Key West to Tuktoyaktok UCC?

RickRussell

Premier Member
I searched a bunch before asking and did not find a real answer.

Can Tuktoyaktok to Key West be used as a UCC? It is a true coast to coast. I guess technically it is the only road that you can actually ride to the Arctic ocean. I know that on a 50cc different start/finish locations can be used so I assume it should be the same here? There was a question posed on the Facebook page without real resolution but I couldn't find anything factual.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I'm not the final word, but given that the rules for a UCC clearly state Key West and Prudhoe Bay (and given what I've seen and know about the IBA), I'm going to guess that the answer is no.

People use different starting points for a 50CC because there's no specific start/end points mentioned.

Ira is a better judge.

Rollin'

Premier Member
The Ultimate Coast to Coast is the southern and northernmost points in the U.S. and the Canada North South Challenge Gold is the northern and southernmost points in Canada so it sounds like your ride just needs a new name to combine the US (southernmost) and Canada (northernmost) points.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I searched a bunch before asking and did not find a real answer.

Can Tuktoyaktok to Key West be used as a UCC? It is a true coast to coast. I guess technically it is the only road that you can actually ride to the Arctic ocean. I know that on a 50cc different start/finish locations can be used so I assume it should be the same here? There was a question posed on the Facebook page without real resolution but I couldn't find anything factual.
Unlike other coast-to-coast rides that do not specify required start and end points, the UCC states Deadhorse to Key West (or vice versa). So that's what it needs to be.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

RickRussell

Premier Member
Unlike other coast-to-coast rides that do not specify required start and end points, the UCC states Deadhorse to Key West (or vice versa). So that's what it needs to be.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Thanks for the clarification. I do want to do the Tuk trip, and do the Key West trip again. I was thinking about doing the Tuk trip solo and picking up my wife for the trip to Key West. I live very close to the half way point in southern Saskatchewan. I'm actually about 70 miles closer to Deadhorse than I am to Key West. If it isn't a UCC anyways I can do Tuk on the Africa Twin and the Key West portion on the Goldwing. Easy nuff. Still in the planning stages and weighing options.

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Rick . . .
If you want to propose or execute a new IBA certified ride connecting KW & Tuk, similar in concept to the UCC, keep in mind that one of the stated UCC requirements is: "You must ride the same motorcycle for the entire trip."
. . . Dave

RickRussell

Premier Member
Rick . . .
If you want to propose or execute a new IBA certified ride connecting KW & Tuk, similar in concept to the UCC, keep in mind that one of the stated UCC requirements is: "You must ride the same motorcycle for the entire trip."
. . . Dave
I do know that. If it isn't going to qualify anyways, I can have a freshly serviced bike with new rubber ready to roll at my halfway mark. If it was going to be eligible, I would do a service and install new rubber before carrying on. I have tire machine, balancer, and lift at home. An Africa Twin is capable all around, and my wife doesn't mind LD trips on it.... but doing a 5000 mile segment two up on a Goldwing isn't terrible either. I was hoping it was an eligible ride.... when the UCC was conceived there was no alternative to Deadhorse so Tuk never needed to be considered. Technically the only place you can actually ride to the Arctic Ocean Coast is in Tuktoyaktok. Deadhorse is "almost" the coast and a bus tour is required to get to the water.
I don't mean to sound argumentative, I was just looking for a ruling. The money I save on certification will pay for the extra gas the Goldwing will use :) Either way I will get an awesome adventure.