Keeping Your Fuel Cell Cool

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I fill both tanks and forget about them for a couple hundred miles, then open the valve from the cell. Opening and closing isn't necessary.
I too open the valve once and leave it alone. The difference is with my carbed bike is I run the aux tank first and then run from the primary tank. The only time I have had an issue with either tank is when I topped off completely and then left the bike sit in the sun and got something to eat.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I generally burn through the fuel fast enough that it doesn’t pressureise quickly on the stock tank. If I am not on the bike she is in the garage, at least when I am home. As far as the vent, I have had the little check valve rock get stuck and was sprayed opening the fuel tank. I stand opposite of the opening now. The aux tank will sit full at least until I am at 1/4 tank left. Lots more time to heat up. Call me paranoid, I have been working in explosive atmospheres for the last 20 years and even liquid in a drip pan makes me double take.
As far as heading up your way. I think that on advrider iron butt thread the center of the world ride was mentioned for this summer. I would like to hit some northern states when I am up there. I probably need to check on that. I am looking forward to TOH. I wonder what misadventures we all will be getting into.
May I suggest coming to the Pizza Party in Jacksonville in March? You can walk around and check out all the bikes and see what they have done to them. Frankly, I am not aware of anyone doing anything to insulate their tanks.

And for ToH, be sure to visit VA as I am the state sponsor and I pick all the memorials and I can promise you that you will get to see all of the types of countryside VA has to offer :)

May I suggest coming to the Pizza Party in Jacksonville in March? You can walk around and check out all the bikes and see what they have done to them. Frankly, I am not aware of anyone doing anything to insulate their tanks.

And for ToH, be sure to visit VA as I am the state sponsor and I pick all the memorials and I can promise you that you will get to see all of the types of countryside VA has to offer :)
Chris, thanks for being a state sponsor. Your work is much appreciated by all of us in the ToH universe.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The Pizza Party is the IBA's annual event in Jacksonville, I believe the true name is the Jacksonville Party. It's now a banquet and is held the Friday of Daytona Bike Week. There is a SS1K and typically a BBG on Thursday and they will present the certificates Friday. Not sure when tickets go on sale but if not a Premiere Member I suggest watching your email after the new year and signing up as soon as you receive the notification email as the event fills up quickly

Here's more info on the event: www.irinbutt.com/daytona

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
The Pizza Party is the IBA's annual event in Jacksonville, I believe the true name is the Jacksonville Party. It's now a banquet and is held the Friday of Daytona Bike Week. There is a SS1K and typically a BBG on Thursday and they will present the certificates Friday. Not sure when tickets go on sale but if not a Premiere Member I suggest watching your email after the new year and signing up as soon as you receive the notification email as the event fills up quickly

Here's more info on the event: www.irinbutt.com/daytona
Non-Premier members can start buying tickets on Jan 23.

Traxx

Premier Member
LOL that sounds familiar. More than half of my hours are overtime. My 3 weeks at sea are 12 x 7 plus safety meetings and drills. When I am on land it is keeping up with training and licensing requirements. But it allows me the time off to do what ever.