KRAZY KEY WEST 1000

igneouss

Premier Member
My experience:
It's an SS1K with a few mandatory photo bonus stops. If I recall correctly you do not need a starting receipt but you do need an ending receipt. Pictures and pic of the ending receipt are submitted via email. The photo bonus stops added a bit of time but it was reasonable to finish in 20hrs or so. You could ran any route you wanted as long as you collected the required stops.

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
My experience:
. . . Pictures and pic of the ending receipt are submitted via email.
For the JAX Party's Krazy Key West ride, as well as the SaddleSore & Bun Burner, the rider will not email the related photos. Rather, we will view them on the rider's camera or smartphone for ride verification, as we have done for several years. Ride material is scheduled to be distrbuted via email on Feb 20, 2023, to those registered for the rides. Ride material includes ride instructions and waypoints files.
. . . Dave

mkao1248

Premier Member
Just remember in your planning that Florida has some Toll Roads and Ez Pass does work as does the Sun Pass. No toll booths just electronic tolling. Smile for the camera .

igneouss

Premier Member
Seems like last year I was in KW late afternoon. Southernmost point and the lighthouse. In and out as quick as possible.
In case you don't know: Please be aware that riders who are 'on the clock' generally don't want to stop and chat.

Last edited:
By the way. A tip from a local. Stock Island and Key West will be the most congested parts of the ride. Most mapping programs will have you turning right onto North Roosevelt Blvd (which turns in to Truman Ave). With all the tourists here this can be slow. At the very least you'll encounter lots of stop-lights and crosswalks. There are two alternatives. One is to go down the center of the island (the Flagler Route), and other is to go around the southern edge of the island (the Airport Route). On any given day, both are faster than battling through North Roosevelt/Truman.

The Flagler route is 4-lanes (divided), and has a couple lights.

The Airport Route is obviously more scenic. More importantly, it is 4-lane with no stops and no traffic until you reach the left-turn onto Atlantic around mid-island.

The residential "Old Town" part of Key West (the southwestern area - north of Higgs Beach) looks intimidating with all the intersections. It's actually very quick and stress-free to get through.

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 12.17.32 PM.png

Keys ProTip #2. Typical mapping will route you along Hwy #1 between Florida City (on the mainland) and Key Largo. I strongly recommend using the alternate route along Card Sound Road (905A), particularly when travelling southbound.
  • Passing opportunities on Hwy #1 are limited, and you’ll definitely get stacked up behind someone driving slower than you want to go.
  • There are concrete barriers all along Hwy #1, so there’s no place to pull over if you have an emergency.
  • Card Sound Road has a few areas where the road pleasantly undulates. This is a nice change from the hell you will have just experienced driving through Miami.
  • Alabama Jack’s is along Card Sound Road. For me, it’s a must-stop. The place sometimes draws motorcyclists, has an incredible atmosphere, Chonch Fritters, and has been featured on TV and in movies. I know y’all are in a SS1K, but you’re gonna have to stop every now and then. Instead of getting tangled up mid-trip in the scrum of Key West tourists, you can stop here on the way back north for a quick bite, refreshment, and an experience that will really make you feel like you had a “Keys experience.”
Presentation1.jpg

I will attest to the Northern Route being slow,but I still spent less than 45 minutes total on the island including the two Photo Stops. a little over 20 minutes to get to the light house on the north route, 10 minutes to get the light hous pic, get to the buoy and get that pic, and less than 15 minutes to get off the island