Keeping odor buildup at bay on a long trip

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I have another long-distance fundraiser coming up soon. The last time I was on the road for weeks at a time, my riding gear (especially my riding pants) started smelling super funky. It took multiple wash cycles to get things back to normal.

I won't have a lot of time on this upcoming trip to do laundry on the road (I'll take enough clean base layers to last the trip). What products do you guys recommend for keeping the funk at bay from my riding gear for a few days until I can get home and do proper laundry?

I was thinking about Febreeze, Odoban, or HEX Deodorizing Spray. Anyone have experience using them on the road?

I keep dryer sheets in my top box and will put them in my side bags and dirty cloths bags. It helps a bit. Other than that I just do the best I can to keep things clean.

Other than that I just embrace the funk and try not to stay anywhere long enough to care what others think and I'd eat with the situation when I get home.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As far as base layers go, I only take one pair of LDComfort shorts and a LDComfort top along with some synthetic T shirts. Even on multiple week long trips. The IBR was the same, plus a set of street clothes, just in case. The LDC washes super easy in the shower and can be put back on immediately, if need be.

Get into the shower with them on. Lather up with the soap at hand. Scrub/rub into the usual stinky areas. Remove LDC and rinse out in the shower, set aside. Wash and dry yourself. Do not wring/twist the LDC out, squeeze handfuls of material to remove the excess water. Lay out the same towel you dried yourself with and roll the LDC up inside it. Squeeze handfuls of towel to transfer moisture from the LDC to the towel. If you have an extra dry towel you won't be using, that works even better, (or repeat with the dry towel). Now hang up the LDC and it will be fully dry in a few hours.

In a pinch, just put the LDC back on damp. Within a minute or so, you won't feel moisture against your skin.

I have put T shirts that I've washed like that or in the sink over lamp shades while I slept too. Even 3 hours helps. I am not a big fan of taking tons of clothing on LD rides or touring and don't have success with a mesh bag on the bike for drying clothes. They tend to get too much grit for my taste, but last time I did that I lived in the desert.

On the outer layer, that's certainly more difficult. Not wearing cotton under your outer layer helps a lot. You trap a lot of sweat inside your gear with cotton, be that base layer or jeans, etc.

If you're going to spray something on the riding gear, I would suggest you avoid areas that will touch your skin in order to avoid potential irritation. HEX might be the best of the three you list in terms of being against skin after it dries. ODOban is more for laundry and surfaces not being worn on skin from what I read on their site.

Shawn K

Premier Member
I've used the towel trick for years with my LDC base layers. It works a treat!

I've never washed them while I've worn them, though. I've always hand washed in the sink with a little hotel shampoo. I'll have to give your way a shot.

My issue was mostly with my overpants. Even my Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2 pants (with the mesh panels exposed) seem to get really funky after just 2 or 3 days of use. On my upcoming trip I'll be on the road for 7 days, so I'm trying to figure out how to be more proactive and delay laundry until I get home.

Mostly, I'm wondering if I can spray the inside of my riding gear with something like the above mentioned products before I go to bed, and have them be wearable when I get up.

I sprayed the inside armpit areas of my jacket with a little bit of fe-breeze. It wasn't terrible, but it bothered me a bit. I still had to ride back home after the BBG and I didn't want to deal with the raunchy odor that was emanating from the jacket. It worked out well, no one avoided me when we crossed paths. Once back home I was able to tear everything apart and properly clean and disinfect everything.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Maybe my nose just don't work but I've never done anything beyond washing/changing my base layer. I guess I maybe a little smelly but I'm not looking for a date.

Shawn K

Premier Member
I wish I had your genetics. After a few days of constant use, my gear smells like a football locker room after summer practice.