Just finished my first BBG!

Mark Owen

Premier Member
Henderson, NV to Dillon, MT and back.

1,571 miles in almost exactly 23 hours. Grueling. Advil is my friend. Other than that...peanut butter Clif bars, water, and butter rum Lifesavers.

And you want hardcore?

The guy that rode it with me? Stopped at my house. Slept for two hours. Got up and ate. And then got back on the bike and rode 300 miles home.

If you think you can ride, you need to meet this guy. 64 years old.

Mark Owen

Premier Member
Thanks. It was blast. Want to change a couple things on the bike for the next one, but about 90% of my setup worked perfectly! Very happy.

Jim Craig

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congrats. I finished mine last weekend. St. Louis to KC to Sioux Falls across the bottom of Minnesota, south to Cedar Rapids, across to Des Moines, to KC, back home. I was doing fairly well until I hit the last leg across Missouri. I had 4 hours to do a bit over 200 miles and I ended up just barely completing on time with 1516 miles in 23 hours and 54 minutes. I was showing all the classic signs of fatigue but I never closed my eyes. Felt better after I stopped and ate a salad at Wendys.

Used Brach's lemon hard candies to stay awake but they ended up cutting up my mouth. I'll try butter rum next time. I found that Aleve worked really well, better than Tylenol, two Aleve got me through the entire ride (can't believe how much my knees hurt). I used nuts/dried fruits - high protein, low bulk, and plenty of energy.

Last edited:

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Congrats. I finished mine last weekend. St. Louis to KC to Sioux Falls across the bottom of Minnesota, south to Cedar Rapids, across to Des Moines, to KC, back home. I was doing fairly well until I hit the last leg across Missouri. I had 4 hours to do a bit over 200 miles and I ended up just barely completing on time with 1516 miles in 23 hours and 54 minutes. I was showing all the classic signs of fatigue but I never closed my eyes. Felt better after I stopped and ate a salad at Wendys.

Used Brach's lemon hard candies to stay awake but they ended up cutting up my mouth. I'll try butter rum next time. I found that Aleve worked really well, better than Tylenol, two Aleve got me through the entire ride (can't believe how much my knees hurt). I used nuts/dried fruits - high protein, low bulk, and plenty of energy.
I keep a bag of Atomic Fireballs in my tank bag (used to buy from local candy shop; now purchase the 3lb tub through Amazon). Each one last approximately 20 miles at 70mph. (avoid rolling on your tongue and biting the hard shell. Just let it sit in your cheek - definitely helps keep me alert when riding through the night). :)

Tele

Premier Member
Congratulations Mark! A wonderful ride .... I've never packed lollies (I think you lads call them "candy") on a distance ride. I usually go for muesli bars and mixed nuts for snacks and some iced-coffee flavoured milk for an energy boost. :)

Ed.

Premier Member
Great work.
A BBG is high on the list of rides I want to do.
Shame we don't get butter rum lifesavers here, they sound good. Years ago I found a shop the sold chilli everything, from crockery and art work to bleeding eye (and other orifice) chilli sauce. They had, unlikely sounding, chilli jellybeans. They were the sort of thing that you tried one and thought "Ergh! Why did anyone think that was a good ide.....wait a sec, that's not so bad". Never used them on a ride but they were great in a c@r when getting a bit drowsy. You only ever really ate them one at a time and only one every 20 or 30 minutes or so. Sadly I haven't seen them anywhere else and can't remember what they were called.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Great work.
A BBG is high on the list of rides I want to do.
Shame we don't get butter rum lifesavers here, they sound good. Years ago I found a shop the sold chilli everything, from crockery and art work to bleeding eye (and other orifice) chilli sauce. They had, unlikely sounding, chilli jellybeans. They were the sort of thing that you tried one and thought "Ergh! Why did anyone think that was a good ide.....wait a sec, that's not so bad". Never used them on a ride but they were great in a c@r when getting a bit drowsy. You only ever really ate them one at a time and only one every 20 or 30 minutes or so. Sadly I haven't seen them anywhere else and can't remember what they were called.
Sound good. Only able to find these.. :)

Attachments

I keep a bag of Atomic Fireballs in my tank bag (used to buy from local candy shop; now purchase the 3lb tub through Amazon). Each one last approximately 20 miles at 70mph. (avoid rolling on your tongue and biting the hard shell. Just let it sit in your cheek - definitely helps keep me alert when riding through the night). :)
My late brother owned a Standard Oil station and used to keep those things around for the kids that came in with their parents for gas or car work.
He'd ask them - "Hey... you want a fireball?" Most said yes. All the men that hung around there got a good laugh after a kid popped one in their mouth!! LOL!

WY88

Premier Member
Good job on the ride, it is tough.
I need to work out average speed, stop time limits etc.for a BBG. I've done 5 Saddle Sore 1000s since June 29th. (One which was a SS1k/BB1500) Some are easier than others, for whatever reason. With daylight being so short, not having "real aux lights yet", I have to go slower till I can see better, deer and elk are good to eat, not good to hit. The BBG is haunting me, I feel the need to get it under my belt, then more of them....