Just finished my first Iron Butt Saddle Sore

~L~D~

IBA Member
Well - when I was initially licensed I thought I was smart and said that I'd finish an Iron Butt Saddle Sore by the time i was 60. Funny how that time flies. Lo' and behold, May of this year rolled around and my husband said "Guess you aren't doing it, huh?" ack! So I enlisted a few friends and on June 25 of this year (2 1/2 months) shy of my 60th ~~~~ did it!
Score!! wow. It was exhausting and fun. but wow.. i know why they called it the saddle sore.
Anyways - just wanted to say Hi and had so much fun that I think I'm going to have to attempt another challenge in the future but as things are slowly turning colder up in Canada, it'll have to wait until next riding season.

:)

Well - when I was initially licensed I thought I was smart and said that I'd finish an Iron Butt Saddle Sore by the time i was 60. Funny how that time flies. Lo' and behold, May of this year rolled around and my husband said "Guess you aren't doing it, huh?" ack! So I enlisted a few friends and on June 25 of this year (2 1/2 months) shy of my 60th ~~~~ did it!
Score!! wow. It was exhausting and fun. but wow.. i know why they called it the saddle sore.
Anyways - just wanted to say Hi and had so much fun that I think I'm going to have to attempt another challenge in the future but as things are slowly turning colder up in Canada, it'll have to wait until next riding season.

Congratulations.

Out of curiosity how many Ks would a loop of Vancouver Island be?

-Mark

~L~D~

IBA Member
As you saw from the above post. The problem has been over the last three years Vancouver island has been plagued with the dreaded construction bug. Construction from Port Alberni to Ucluelet to Tofino has been absolutely atrocious and adds sometimes 3 1/2 to 4 hours of time – usually waiting in a line up – added onto the normally long trip. As well construction on the top of the Malahat, which is the summit between Victoria and the rest of the island also adds an exponential amount of time. It’s brutal…… And adds hours upon hours of time.
when I first thought of this route, it was suggested to me to utilize the iron butt trip. The problem is that with the congestion in Victoria nowadays it’s like trying to do an iron butt from south Los Angeles to North Los Angeles city in rush-hour traffic.

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As you saw from the above post. The problem has been over the last three years Vancouver island has been plagued with the dreaded construction bug. Construction from Port Alberni to Ucluelet to Tofino has been absolutely atrocious and adds sometimes 3 1/2 to 4 hours of time – usually waiting in a line up – added onto the normally long trip. As well construction on the top of the Malahat, which is the summit between Victoria and the rest of the island also adds an exponential amount of time. It’s brutal…… And adds hours upon hours of time.
when I first thought of this route, it was suggested to me to utilize the iron butt trip. The problem is that with the congestion in Victoria nowadays it’s like trying to do an iron butt from south Los Angeles to North Los Angeles city in rush-hour traffic.
oppressive construction & low speed limits makes all B.C. SaddleSores that much more of an accomplishment to those who have ridden here :p

Congrats, I think people doing Iron Butt rides for themselves is a rare kind. I have spoken to many people around me and just saying 1600km in less than 24 hours as scared them or others saying, I would do it for a good cause. Once you have done a IBA ride, it oppens a new world and many want to ride more (like me) but cold temperature is just one thing we cannot overlook. I always said it's not the temperature but the equipment, but up in Canada, nights are close to freezing and riding through it is just too much at this point in the year.

~L~D~

IBA Member
Congrats, I think people doing Iron Butt rides for themselves is a rare kind. I have spoken to many people around me and just saying 1600km in less than 24 hours as scared them or others saying, I would do it for a good cause. Once you have done a IBA ride, it oppens a new world and many want to ride more (like me) but cold temperature is just one thing we cannot overlook. I always said it's not the temperature but the equipment, but up in Canada, nights are close to freezing and riding through it is just too much at this point in the year.
Agreed. It must be getting quite a bit colder where you are. At least where I am, if the weather holds I can ride until maybe November - then again in March. Victoria riders can ride all year long.

Agreed. It must be getting quite a bit colder where you are. At least where I am, if the weather holds I can ride until maybe November - then again in March. Victoria riders can ride all year long.
I've been there in 83/84 and rode my bike for Christmas, but at -6, the cold was really cold. Over here, in Quebec, I still ride until mid Novemeber or until we have a week of freezing temperature overnight, but I only do regular rides of 250 to 350km.

Jacobs601

The Jacob Scroggs
Premier Member

Congrats on your ride.

Congrats on your ride.
Thanks, I am anxious to have news from IBA to know if I have sent all the informations. I started a bit croocked with no turn around point receipt on my first ride and on my second ride, I lost my camera with all the pictures of the ride at around 3/4 of the ride. I feel I got all the informations on my third ride along with my SpotWalla trip and track links and Google map link and pictures of my Basecamp tracking pages of the rides.