was younger then and it's hard on the body.

In real terms, when your body/mind is at low ebb, you need to sleep. I sleep in 3 hour cycles, so if I get up at the end of a 3 hour cycle, I can function well, even w/o a full night's sleep. Get up at 4 hours, I'm wonky for a couple hours sometimes. The trick is understanding how long it takes you to drop into REM, then D-state and back into REM. Waking up during REM sleep is easy. Waking up in the middle of D state sleep is a bitch.

FWIW, I've had good results with both light therapy and Chronotherapy over the years when I was changing shifts and needed to adjust.

maxrider

Premier Member
Let me chime in on riding boots, I have a 4 E wide boot, and a size 15 to go with it, so I feel the pain :).

Came across this company and they have a good selection of sizes, and the model I really liked is the one without the bootlaces, this turn-the-knob and done system is by far the most convenient and fastest put on and remove system,BOA® Fit System.

I selected this model:NIB MEN'S BLAUER TACTICAL 8" CLASH LT BOOT FW018LT DUTY BOOTS 15 W BLACK

Blauer.com, look on eBay , I got mine for $79.